what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

72stingray

i'm a newbie here. I don't know what i need. my zip code is 34208. bradenton florida manatee county. i'm looking to scan the city police and fire the county police and the sheriff's channels. from what i can figure, i need a trunking scanner. correct me if i'm wrong. any help with models and or tips in picking out a acanner. i'm leaning toward a portable but not dead set on one. thanks

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What to get

Did you check the RR Florida database for Manatee County? Also you may want to have your thread relocated to the Florida forum to receive a more accurate location specific answer. When the West Coast Florida guys see it, they will give you a wealth of information. Happy Scanning.

[!] The man formerly known as FLRAILMAN

jclarkr6

If you intend on monitoring the Manatee County Sheriff's Department and Bradenton PD, then you will definitely need an analog trunking scanner. There are several models of analog trunking scanners available, such as:

1. The Uniden BC346XT, more info here: Uniden Bearcat BC346XT Police Scanner Radio
2. The Uniden BCT15X, more info here: Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Police Scanner Radio
3. The GRE PSR-300, more info here: GRE PSR-300 Police Scanner Radio
4. The GRE PSR-400, more info here: GRE PSR-400 Police Scanner Radio
5. The RadioShack Pro-164, more info here: RadioShack PRO-164 Police Scanner Radio
6. The RadioShack Pro-163, more info here: RadioShack PRO-163 Police Scanner Radio
7. The RadioShack Pro-107, more info here: RadioShack PRO-107 Police Scanner Radio (This scanner might be good for a beginner, but I have not yet tried it)

There are other scanners out there, but this is a list of some of the latest analog trunking scanners. I hope this helps! Good luck!

CLynch7

Bradenton! My family has a place down there off Cortez and 10xth, and gee do I love that place!! The little bit I'm down there, I get by with a RS Pro-75 and Pro-51, both of which are non-trunking. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with these. I've yet to take my Pr-83 down there and really really test the Signal-Stalker feature. I'd get a dedicated analogue trunking scanner, although, in the long run a digital trunking scanner may come in handy, who know when they'll change over... Although, I do spend most of my time on Manatee Beach with my shortwave radio listening to Cuban domestic MW stations.

Last edited:

jclarkr6

The little bit I'm down there, I get by with a RS Pro-75 and Pro-51, both of which are non-trunking.

I am curious, how do you effectively (without missing a lot of radio traffic) monitor the Manatee County Trunking System, which includes the Manatee County Sheriff's Department and the Bradenton Police Department, with a non-trunking scanner? It looks to me as though an analog trunking scanner (that can monitor EDACS Standard) would be required for this system Manatee County Trunking System, Manatee County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies.

CLynch7

Just programmed all the frequencies in, looks like there are 28, and just let it scan. I'm not too worried about missing things.

jclarkr6

Just programmed all the frequencies in, looks like there are 28, and just let it scan. I'm not too worried about missing things.

I tried that on my BC95XLT before I got my BCD396XT, but it drove me nuts not being able to follow a conversation on a busy site. Still, I suppose it's better than nothing....

Status
Not open for further replies.