What to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm really new here. I've been absent from radio for many years and have decided to get back into it. I'm even studying for my HAM license. I live in Hamilton Co. down by the O-HI-O. I've been reading everything on the web about the Uniden BCD396T and the GRE PSR-500. I've been told that's what I need as much of Hamilton Co. has gone digital. But I'm really having problems making up my mind over which radio to get. Does anybody have experience with the PSR-500? I've been told the sound is better. However, the 396T comes preprogrammed with my area. The both cost the same, I just don't know. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Orgelmeister

W9NES

Buy the Uniden Bc 396T, Stay as far away from the GRE-500.I do not like the radio and it is very hard to program with the computer vs the 396T. I have one of the 396T's and like mine a lot.Just my two cents worth !!!!

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
A lot has already been discussed about these radios in both the Uniden and GRE forums. I would suggest you read as much as you can in all the discussions before making a decision. I have the PSR 500 and think it's a great radio. There are positives and negatives for both radios and it will probably come down to personal preferences and what systems you want to monitor.

Dave

Last edited:

N8IAA

OrgelmeisterIV said:
Hello,
I'm really new here. I've been absent from radio for many years and have decided to get back into it. I'm even studying for my HAM license. I live in Hamilton Co. down by the O-HI-O. I've been reading everything on the web about the Uniden BCD396T and the GRE PSR-500. I've been told that's what I need as much of Hamilton Co. has gone digital. But I'm really having problems making up my mind over which radio to get. Does anybody have experience with the 396T? I've been told the sound is better on PSR-500. However, the 396T comes preprogrammed with my area. The both cost the same, I just don't know. Any advice greatly appreciated. I've also been told the 396T is smaller and fits in a pocket.
Thanks,
Orgelmeister
Apples and oranges. It is wise if you can go to a store and hold them in your hand and make comparisons. Is Reynolds Radio near you. I don't even know if they are in business yet. I've been away from the home state for 9 yrs. I am lucky to have a Ham Radio Outlet near by to make my comparisons. I have the Pro-96 which is the earlier version of the 500. So far, I've been happy with it(had it for just over two yrs). So far, I've not had to make any changes on what is monitored in my metro area. The 96 is used by many to listen to the Ohio MARCS system, and other digital systems in the Buckeye state. The 396 seems to have a better memory management system than the 500. Not withstanding, software to program any of the new radios is neccessary. Don't go by what is preprogrammed in the radio. Most of it is old. I'm sure there are those that will give a better explaination. Post in the Ohio forum, also. Lot's of knowledgeable people there.
HTH,
Larry

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Two threads merged and moved to the Gen Scanning fourm; please don't multi-post, thanks.

hoser147

Fortunately you live in a county that has a very knowledgeable and helpful group of people that have scannist club meetings on a regular basis right in your backyard. The Monix Group meets in Hamilton Co as much as a couple of times weekly. Check out the Monix group in Yahoo groups or google Monix. I have had a chance to play with both the scanners you are interested in and prefer (so far ) the GRE, even thou I was a Uniden man for years and still own several. R&L communications is right there in your county, and are active in the group. They also have a boat load of files for the digital scanners available in the groups file section, that pretty well covers the Hamilton co. area. For someone that lives in that area it would be a great aset. Good Luck and Good Scannin Hoser
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MONIX/?yguid=293142905

Last edited:

W9NES

Uniden Bc 396T vs GRE PSR-500

I have been a Pro Uniden owner for years and have many Uniden Scanners in my Comm center in my two operating positions in my home.The GRE radios are not worth the money spent on them and are very hard to program by the computer.If I was going to spend the money on a GRE radio I would buy a Uniden.A lot of the Newsmedia across the county use the Uniden 396T along with the Uniden 996T in the newsrooms and the station vehicles.I have never seen a GRE product being used by the Newsmedia in the news gathering operations or on there assignment desk.News directors across the county know what to use to help them get the story so my money is well spent on the Uniden Line!!

robo21

Funny thing is that I've been going through the same decision making process between these two radios. I find that the opinions I receive on the forum depend largely on what the poster owns. On 2 occasions I got replies from people who owned both scanners and both said they preferred the PSR-500. FWIW YMMV

Edit: Here's a link to one such post, Link to Post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.