What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdrinks

I have an old AOR 8000 that i just starting tinkering with again, and was wondering if there is anyway. to listen to the police department here being that they have trunk tracking. Is there anything i can moniter trunktracking with this scanner? what would be one of the better handhelds that are out there now. I have been looking at the UNIDEN BCD396T. Any other suggestions with something that has about the same features.

af5rn

Do you need digital? If not, the BC246 is similar to the 396, but without digital, and considerably cheaper. There is also the discontinued BR330T, which is almost identical to the 396, but without digital. Someone has one for sale in the For Sale forum here.

Really, nobody can advise you well without knowing exactly where you are and exactly who you want to listen to.

Last edited:

rabidmoose57

It all depends......

I looked up your unit in the Wiki and it doesn't appear to be a trunking scanner. So, the first question is what area do you live in? What do you want to listen to? And last but not least, how much do you want to spend? The "396T" is pretty good from what I hear, but I'm a Radio Shack addict so I'm bias to the Pro 96!

mdrinks

I would like to be able to listen to everything. Don't mean to sound dumb but what would be the advantage to a scanner that is digital? this is the system that the city has where i live. ( Motorola Type II Smartnet )

Patch42

If the system isn't huge, you'll be able to monitor it, but it will be awkward and you'll get everything from the chief of police to the dog catcher. Program all the frequencies for the system. When you start scanning, the control channels will be obvious. Lock them out. On some systems the control channels may change from time to time, so you'll have to lock out new channels. Don't forget to unlock the old ones. My father has been scanning his local system like this for years.

At least by doing this you'll find out if you have enough interest to justify spending more on a real trunk tracking radio.

n2mdk

I would like to be able to listen to everything. Don't mean to sound dumb but what would be the advantage to a scanner that is digital? this is the system that the city has where i live. ( Motorola Type II Smartnet )

We need more info such as the actual link in the database or the State, County, City/Town/Locality. A Moto Smartnet II can contain digital communications.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
mdrinks...

In your link when you click on any of the "Trunked Radio Systems'" names you'll have a page pop-up that gives you all the information on that trunked system. Clicking on Sheboygan County you can read the info box at the top and see it's an analog system. Most all the others are also except the WI DOC and whatever the iDEN Std. is for Alliant. You can listen to all these systems, it may be hard to follow the trunked conversation but when you get used to certain dispatchers and certain traffic it becomes easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.