What scanner should i get???

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0dpt

I don't know much about today's scanners, but my wife wants one. The last one she had (~10 years ago) she couldn't use because she didn't know how to set the channels. Is there a newer one that can be programmed easier (from a windows computer and downloaded into the unit) that can be? I would prefer a unit that had good selectivity, a range from HF to 1 GHz+, and a S meter(or other kind of signal strength indicator). I'm not looking for the top of the line, but a reasonable choice.
Max

stmills

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) Sprint S511)

It appears you are in the North East Metro area so you are going to need one of the 9600 capable digital trunked scanners. Most that I am aware of cover about 25mHz to 1.3 gHz. I currently use a Uniden 396T it has a signal strength meter looking like the signal strength meters on a cell phone not a true s meter. All the radios capable of covering the MN ARMER system allow for computer programming, with the most advanced being the Uniden Home Patrol that you enter a zip code and it down loads the local systems from the RR database. If this is going to be a home based unit you can get by with any of the 9600 capable scanner going back to the 1st generation and do fine.

k0dpt

Thank You

Thanks for your reply. I would like one that goes down to the lower bands as I would like to "borrow" it from Sandy and track down some noise issues on 75. I live in Forest Lake. If you have any suggestions as to a scanner that will go lower, I would like to hear about them.
Max

JASII

Memory Capacity
What Scanner Should I Get???

You have interests in receivers that might not be posible to get in one radio right now. If you want to follow local public safety you could even consider a Uniden Home Patrol HP-1. However, if you want something to perform well below say 25 or 30 mHz, then you want a communications receiver. I have had an AOR AR5000 in the past. They don't come cheap, however. I guess the bottom line is you really want to focus on which you want first and plan on two devices. You could get a Yaesu FT-857D, which will tune from practically the proverbial DC to daylight, but it won't track the Minnesota ARMER system. You could even look into a WiNRADiO. Again, it is nice to have the all-in-one, but the Minnesota ARMER system has ruled out the Swiss Army Knife radios for many applications now!

k0dpt

Reply to JASII

JASII
Maybe I haven't made my interest in a scanner understood. My SO (Sandy) wants a scanner she can use and has had one in the past that she didn't know how to program. Use of use is the main factor in what she wants(she will use it most of the time). I would like one that could tune the lower bands and be portable to track down noise sources. I have a Yaesu FT-857D that I use on the Ham bands. When I "googled" scanners and tried to make a decision there were several that covered 150 KHz to 1 GHz+. I'm hoping anyone out there can help me select one based on their experiences instead of what the companies advertising says. I don't know anything about modern scanners and was hoping someone could help me.
The dumb one
Max

Status
Not open for further replies.