What to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scupking

I'm looking into getting a new scanner. Right now I have a ICOM R-2 and a RadioShack Pro-2052. I'm looking for something with more features. I narrowed it down to the following models unless someone has another opinion. I'm big into airshows and need the 300-400mhz range to listen to the jet teams.

Uniden BC246T (only issue is it does not do 225-400Mhz)
RadioShack PRO-164
RadioShack PRO-106

N8IAA

I'm looking into getting a new scanner. Right now I have a ICOM R-2 and a RadioShack Pro-2052. I'm looking for something with more features. I narrowed it down to the following models unless someone has another opinion. I'm big into airshows and need the 300-400mhz range to listen to the jet teams.

Uniden BC246T (only issue is it does not do 225-400Mhz)
RadioShack PRO-164
RadioShack PRO-106

For ease of use and the fact that you will be listening to milair, the 164 will be a better scanner for airshows. The few things the 106 will give you is if the airbase is P-25, you'll be able to monitor base freqs along with the show freqs. But, as most airshow scanner heads do, is to carry multiple radios to monitor as much as possible:D I've been known to carry at least three. I've known others to have a toy wagon to haul all their monitoring gear:lol:
HTH,
Larry

scupking

Trust me I have seen people at shows with about 5 different radios setup and big antennas all over the place. I just like to bring one scanner a good DSLR and HD video camera. For the past 7 years I have been using my ICOM R2. I like the size of the ICOM but always forget how to program it because of the lack of buttons. I'm assuming the PRO-164 would be much better overall then the ICOM? The nice thing is I have 2 military bases within 20 miles of my location (one with C-5s and the other with F-15s), one major international airport within 10-15 miles and three smaller airports ranging from 3 miles to 25 miles away. Being a private pilot I mostly listen to aviation channels but do listen to police and fire sometimes. I think I will go pick up the 164 tomorrow at the local RadioShack.

Status
Not open for further replies.