What scanner to get? What will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coscob

im looking for a scanner to pick up police, fire and emt in the Greenwich, ct. 06830 area.........I can pick it up on my computer with no problem, but would rather have a scanner.......which one works, I hear there are all kinds like trunk scanners......I have no idea which one to get.......maybe radio shack or a midland........if anyone know which one will work in my area, please let me know with the model number........id rather have a better one than a cheap one..........thanks...........rob

coscob

thanks

ill check out the unidens you gave me.......im just looking for something good and simple, to turn on and listen.......the old ones with the crystals where eaiser........ha...........but I guess these will scan and pick up what you want to listen to? or do you have to set things.........been awhile since ive owned one.........radio shack sells one where you just put in your zip code and its suppose to pick up .......who knows.........I just want the best one for my area.......Greenwich, ct......06830 that works and easy to use.............thanks again........rob

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I would say it depends on what you're looking to listen to. I do not live near your area, so please take time to research on what you need for your area as I'm getting my information from the database. It looks like your own in particular is on the Town of Greenwich Trunking System. It looks like your system has both analog ("Mode: A") and digital talkgroups ("Mode: D"), so it would be advisable to get a digital scanner to be able to receive everything, but it may be possible to still monitor with an analog trunking scanner if you would like to go that route. I have included a list of all the digital scanners on the market below with links to their respective wiki page to allow you to read up on some of their features as well as be able to shop around for them. For Fairfield County, it looks like there is plenty of analog radio traffic still around, which only requires an analog scanner.

You may want to check out Mark's Scanners and his Easier to Read Manuals while you research the scanner you want to get. All of them have a terrific overview of the scanner and its features and can give you an idea if the scanner is right for you. If you have additional area specific questions, you may want to check out the Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum as they probably know more about your local area than I would from across the country.

Current Model:
GRE PSR-500 (Handheld)
GRE PSR-600 (Base/Mobile)
GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-106 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-197 (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BCD396XT (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996XT (Base/Mobile)
Uniden HomePatrol-1 (Base/Mobile)

Discontinued:
RadioShack Pro-18 (Handheld)
Uniden BCD396T (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996T (Base/Mobile)

Older Model:
RadioShack Pro-96 (Handheld)
RadioShack Pro-2096 (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BC296D (Handheld)
Uniden BC796D (Base/Mobile)

coscob

scanner

thanks for getting back to me.........im looking for something simple that picks up everything......police......fire and emt in my 06830 code........some people have gotten back to me with the bcd396xt uniden..........and radio shack sells that and also the one for close to 500 the pro 1 I believe.? I want the digital and trunk band I believe.........not really sure, that's why im here..........you people know a lot more than me........I have no idea what to buy........just want one that's simple and easy to use and listen to .........and portable...........thanks for all your help...........rob

coscob

I think the bcd396xt which has analog mode a and digital talk group mode d I belive is the best one to use for my area? 06830

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
im looking for a scanner to pick up police, fire and emt in the Greenwich, ct. 06830 area.........I can pick it up on my computer with no problem, but would rather have a scanner.......which one works, I hear there are all kinds like trunk scanners......I have no idea which one to get.......maybe radio shack or a midland........if anyone know which one will work in my area, please let me know with the model number........id rather have a better one than a cheap one..........thanks...........rob
Welcome to RadioReference, Rob.

While the audio feeds are great for listening to what's happening in other parts of the state, or country (out of range from your location), you have no control over the content. The feed provider sets what agencies will be streamed, and you have no way to hold on something of interest in your area. With your own scanner, you can choose what you want to monitor, and hold on, or lockout, a given frequency or talkgroup, if you so desire.
Uniden BC296D is a cheaper option. Or go with the Uniden BCD396xt.
The 296D (and it's sibling the 796D) might not be good alternatives, Neither would the Pro-96 or Pro-2096. See below.
I would say it depends on what you're looking to listen to. I do not live near your area, so please take time to research on what you need for your area as I'm getting my information from the database. It looks like your own in particular is on the Town of Greenwich Trunking System. It looks like your system has both analog ("Mode: A") and digital talkgroups ("Mode: D"), so it would be advisable to get a digital scanner to be able to receive everything, but it may be possible to still monitor with an analog trunking scanner if you would like to go that route. I have included a list of all the digital scanners on the market below with links to their respective wiki page to allow you to read up on some of their features as well as be able to shop around for them. For Fairfield County, it looks like there is plenty of analog radio traffic still around, which only requires an analog scanner.

You may want to check out Mark's Scanners and his Easier to Read Manuals while you research the scanner you want to get. All of them have a terrific overview of the scanner and its features and can give you an idea if the scanner is right for you. If you have additional area specific questions, you may want to check out the Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum as they probably know more about your local area than I would from across the country.
Besides the local agencies, if you have an interest in listening to the state police, I'd steer away from the BC296D, BC796D, Pro-96, and Pro-2096.

Currently, the Connecticut State Police are using this Motorola system:
Connecticut State Police Trunking System, Statewide, Connecticut - Scanner Frequencies
All of the talkgroups are digital; a few are encrypted (that's designated by the "E" in the mode column). All of the scanners Spitfire has listed would work on that system.

However, looking at the notes for this system, which is still under construction; eventually this will be a statewide system for both state and local agencies. If you look at it's database page, you'll see that all of the sites built so far, including the simulcast site in your county (Fairfield), use 700MHz frequencies. None of the four scanners (BC296D, BC796D, Pro-96, and Pro-2096) can trunk-track systems in that frequency range.

I would second Spitfire's suggestion to check out the Connecticut forum. There, you'd get better information, from people local to your state, as to what might be planned for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.