What should I run up my conduit to the roof ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrnewuser

Aspiring HAM here ... very new ... and I just happen to be in the middle of a big home remodel.

While remodeling, I have added a 1" metal conduit that will go to the roof and I am wondering what the most useful and versatile wires to put in that conduit would be ?

My existing requirements are:

1) ethernet / cat5 cable
2) some kind of wire to connect OTA broadcast television antenna
3) RG-58 coax for cellular modem antenna

... and that's it. However, it's hard to run *additional* cables through an already used conduit so ... when I run the ethernet/TV/cellular cable, what else should I stuff up that 1" conduit for future expandability use ? What would be most useful/universal ?

Thank you.

MrColad

When I had homes my minimum conduit size from the radio room to the attic was 4" but if 1" works for you, okay. Don't forget rubberized removable end caps with snap clamps to keep out the insects though.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

a417

i wouldn't limit your self to 1 run of 1", and I wouldn't do the cat5e, i'd do cat 7 due to extra shielding and reduced crosstalk. Just a bit of futureproofing.

I'd do multiple 2"s. If you get adventurous, you're not going to get a length of LMR400 up there with all that other stuff you have crammed in a 1".

It is not hard to run additional cables up an appropriately sized conduit, it's the horror stories you hear from clowns trying to run multiple runs of NMC or something else up undersized conduit. I just had to drag 60 feet of THWN under my front lawn to my front light that was replacing undersized UF-B (direct burial) via conduit and it went very smoothly. If I had tried to drag MORE conductors thru there, it would have violated NEC for conduit fill ratio and been a cast iron *****.

A simple vertical run from room to attic or attic to basement should be no issue, size it comfortably large and make sure there's ropes for pulling and you will have no issues. If you cram a ton of crap in a 1" metallic conduit, you're setting yourself up for heartbreak. Minimal turns, and you'll have no issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it's not too late, put in larger conduit. 1" is mighty small.

2" minimum, larger if you can, and more than one pipe.

RG-6 for your OTA antenna.

Cat 5/6/7 4 pair cable can be used for a lot of different things, not just Ethernet. You can extend USB up there for a SDR.

I'd run something better than RG-58 for cellular. LMR-240 would be a better choice, but check with the manufacturer. Some of those systems like 75Ω cable.

Pull string is a must. Much easier than fishing it every time.

If you really get into amateur radio, you'll probably want something larger than RG-58. Bigger conduit will allow you to run LMR-400 or larger, which can be good for higher frequencies and/or longer cable runs.

Ground wire. If you are remodling your house and plan to be active on amateur radio, you need to fully understand proper grounding.

prcguy

Yup I would go bigger conduit. An Ethernet cable is not often used on the roof unless you are into long range WiFi but it could be re purposed for a small 4 wire rotor. I would put in an RG-6, and two two LMR400s for starters and maybe a second RG-6 since its cheap and small diameter.

rrnewuser

If it's not too late, put in larger conduit. 1" is mighty small.

I'm afraid it is too late - that conduit was installed and the wall finished, etc. Better than nothing, right ?

OK, so far: cat7 shielded - OK, sounds good.

LMR-240 for the cellular modem.

RG-6 for the OTA antenna.

Have I filled up 1" yet ? Maybe one more RG-58 for future, unknown use ?

Now, as far as the grounding wire ... that makes me nervous because you aren't supposed to run high voltage in the same conduit as low voltage, so am I correct this will be "grounding" low voltage things ? Or is this different somehow ?

Thanks.

prcguy

I would check code to be sure but I believe an antenna ground wire to the roof would need to run on the outside of the house and separate from the other conductors. The antenna grounding part of the National Electrical Code is under Article 810.

I'm afraid it is too late - that conduit was installed and the wall finished, etc. Better than nothing, right ?

Now, as far as the grounding wire ... that makes me nervous because you aren't supposed to run high voltage in the same conduit as low voltage, so am I correct this will be "grounding" low voltage things ? Or is this different somehow ?

Thanks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Unless you have a ridiculously fast internet connection, fiber, etc, up in the gigabit range, CAT 5 will be fine. Shielded is good, but only if you ground it.

You are getting close. If you can pull all that in at once, try some LMR-400. It's about all I'd run if I was doing any sort of real transmitting. RG-58 is pretty small for most uses. LMR-400 is kind of stiff, so if it's a straight run of pipe, you might be OK. I'd not want to pull LMR-400 through after the fact, especially with any bends. It's likely to destroy one of the other cables.

Thanks.

No, not a high voltage ground. We're talking about an RF ground. If you get into amateur radio, grounding becomes important. If it's metallic conduit (EMT, Rigid) you can use that as your ground.

But, ultimately if you put antennas on the roof or even in your attic, you'll want those grounded per the national electric code.

Once you start introducing bends in the pipe, the pulling resistance will become that much more difficult.

1" with bends sounds pretty tiny for more than one conductor

Pull a string in first!

When you pull in the wires - replace the string!

Last edited:

rrnewuser

It's almost perfectly vertical ... long 15 degree sweep to one direction at some point and then back the other then vertical again - should be easy to pull.

OK, thank you very much - I will pull:

- catX ethernet
- LMR-240 for the cellular modem.
- RG-6 for the OTA antenna.
- LMR-400 for future use

... and maybe a double of one of the above if there is room. We won't ever pull this conduit again, so might as well ...

it's metal conduit so we can ground with the conduit itself...

Thanks!

a417

You are getting close. If you can pull all that in at once, try some LMR-400. [snip] LMR-400 is kind of stiff, so if it's a straight run of pipe, you might be OK. I'd not want to pull LMR-400 through after the fact, especially with any bends. It's likely to destroy one of the other cables.

I would advocate trying to pull all of it at once, one at a time can be a NIGHTMARE. if you can get it started with all the cables at once, i'd try to get it all...mmckenna is right, if you get that LMR bound up on something, it'll do some serious work to it.

Appropriate cable lube is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.