What stream do you want for WashCo area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm considering my options on providing a feed. I once did, for 6 years, but that repeater is about dead. I used to stream for Shoutcast, but will setup this time for Broadcastify.

Anyway, I'm wondering what I should stream? Non-trunking, but can be digital (P25, D-Star, etc.). Is there something easy I can get from Hillsboro that the community would like? I have no preferences, but I do have the spare gear to get started.

You thoughts? What should I feed to the web from my neighborhood? Any wants?

de frank k2ncc in Oregon

DickH

I'm considering my options on providing a feed. I once did, for 6 years, but that repeater is about dead. I used to stream for Shoutcast, but will setup this time for Broadcastify.

Anyway, I'm wondering what I should stream? Non-trunking, but can be digital (P25, D-Star, etc.). Is there something easy I can get from Hillsboro that the community would like? I have no preferences, but I do have the spare gear to get started.

You thoughts? What should I feed to the web from my neighborhood? Any wants?
de frank k2ncc in Oregon

Non-trunking? Most people want public safety and almost all public safety in the 4 contiguous counties is trunked.

SCPD

QRT
I still haven't figured what folks would want. My thoughts, if you're in the area, you really don't need the feed. Folks outside this area, methinks, would have little interest in e-comms, unless they're feeling nostalgic as they used to live here.

I can hit well over 100 repeaters here, but the popular ones already have live feeds. I could try a digital mode, but methinks few would be interested.

Perhaps I should setup a remote rig for people to control and pick what they like, such as found on globaltuners.com or sdrspace.com.

Anyway, I have a radio, antenna and computer... all dressed up and no place to go.

SCPD

QRT
Like what?

That's a long list Dick. Here's 300 pages worth:
Scannerstuff Oregon/Washington - Northwest Frequency Directory

I'm probably not going to put up a police/fire/ambulance feed. If you don't or didn't live around here, would you really care what my town cops are doing?

I'm considering a ham repeater, but that's a lot of dead air. I can hit well over 100 2M/440 repeaters from here, but can go hours scanning all the memories and not hear much more than an ID. When I ran a stream before, I'd get 1000 hits a day, but they wouldn't stay long as there wasn't anything to listen to.

There's planes, taxis, trains, ships, buses, etc... lots of transportation traffic. Might be something there worth listening to. FRS/GMRS/MURS, etc. Lots of businesses, but who wants to listen to WalMart staff or Jack-in-the-Box drive thru orders?

I've thought about digital modes, but that would make it more work for the listener, and I doubt more than a couple geeks like myself would even bother decoding. I'm also not sure how well that feeds. In my experience, remote digital ops can be tricky.

Obviously I can't feed any broadcast radio or TV.

Perhaps there's something on HF. A calling freq on 20M or such.

Lots of choices, but no winners yet. That's why I came in here to ask the listeners.

I don't want to do trunking, because it's more work for me to set up and requires additional hardware in my case. And most of the trunking I hear is ecomms and transportation, something already abundant here.

I think I'll browse some feeds and see what's popular. Might get some ideas that way. So far, the best idea I have is to setup remote control and let the listeners choose what they want to tune in.

Thanks for the opinions and comments!

SCPD

QRT
I'm probably not going to put up a police/fire/ambulance feed. If you don't or didn't live around here, would you really care what my town cops are doing?

Apparently people do.

I think I'll browse some feeds and see what's popular. Might get some ideas that way.

Of the top 50 streams, seems all of them are cops and firemen.

That's kinda disappointing, as I find those feeds about the most boring. I rarely listen to ecomms, so might also be asking for something *I* like.

Which means I might as well pick something I do and go for it.

But that doesn't seem to serve anyone but myself.

After a little more thought, setting up the remote-controlled rig (RX only) is my favorite option. It also gives listeners the most choices in one station. They'll be able to tune into whatever they like.

Something like this:
http://status.sdrspace.com/onair.xml

jeremym70

It was actually sort of a joke since I don't think hardly anyone else probably has any interest in listening to them. They have a bunch of lowband repeaters spread from roseburg to Tacoma. I listen to a few of the local ones near mollala, woodland and Longview.

DickH

Apparently people do.

Of the top 50 streams, seems all of them are cops and firemen.

That's kinda disappointing, as I find those feeds about the most boring.

Boring? In two hours the other night with Portland Engine 7 we had an auto accident followed by a stabbing. Last night a motorcycle hit the back of a van. The motorcyclist went head first through the rear window of the van and ended up on the floor behind the van's driver.
Portland fire is on track to make 80,000 runs this year, but i guess that's boring. :)

What's REALLY boring is to listen to a Ham repeater - yadada yadada yadada.

SCPD

QRT
Boring? In two hours the other night ... [snip] ... but i guess that's boring.

For me, yes, boring. Just my opinion, nothing personal.

We all have those differences. I've made thousands of JT65 QSOs, which for some, equates to watching grass grow.

If you like it, then by all means, don't let opinions stop you.

How about less "why" questions. I'm looking more for "what" answers pretty-please.

Last edited:

Baker845

It true listing to ham repeaters are lot less fun the Fire and Law feeds. I listened to just Ham repeaters and after about 20 mins it time turn law and fire stuff back on.

But if want put up feed for ham repeaters there lot good ones in Portland area. 6.980, 6.800,6.840

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
P&W railroad, if it's not covered already. They have a new defect detector near TV Hwy and Minter Bridge Rd

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Washington County (Oregon) Area Live Feed Suggestion

Every mans a boy at heart when it comes to trains so how about streaming one or more of your many railroad frequencies? Lord knows you got a ton to choose from according to the RR database.

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
Here's the breakdown for the RRs in the area:

Portland & Western (PNWR or P&W):Ch. 2 (AAR 07) and Ch. 4 (AAR 21) are on repeaters in the area. Ch. 1 (AAR 44) is generally simplex, used for local switching; and Ch 7 (AAR 51) is the Astoria Line - not sure what your elevation is or how high your antenna goes, but if you can get the A-Line from Hillsboro, then a P&W stream would be my vote! :)

Union Pacific (UP): AAR 27 is the UP Albina Runthrough and Omaha Dispatcher 01 for the Portland & Seattle Subdivisions; AAR 96 will be Omaha Dispatcher 268, Brooklyn Subdivision (Clackamas south to Eugene)

Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF): AAR 76 is the Vancouver Terminal Dispatcher & Vancouver Runthrough, which handles traffic on the Fallbridge and South Seattle Subdivisions.

There are various other switching channels in use in the AAR spectrum in the Portland area, but many are simplex yard channels that don't permeate the West Hills.

Having said all this, there is a feed provided in Vancouver that covers all of this and more, but personally, I would lean towards a dedicated P&W stream, if that's what you wanted to do. Also, let me know if you need a timetable and traffic info - sometimes it's very quiet for hours, and others, it's non-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.