What Should I Have My "ID Search" On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcisive

I've programmed my Favorites well and all is good. But I was wondering if it was wise to have the "ID Search" mode to ON rather than OFF which I happen to have them all on. Is there a reason or advantage to have it ON? Just wondering.

Also on my 536 I've set the settings of the light to go on with "Open Squelch" but it doesn't work that way. It stays ON all the time no matter what I set it to. My 436 of course works perfectly in this regard and only puts the light on when the squelch is broken and a transmission is going on. Thanks for the answers in advance.

kmi8dy

id search lets all id's assigned to that system to be heard when they become active, if they are programmed or not. id scan only lets id's to be heard that you have programmed in the system to be heard. its kind of a discovery type thing. other id's may be hidden, and you will discover them when they become active, or new id's may / could be added and you will hear them.

Last edited:

dcisive

If I understand you it would reveal ALL those channels in a system that don't happen to be officially programmed in. Unfortunately all it tends to show is the ID number but it won't tell me exactly what it is or who it is. I can easily get that by simply pushing on the function button and hitting the 9(disp) button. That will also accomplish the same thing If I'm not wrong. Once again it will scan tons of extra stuff but their information isn't revealed as they apparently aren't officially programmed into that Favorites selection. Too bad there isn't some function or feature that would find those unidentified ID's and place their names into the system or reveal who and what it fully is in the window. Oh well...........nothing's perfect I guess.

lucky43113

If I understand you it would reveal ALL those channels in a system that don't happen to be officially programmed in. Unfortunately all it tends to show is the ID number but it won't tell me exactly what it is or who it is. I can easily get that by simply pushing on the function button and hitting the 9(disp) button. That will also accomplish the same thing If I'm not wrong. Once again it will scan tons of extra stuff but their information isn't revealed as they apparently aren't officially programmed into that Favorites selection. Too bad there isn't some function or feature that would find those unidentified ID's and place their names into the system or reveal who and what it fully is in the window. Oh well...........nothing's perfect I guess.

you can look up the id's in the RR database also a lot of people have fun trying to find out what some are that may not be in the data base

troymail

Silent Key

ID Search (and similar things) is what scanner users use to "look for" previously unknown or RRDB unlisted talkgroups. If the TG IDs are not listed in the RRDB (and/or Sentinel), no one has taken the time to determine what that TG is used for and/or submitted it for others to use.

However, if you've imported a system but decided not to import ALL of the known talkgroups, ID search will report those TGs you did not include in your programming as NEW with just an ID (even though they may not really be "new").

Having said that, the RR database is a two way street - you can use what others have found and submitted but you can/should help others and submit what you find for others to use as well. You'll just ant to verify that the TGID you have found is really not already in the database.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I always use ID search, and import all known talkgroups. If there is something I'm not interested in, I avoid a department or specific talkgroups rather than deleting them from the Favorite List. That way I know if something new has been added to the system without getting spammed with uninteresting stuff.

troymail

Silent Key
I always use ID search, and import all known talkgroups. If there is something I'm not interested in, I avoid a department or specific talkgroups rather than deleting them from the Favorite List. That way I know if something new has been added to the system without getting spammed with uninteresting stuff.

Ditto - in some radios (I have far too many), I lock out everything that is known and just watch for new stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.