What scanner has the greatest sensitivity in 108-136mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMD91123

I really like the PRO-2043 for sensitivity in this band. I remember the PRO-43 it was a handy radio as well. Joe Butler where are you located that you can get distant NYARTCC if I may ask. I may be in the market for a PRO-97 soon

Septa3371CSX1

I'm located in Lansdowne, PA, a suburb of Philly. For the NYARTCC I've only been able to pick up the civilian frequencies thus far and none of the milair ones. I've been able to hear the ones transmitted in upstate PA and upstate NY pretty clearly as well as the ones in Jersey. I only have 10 of the Washington DC ARTCC frequency pairs programmed in for the ones transmitted closest to me since I don't have a lot of space. I have the say the Pro 97 is great on the airband, at least the civilian side.

Rover

My wife bought me a RS Pro 82 for X-mas. I was not sure what to use it for as I have other radios, and the pro 82 being a pretty basic scanner. But...I found it does realy good for VHF Air Band, better than some of my other radios. I use it just for airband comms...My 2cents...73 ...Rover

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
My old 895 is great on the airband, and it does civil and 225-400 mhz, no sweat. You can get them quite cheap.

Of course, it's not always all about the scanner, the antenna plays a major role, too. Don't expect a duckie - even the ones that say they cover the air band(s) - to outdo a nice discone or similar fed with good quality coax put up in the air. Ain't gonna happen. It's a system, not just the scanner, that gets signals.

73 Mike

Turbo68

Mike thats 100 % correct and just to give people something to think about i bought an Icom-R9500 6 months ago and a lot of my antennas are specified for diferent bands but recently at a friends place i tested the R-9500 with a few cheap antennas and i can tell u that even this superb radio will not do any good receiving signals unless it has a decent antenna.

Regards Lino.

Yokoshibu

best one I have for the dollar is actually an yaesu FT-60R with 0.8 μV TYP for 10 dB SN (108-137 MHz, AM) ... it actually does better than my IC-91A that specs out as 118.000–136.995MHz 0.5μV for AM w/ 10dB SN But they both kick butt!

Biggest impact that i have noticed in my range is the antenna setup... I have 3 different antenna's to use and not always is it the one that specs better that performs better... I have a custom built 5/8 wave (tuned for 13?.??) and a hustler g6-270R my scanners work better with the G6-270r (which is tuned for the ham bands) and my IC-90 / FT-60 rock on the 5/8 wave... I suspect the impedance on the scanners are off a little making that so... the SWR on my custom is less than 1.4 : 1 from 121-143 insanely good bandwidth.... but thats why I love 1/2" copper pipe. something about large diameter elements and bandwidth ;)

Last edited:

cratliff

I have been using my RS Pro-95 for a couple of year now and I have not had any problems with it. I just got a Maldol AL-500H Airband antenna to use for scanning. It seems to be a really good combo so far! I agree with what many people have said about the BCT15 for scanning. I use the 996t for scanning air and milair periodically and I really like it. I am hoping to trade in my BC780XLT so I can get the BCT15 since the systems are identical on that and my 996t. I'm crossing my fingers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.