What to do before testing for my first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv8mat

What all do I need to do before I test for the first time. I have the book from ARRL.org...... been listing to all the ham freq's 144/440mhz I can........ taking the practice test online........ so looking online some site mention a FRN Registration before you test. Do I need to go set up that and take the FRN number with me to the test?

what were some of the questions that were on the tech test lately?

I am just a little worried about this written test. I dont take written test well.

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Howdy

In General, I would recommend you look and see if any local Ham Clubs are in your area first & see if they have a formal Tech Class. Many of the Ham Clubs 'teach' the Tech Class for free, you just need to perhaps buy the proper book. for the class that they use....optional.

Also, many Ham Club classes have the Tech Test on the last day of the training & our guys have a full Saturday and Sunday class & wrap up with the test mid-day Sunday.

Even though you have taken the good first steps, the formal training will make the test go a lot faster and improve your grade I suspect....

You simply find the local Ham club go to a meeting, find out when the next class/test is, bring a real Photo ID to validate your person, fill in some paperwork on site, pay a small fee (typically less than $35) for testing/book, etc....and once you take the test they take care of the rest in filling with the FCC.

If you pass, within a couple of weeks or so you will have your new call sign....also, many states allow for you to have your call sign on the car-truck license plate, if you pay an extra fee I suspect...

Hope this helps and as far a Test Questions they are 'in the book' and are random based on the element. Study and take the formal class, and you will be fine.

Hope this helps....

Thx

Bill

jimbr1

I started to read the ARRL book, still haven't finished it, but I took the online tests at qrz.com- they have 100 different exams- click on wait till correct - keep taking them-then when you feel comfortable with consistent passing grades- take the test- if you are really stoked study for the general as well- you can take that if you pass technician for free. I only studied for the tech due to time constraints- one guy at the test really studied and passed all three exams in one sitting and got every single answer correct...good luck!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What all do I need to do before I test for the first time. I have the book from ARRL.org...... been listing to all the ham freq's 144/440mhz I can........ taking the practice test online........

Read, re-read, and take the practice tests over again, as many times as you can stand. The previous advice to find a ham club that does testing is good, too.

so looking online some site mention a FRN Registration before you test. Do I need to go set up that and take the FRN number with me to the test?

You don't need to worry about FRN registration until you get your license.

what were some of the questions that were on the tech test lately?

The online tests are generally doing a good job of keeping up with the current question pool.

I am just a little worried about this written test. I dont take written test well.

Again, the online tests are pretty good. If you get a good score on those, you'll to ok on the real test. It's the same questions. Don't bother testing until you consistently get a good test score online.

Last edited:

wv8mat

I have a background in the vhf uhf public safety communications as i work 911 and im the communications officer for my fire dept,plus im a big greek when it comes to electronics and what not, lol...... i have talked to people with my local ham club and they said they are having a walk in test on the first weekend in june and it was 15 dollars. I do real well on the online test and the book seems to cover alot of thing i already knew lol. I just didnt know alot about the FCN and the logging of contacts and a few other things but they seem to be stuck in my mind, after reading about them, lol

thanks

wv8mat

YES I AM, i took my tech and passed it. Didnt do bad thinking i couldnt make it to a class and only did the book and online practice test. I didnt waste my time doing any other test then tech because i knew i wasnt prepaired for it and I wouldnt be able to review my test after turning it in to see what i missed. As soon as i see my name on the web site, i am ready to start talking'

OhioX

Hi all, I'm a Newbie in amateur radio, So my question is.....Which ARRL book should i buy for beginners?

icedad

I am a "newbie" also. I was involved with the cb craze in the 70's, but am just getting the bug again in radioland again since I am now retired and have too much time on my hands. I have just purchased ham radios for dummies and wonder what else to read in order to get my license.
Thank you.

johnnyreb1121

The best way find a class given by a club. The fastest way is to get a book read it and take practice exams online. Just take like the first 5 tests as that will cover most of it. When you can pass these tests with about an 80 every time you can pass the regular test without a problem. If your having any trouble with some of it then take your book and review right before the test. Good luck!

D00D

Congrats mattgregg. Not sure how I missed the update.

For a book I'd just pick up the Tech License Manual. Like johnny said, though, try to find a local club that's doing classes. You'll understand a lot more at the end of it.

icedad

Thanks Johnnyreb and DooD. I have ordered the manual. Your help is greatly appreciated.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
One book I cannot recommend enough...The ARRL Handbook. Yes, it is pricey...but it is loaded with information for the amateur radio operator, both new and seasoned.
Congrats to all on their achievements!

duchee

if anybody wants the ISO of the 2009 or 2010 handbook let me know. i can probally also get you the PDF`s for it. PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.