what to expect from my TECSUN PL-880

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't have the radio, but I can tell from experience with other portables - with just the whip, you'll hear the stronger stations rather easily. But a good antenna is always a help to bring in more. Putting an external antenna on that radio will expand what you will hear considerably. Outdoor antennas are always a better choice, tho. Do you have an attic where you can put an antenna? That will help considerably. Precisely what is your situation with putting something outside? If you can't, there are a number of possibilities.....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is a Yahoo group devoted to this radio...

Be sure to visit the files area when you join and download what you think would be worthwhile- this area is being deleted shortly by Yahoo

Miike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also let us know what you want to hear so we can point you in the right direction....Mike

marksmith

I have that radio and it is very good.
I would not expect a whole lot sitting in your living room with just the whip antenna. You probably have 20 devices in or near the room interfering with your reception.

Killing all lights, television and anything else electric will help, but an external antenna is needed to really listen to any SW radio. That radio has a great SSB reception. but it is unlocked with an external antenna.

All you need is a single strand of wire, run outside and to a nearby tree or other structure. The difference is amazing what you can hear.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Getting the antenna as far away from the noise filled home is a real plus. For starters - you can certainly build your own and there are tons of designs - the PAR EF SWL will work just fine.

Now you will need some electrical tape and sealant (available from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) to wrap the end of the coax that goes to the box on the antenna to keep the water out of the cable.

I'll let the users of this radio speak up about other antennas - of which there are many. The 880 Yahoo group will be a good resource for getting opinions like these....Mike

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
I have a Tecsun PL380 and use a MLA-30 antenna and it works great. You can order the antenna on ebay for about $45. also. I highly recommend to read reviews of the antenna. I also use it for my rtl-sdr dongle.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mike have you done the coax jack and coax replacement mods on your 30? And are you using the Bias-t that I also understand is a source of additional noise.... the other Mike :.>>

mikesatter

Member - K4AFT
Mike have you done the coax jack and coax replacement mods on your 30? And are you using the Bias-t that I also understand is a source of additional noise.... the other Mike :.>>
I have made no modifications so far. I also ordered the MLA-30 adapter for for shortwave radio.

trx680

Fast1eddie

The 880 is a sweet radio and performs amazingly well when used with external antennae. I am using a PAR End Fed mounted in my apartment's attic. Not going to get into my preamps and combiners, but the 880 never overloaded with any antenna I have ever used, to include a random length of wire clipped to the whip antenna. Very nice filtering, wish I had not parted with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.