What scanner to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKolo

I am buying a new scanner and dont know what one to get.....I like the BCT15X because of the frequency range and CTCSS and the price, I have also considered the PRO 163......
I would love the BCT15x but i am concerned about all the extras it has and how hard i have heard it is to program. I dont listen to trunked systems just going to use it as a conventional analog scanner for public saftey and MIL COMMS.

If anyone knows of another radio that might be better in the same price range(225.00) please let me know.

Thanks
Gary

N8IAA

Why not the GRE PSR-400, the exact duplicate of the 163. It comes with a few extras that the 163 doesn't. It can be programmed with Win97, same as the 163, and generally is a bit lower in price. Check the Wiki on analog trunktrackers. It will answer your questions. I use my 163 for mostly milair and conventional scanning. When ever I am in the shack, it's on. Now, antennas are a different story. I use a magmount base with a commercial 150/450Mhz antenna. I have no problems picking up air refueling and assorted milair, plus my favorite conventional PD/FD. Just my thoughts.
Larry

N8IAA

I'm going to edit my last comment. Both come with the same accessories. You have to buy the USB programming cable for both, regardless.
Larry

Trekker65

Premium Subscriber
I am buying a new scanner and dont know what one to get.....I like the BCT15X because of the frequency range and CTCSS and the price, I have also considered the PRO 163......
I would love the BCT15x but i am concerned about all the extras it has and how hard i have heard it is to program. I dont listen to trunked systems just going to use it as a conventional analog scanner for public saftey and MIL COMMS.

If anyone knows of another radio that might be better in the same price range(225.00) please let me know.

Thanks
Gary
The Radio Shack Pro 107 is in your price range ($229 when not on sale) and does not require any extra software that does not come with the scanner. Very easy to program since the whole Radio Reference database is on a removable 2 gig SD disk in the scanner. Just pick out what you want to listen to and include it in your playlist (scanlist). The SD disk can be programmed in the radio or easily removed and programmed with the software that comes with the unit. You will need a SD card reader/writer for best use of the scanner. I have some real sophisticated scanners that require computer programming but I still like my Pro-107 the best.

GKolo

Just found the GRE PSR-400 for 149.99 online, I think that decides what radio i'm getting and maybe the Centerfire antenna from Grove also since i found the radio so cheap.

Thanks for the info

VegasMike

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking I'm going to order the BCT15X

I'm thinking I'm going with the bct15x I think this is the best for the price, I've done some research this unit can be computer controlled on the fly, unlike the PSR400 it's a little more expensive but worth it, plus its more aesthetically pleasing. I have a PSR500 it's a good unit however I'm placing this unit on my desk.

Well I hope you find what your looking for, comeback and let us know what you decide.

Thanks
Mike

GKolo

Gre psr-400

From what i have read i like the 400, I would love to hear feedback from someone who owns one.

N8IAA

Which radio has better sound quality GRE PSR-400 or PRO-163?

Barring any differences as to when made, they should have the same speakers, and audio output. I personally use an external speaker on my base scanners. I have a Motorola for the 197 and a ham speaker for the 163. Definitely a difference with the speakers:) Only the ears know, you may hear sounds completely different than I do:D

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.