What software does radio shack PRO-2096

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair

What software does Radio Shack use to program the Pro-2096? They pre- programmed my scanner in the store but the guy had no idea what he put in or where. The scanner is great and picks up everything but I like to know what I have.

Thanks

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
They use scancat lite to program your scanner, you will find that win 96 will be a lot better deal.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And it's very likely what the otherwise well meaning RS employee put in may not necessarily be everything you would like. Scancat Lite Plus simply doesn't support the 2096 nearly as well as Win96. One big advantage is, that if you get a premium subscription, you can download data from the databases here into the editor, where you can manipulate it to your liking.

73 Mike

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
RS programming

Flair said:
What software does Radio Shack use to program the Pro-2096? They pre- programmed my scanner in the store but the guy had no idea what he put in or where. The scanner is great and picks up everything but I like to know what I have.

Thanks

My local RS programs from one scanner to another. Heaven knows where the first scanner got its program.

While ScanCat might be the alleged program for RS, Win96 is a far superior product. I gave up on ever getting Mr. Springer to get his product to work w/o major defects.

n0lqt

If, like my store, they are cloning from one scanner to another, there probably was or is an associate that is a "scanner buff" that put together a list of frequencies for the surrounding area. Ours is not an all inclusive list by any means, but just a couple of hundred frequencies and a couple of trunked systems with talkgroups covering Police, Fire, EMS, Local Gov., Business/Press, Railroad, Aircraft, Amatuer Radio, and such. This was just to give the customer "something" to listen to and a general idea of what was out there until they could get their feet wet in the hobby, as it were. The stores usually have Scancat-Lite loaded on one of the cashlane computers and they can pull frequency lists as .RSD files off of the NAT-COM website, but those lists are not nearly as useful as something someone with an interest in the hobby can put together in a few minutes. I even had requests from other stores to put together lists for them for different radios that the Shack sells for their particular area. I would usually export it out of a Starrsoft program as a comma delimited text file and then import it into Scancat-Lite to save it as an .RSD file for them.

Flair

Issue with the Win96:

I tried to download from my Pro-2096 using the Win96. I went under "Scanner" and clicked "Download from Scanner" and I got a message that stated:

Unable to open the port//./COM1

2: COM1 DOES NOT EXIST

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

n2mdk

The COM port setting is wrong, what port is being used. Plug the USB cable in I assume your using the USB cable, open Windows Device Manager and under Ports COM & LPT see what COM port number the computer assigned the cable. Then set the software to that setting, it's in the Configuration menu under Serial Port

Flair

Another Win96 question:

I will give that a try, Thanks,

Also, when I try to download from the scanner to the pc, after I plug the radio shack " usb to scanner cable" into the scanner, the scanner reads

*CLONE MODE*
Up to send ,
Remove Cable to Exit

Should I do that first or do I click on the download to scanner link (located under the scanner tab on the win96 page?)

DonS

Flair said:
I will give that a try, Thanks,

Also, when I try to download from the scanner to the pc, after I plug the radio shack " usb to scanner cable" into the scanner, the scanner reads

*CLONE MODE*
Up to send ,
Remove Cable to Exit

Should I do that first or do I click on the download to scanner link (located under the scanner tab on the win96 page?)
Don't press any buttons on the scanner.

After making sure Win96 has the right COM port selected (via info in Device Manager, as described above), plug the cable into the scanner's PC/IF port and select "download from scanner" from Win96's "Scanner" menu.

Flair

Viewing after the download:

Thanks, everything you said worked.

Under the scanner tab I didnt understand some of the things I was viewing:

" Delay Atten Lout "

Some of the squares were black and some were white-

Also, on the bottom right of the same screen there was another Alpha tag option, what is that for?

Thanks again!

Radio_Lady

Flair

Pro- 2096 Screen:

Radio_Lady said:
See the answer I just posted to your identical question "About Win96" at http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=753431&postcount=2

Thanks for the reply, everything was covered but now I have another question...

I got home tonight and my screen is covered with lines and it's not picking up anything, any Ideas on what happened and what I need to do to correct it? Any help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.