What to chose SDS 100 or SDS 200

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedTobias

As always Thanks so much
I have yet another neighbor that wants a scanner. He doesn’t know to buy the 100 or 200? I told him to buy both. Well his finances-wont allow
that. I have both and love them! Told him I would ask the experts and see what the feed back would be? He lives two hoises away from me mine have perfect reception. Anyway all whats the Consensus Tough call for me.

As alwys Thank You really appreciate it.
Theodore

baj76

Uniden fanboy
My personal opinion, Go with the 100 ..You can use it at home or mobile, And i believe its 50 bucks cheaper

Ubbe

It totally depends of if he needs a scanner to be portable to take with him and use both at home and away and in a car.

It's always a compromise being done in portable scanners and it's better to have modules in a scanner seperated as much as possible and no need to take shortcuts to make everything fit in a small place. And the added battery and charging issues with a portable. Display size and speaker audio and more are always of better standards in a fixed base/mobile unit so if only used at home the SDS200 would be prefered.

/Ubbe

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
I have both. If he doesn't care about portability, definitely the SDS200. Volume definitely stronger. Seldom use my 100 Obviously, if he wants to be able to always have it with him im, then tbe 100.

Eng74

If they are just going to use it at home, go with the 200. If they want to take it with them sometimes then the 100.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
At home, I use my 100 more. I take it with me to the garage, to the yards, and doing other tasks around the house. The other radios require sitting in my office and that can be impractical.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Is there much reception differential between the two of them I have both and they both sound the same to me.

Thanks so much!

I cant say as my 200 is on an outside antenna. Have never connected the 100 to it

David628

Premium Subscriber
As always Thanks so much
I have yet another neighbor that wants a scanner. He doesn’t know to buy the 100 or 200? I told him to buy both. Well his finances-wont allow
that. I have both and love them! Told him I would ask the experts and see what the feed back would be? He lives two hoises away from me mine have perfect reception. Anyway all whats the Consensus Tough call for me.

As alwys Thank You really appreciate it.
Theodore

Hi Theodore. I own both as well. I would say the SDS100 would be best for them if only one radio can be bought. Running the 100 and 200 side by side you couldn't tell the difference in reception.

Cool function/life hack (kinda lol): You know that you can also run the SDS100 plugged in 24/7 to AC power via the USB micro B port just above the USB type B charging port. Thats how I ran my SDS100 for 1 year straight plugged in and sitting on my work desk and only took it off when I went portable until i got my SDS 200. It in kinda turns the SDS100 into a quasi "base station" when plugged in using a USB Micro B cable. The top port will not charge the battery and never harmed mine as far as I can tell. The SDS 100 battery on mine is still the original (large) battery and is still providing 7 1/2 hours of run time as it did when new.

Hope this helps. Cheers! Dave

TedTobias

Thanks all he ordered both he said he wanted to be like me. I told him to order the one that fits his life he said no read all your feed back which was wonderful and detailed.

Thanks so Much you made another person happy!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have both, and usually run them off the same antenna through a multicoupler. There's very little difference in reception between them. When using a duck on the handh, there will be reception differences due to antenna difference, but that's pretty much it.

minasha

If using at home I would say the 200 because you can set it up as a base station with a rooftop antenna for superior reception and if you
want to use it room to room in your home you can utilize the wifi with proscan and it becomes a virtual "hand held" base station still with
rooftop antenna gain.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS200 doesn't have stacked circuit boards like the SDS100, so there isn't a J401 in the 200. It has a ribbon cable or two going to the keypad and display, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.