• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

what to do with old cb radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofer76

hey I was wondering what you all recommend for used radios that I don't use ??
I have a uniden 510 and 520xl a couple cobra 19s that are diff in looks and a midland
the midland has never been used and the rest work fine but all are the compact type radios

id like to maybe set one up in the garage on a power supply and ant(but which one)
and cant decide between a cobra 19lx or 29gtl nw for my truck.
I like the look of the 19lx its diff , but the 29gtl has that classic look to it

anyway ive got 5 radios that I don't need so what to do????

TheSpaceMan

hey I was wondering what you all recommend for used radios that I don't use ??
I have a uniden 510 and 520xl a couple cobra 19s that are diff in looks and a midland
the midland has never been used and the rest work fine but all are the compact type radios

id like to maybe set one up in the garage on a power supply and ant(but which one)
and cant decide between a cobra 19lx or 29gtl nw for my truck.
I like the look of the 19lx its diff , but the 29gtl has that classic look to it

anyway ive got 5 radios that I don't need so what to do????
You can sell a few if they are in good condition! :)

tofer76

They all are. 2 need cleaned up but all work fine.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

tofer76

And what radio should i get for my truck(4 wheeler) i want wx and reliable.for sure

bill4long

1. Sell them on Ebay

2. Sell them on Craigslist

3. Give them away

4. Throw them in the trash

Etc.

Really a serious question?

tofer76

Yes a serious question. I wanted to know what other use their older equip for. Sorry if it wasnt a important enough for u to take the time to read and respond....oh wait...

Didnt know if anyone used them for anything i hadnt thought of yet or just pitched working equip.

tofer76

Lol never thought of that. Wife mows and she uses her ipod so that wont work.

tofer76

I really like the new 29lx but i like the features u can get with the 29gtl like nightwatch and others

Dawn

Contingency in one word.

In professional land-mobile, the operational model was to trade the radios in for newer models. The discount was often measely and the company didn't want them, just evidence that they were destroyed in some cases or they simply didn't care and they wound up in boxes that surplus dealers would show up and offer a bid for the entire system at pennies on a dollar.

My thought was to turn this into another revenue stream if possible. If the users retained the same frequencies rather then change over to our trunked system, invest a little and get them working and for every application, have a back up ready to go. Gel Cells in transit cases where it's plug and play, Mag mount antennas and a cigarette lighter plug where a temp mobile can be thrown on a rental..you get the idea.

Then there's other considerations many don't think about. Those old 23 channel radios may be obsolete, but due to crystal controlled circuitry last forever on a battery compared to a synthesized radio. That was my selling point on not disgarding old crystal controlled mobiles. In times of an emergency on a battery and squelched, these radios were power sippers.

They may be ugly and unwanted, but keeping a few working and around fitted with a cigarette light plug or matching whatever you use for your newer radios and some spare mag mounts, you're prepared for unexpected situations. They still sound the same on the air and do the job.

tofer76

Good point and i do have both a uniden pro520xl and 520 on cig lighter plugs and mag ant. That we use when we go on vacations to go car to car

SCPD

QRT
Put some mosfets in the 510XL and you can get about 28watts out of it. Great (cheap) lil radio. Had a buddy do mine for me. Keys about 6 and swings 28.

tofer76

And how do i go about this? ??

Dawn

Something I didn't mention because I have no idea what these radios are in most cases is the nuclear option. Parting them out. You have a lot of people on E-bay that would buy a replacement rotary ripped encoder, special dual shaft pot, swithches, or meter for $15 and shipping, but wouldn't consider buying an entire radio for 9.99 plus shipping to fix theirs. Many of these radios may be inexpensive AM units that nobody really wants on face value. But they share a commonality with upper end SSB units with many of the chassis parts, knobs, and components. Radios also have become pretty homoginized. The 4 pin cobra mics, 7" width brackets, and so on have become pretty much design standards. If you have an older mic for example that used an odd connector or arrangement, there's somebody out there willing to pay at least 15 plus shipping for it or more if it has unusual features like up/down or remote capabilities. There's where you need to do a little homework and advertise that a particular part is compatible with a list of radios. Sometimes the individual parts are worth far more then the sum if marketed correctly. Similarly, I used to retain series of radios that had many proprietary parts used across many models. Pulling a weird audio chip or cosmetic part from a junker vs ordering that part meant a substantial difference in price, often obsolete, and a fast turn around where no other shop would touch it because they knew they couldn't get the parts or a subassembly. Obviously not for everyone, but someone out there may have a radio that just happens to need a top cover, some knobs, or part to make their radio whole. This may not have been relevant 10 years ago, but lots of older folks as we've spoken about before are getting pretty nostolgic for getting their moldy unit sitting up in the attic working again just for the sake of seeing it alive since the good old days.

On the flip side, people wanting older radios that had conversion possibilities has been greatly eroded by the proliferation of export units, so finding and oldie with a 02A,'858, or 8719 PLL isn't the holy grail it once was.

PACNWDude

I have an older Astron power supply with a Radio Shack Realistic TRC-474 sitting at my desk right now. It is still good for listening to the local radio traffic. If you have a highway within 10 miles or less you may hear the local truckers talking. Not all of it is profane gibberish.

Status
Not open for further replies.