What software for bct-15x

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarly

Well i just got my new BCT-15X and i want to try and set it up with software..... What is the easyest for a newbe....Thanks
Matt

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
2nd for freescan... and if you have another newer uniden scanner like the 246T you can load that file into your 15

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No matter what software you use, you need to understand how DMA works and how things are done with these scanners. Don't even think about using the Uniden manuals - there are the Easier to Read manuals (both printed - via Scanner Master - and downloadable) as well as our extensvie DMA FAQ. Both are linked here...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

chazcarly

No matter what software you use, you need to understand how DMA works and how things are done with these scanners. Don't even think about using the Uniden manuals - there are the Easier to Read manuals (both printed - via Scanner Master - and downloadable) as well as our extensvie DMA FAQ. Both are linked here...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

Went to the Freescan Wiki and looked around....I still dont think this is going to be EASY?? I dont under stand how the program works?? I got to the system 1 group 1 page but I am lost?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Everything in DMA is built around systems/groups (for conventional stuff) and sites/groups (for trunking). You allocate how many channels you use for each group, and how they are allocated, and used, by the use of various kinds of quick keys. There are several kinds, and it's absolutely vital you understand how they interact with one another.

I would strongly recommend you spend some time in the Easier to Read guide before you do any programming - as I stressed before, if you don't understand how DMA works, no matter what software you use, it's going to be very confusing to you.

There are also various Excel spreadsheets floating around the various Yahoo groups for these radios that can help 'teach' you how to work with a template before you do actual programming. You might also benefit from someone in the NJ forum sending you a FreeScan, ARC (BuTel) or UASD file (FreeScan will import ARC and UASD files) so you can see a practical working example. Often that helps make the light bulb turn on.

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

chazcarly

Everything in DMA is built around systems/groups (for conventional stuff) and sites/groups (for trunking). You allocate how many channels you use for each group, and how they are allocated, and used, by the use of various kinds of quick keys. There are several kinds, and it's absolutely vital you understand how they interact with one another.

I would strongly recommend you spend some time in the Easier to Read guide before you do any programming - as I stressed before, if you don't understand how DMA works, no matter what software you use, it's going to be very confusing to you.

There are also various Excel spreadsheets floating around the various Yahoo groups for these radios that can help 'teach' you how to work with a template before you do actual programming. You might also benefit from someone in the NJ forum sending you a FreeScan, ARC (BuTel) or UASD file (FreeScan will import ARC and UASD files) so you can see a practical working example. Often that helps make the light bulb turn on.

best regards..Mike
Thanks Mike.
I am slowly geting it.... this whole thing revolves around spread sheet programs which I have no clue.
I will look around. I want to start with the conventional Freq's first. Local PD and Fire ect. A question....when I copy from the databace do you copy the just the freq or the whole line. and in ez grab do I name the fields in any order?
thanks
Matt

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Matt it depends if you are using the RR web import or the EZ Grab tool. If you use the import, the web service will fill in much of the information about the frequency for you.

With EZ-Grab, the process is pretty simple; you copy the line(s) you want to use, then copy them into the EZ Grab form. You then use the pulldowns at the top of each column to tell FS how to map the data. Once you are done setting up the 'mapping' (as it's called), there's a button to import it.

These topics are all covered in the user guide - once you get the hang of all the stuff you can set up, you will find that the guide gets you through the definitions, but it's up to the user to figure out how you want to use all the options (such as tone alerts, which tone to use, how loud, whether to record and so on)

best regards..Mike

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Re: BCT-15X software

Well i just got my new BCT-15X and i want to try and set it up with software..... What is the easyest for a newbe....Thanks
Matt

I actually just purchased a brand new BCT-15X myself, "upgraded" from a RadioShack. there is 2 different programs to use for the BCT-15X. One is called ProScan (ProScan) and the other is ARC-XT (Butel Software), both are paid programs and vary in features. If you want total control over programming then ARC-XT is the way to go, if you are wanting more of a "control the scanner remotely from a computer" then the ProScan is the better choice, but both are great programs. I am trying to decide which one I want. FreeScan is the only free one that I am aware of. If anyone knows any other programs for the BCT-15X please let us know! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.