What Scanner Would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerpro

Hi,

I hear Uniden Scanners are the best and have been around for a long time. I'am looking for a Digital Scanner. I would like to have a one like a handheld so I could carry it around in the Mobile and the House when doing cleaning and what not. I've been looking and I would like some recommendations on what one I should get like what are the good things and the poor things that are on it. I would like to know. Thanks for all of your help.

cristisphoto

Yes Get It!!!!!!

YEs If you can foot the biil then grab it!!
I am SOO pleased with mine....
Honestly I think it's the best six hundred bucks I have yet to spend...

DL the PD Man yso you can se EXACTKY what it has...
Under Uniden's Support and Downloads is where you can find it...

Crista

Also
Scannersunlimited.com
HE has the New ones so ya won't have that Pesky Faceplate ISSUE LOL

Mstrfxit12

Operationwise I've found it to be a good radio. The memory structure is a bit difficult to get use to if you've owned bank scanners before but certainly not impossible. Computer programming is jusy about a requirement for it unless you just want a couple of channels programmed. My only fault with the 396 is the audio quality. I find it distorted and scratchy at any volume necessary over a quiet background however I have connected it to the audio in on my car stereo and that works great... Chris

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
For features, performance, and function, it is the best available Digital Trunking handheld scanner available, but if you want a base/mobile I have to say the the 996 is the best. The 396 will work for all these as well.

Last edited:

scannerpro

Ok good, it seems like this is a great scanner. I will do some research on it. I thank all of you members for helping me out. this is a great webpage for help!

red8

definitely the 396 and i bought mine communication electronics out
michigan and i got a sweet deal of a price $519.00 the same price
i paid for my 796d and they will get to you quick in fact i got with in
four days of my order the web address www.comunication electronics
incorparated.com
red8
good luck & as we say down in the bayou i see you while ago

scannerpro

It seems like the BCD396T is a good radio for a new one. I might be interested in buying it. I hate about trunking/digital is that they are alot of $$. When I get my weekend job I will start saving up for that what will take a while but I think it's worth it. Hopefully I will get it ASAP. But I would like to make a quick message, I thank everyone who has been comming in here and helping me out find a right scanner. Thanks

wjf

red8 said:
definitely the 396 and i bought mine communication electronics out
michigan and i got a sweet deal of a price $519.00 the same price
i paid for my 796d and they will get to you quick in fact i got with in
four days of my order the web address www.comunication electronics
incorparated.com
red8
good luck & as we say down in the bayou i see you while ago

Ditto that.

psol113

Bc796d

the 396 may be a very good scanner but i really like my BC796D,
I have friends that say the 396 is a bear to work with and as i told you in my e-mail, have a very good friend that live's in charlotte nc that works the news desk and they have 40 or so BC796D scanner's! there easy to operate and dummy proof.
not saying your a dummy but i have my day's LOL.

73's

KC0UHS

n1ck said:
It seems like the BCD396T is a good radio for a new one. I might be interested in buying it. I hate about trunking/digital is that they are alot of $$. When I get my weekend job I will start saving up for that what will take a while but I think it's worth it. Hopefully I will get it ASAP. But I would like to make a quick message, I thank everyone who has been comming in here and helping me out find a right scanner. Thanks

You could always consider picking up a used (but very good condition 396T) on Ebay. I've seen some go for some pretty low prices compared to new. Just do your research first and ask the seller questions.

STiMULi

996 but I move if from the vehicle to the house since I can't be in two places at the same time :)

It is not a handheld but it is a great mobile and base

yaesumofo

I could go on and on about this but I will keep it short.
The BC396 is THE HH scanner to buy.
THE 396 really does have an amazingly complete feature set. If it is in the clear and you know the frequency you will most likely be able to hear it with the 396. Just get one. Don't forget to also buy a decent telescopic antenna, and the butel software. that contribute some dough to this site and you will be able to program your new radio in minutes.
Buy one and enjoy it.
Yaesumofo

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Pro-90 what? :)

I like the 96 also, but if I could only have one or the other, I'd take the 396.

STiMULi

I have a 96 and I like it allot but you can not beat 3 aspects of the 396, 996 and 15... Dynamic memory allocation and then that problem with LTR and 700mhz trunking :)

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
If you look around here in RadioReference.com (RR), you will notice a member by the handle of "UPMan." His name is Paul. He is a project manager with Uniden (i.e. BCD396T). What you will notice is that he is very proactive here at RR and takes our input (ideas, concerns, recommendations, complaints, etc.) and helps us by answering the question, but even further, uses our input in the development of new scanners and updates of the software on current scanners. Yes, our input here at RR has made it indirectly into the new updates for the BCD396T and the development of the BCD996T and BCT15 via our input and interaction with UPMan.

My point: I don't see any other scanner manufacturer doing this.

You cant go wrong with a Uniden BCD396T handheld scanner. I love mine (at first it has somewhat of a learning curve, but once you learn in a matter of a week or two, you will love it, too). If you don't need digital decode (APCO P25) and want to save some money, the Uniden BC246T and Uniden BR330T are worth looking into, as well. There is a slightly older model that you might find available, the BC296D that does have digital decode (APCO P25) for less money.

Check out the RR WIKI comparison chart for Uniden Scanners: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanner_Comparison
and this RR WIKI Uniden scanner page: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanners

I can't comment on the RadioShack/GRE PRO-96, because I do not own one; but from what I have read, it would be a second place choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.