What software for BCT15x ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mel_3

Just got my first trunking scanner and wondered what software I should consider for programming and/or controlling it.

FreeScan:
- unsure who the actual author is and that is worrisome (not listed on CNET.com which is a quality check I've heard some people use)
But I would like to hear comments about the software.

ACR XT:
I found this online. Basic $40) and Pro edition ($80)

Thanks for any tips on what software I should get.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just got my first trunking scanner and wondered what software I should consider for programming and/or controlling it.

FreeScan:
- unsure who the actual author is and that is worrisome

The author of Freescan is a long standing member here at RR.com and has always stood behind his product.
For most of my Uniden radios I use Freescan proudly.

(not listed on CNET.com which is a quality check I've heard some people use)

CNET is a horrible site to use to gauge software security as they try to package spyware/bloatware with downloads through their Download.com website.
Just do a forum search for "Freescan" here and you will see that Freescan works great and gives you pretty much everything you need to program and control your scanner.

Butel which makes the ARC line of software also makes quality software packages. You just have to try both Freescan and ARC-XT out and figure out which you prefer more.
Welcome to RR.com!
Marshall KE4ZNR

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
CNET is a horrible site to use to gauge software security as they try to package spyware/bloatware with downloads through their Download.com website.

+1 on that. CNET makes its money stuffing your computer with adware crap.

oracavon

+1 on that. CNET makes its money stuffing your computer with adware crap.

For sure. Definitely avoid downloading anything from CNET. I use CNET to find SW and check the reviews, but then go to the publisher's website to download what I want.

You should also consider ProScan software. It works with numerous Uniden models, so it's great for people like me who have multiple radios. It has a ton of features, and it has a free, fully-functional 30-day trial (with an occasional nag screen), so it won't cost you anything to check it out. The $50 license fee includes future updates, and allows you to install it on 2 computers (including multiple simultaneous copies running on each computer). The author provides good support and regularly posts on RR.

I'd suggest trying both FreeScan and ProScan to see which you like better.

Mel_3

Thanks Guys. You gave me exactly what I needed... a good reference to freeScan and a couple of other suggestions.

Your probably right about CNET as they have over the years made it harder and harder to download freeware or shareware from their site...

I never use their downloader... but if I find something I like there I try to go to the actual site of the software and download it there.

At one time they did "test" the software for malicious stuff... but maybe they are not doing that now.

I'll download freeScan, and ProScan and give them a try.
I'm not sure if ARC XT gives you a free trial period but if they do I'll play with it as well.

Thanks again everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.