What to listen to on Cape cod: Provincetown area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

There are Power Restrictions [ERP] that have prevented many UHF repeaters from providing appropriate coverage, so Yes and No
Low Power = No interest
High Power = US Air Force wants to chat about lowering your power.

Also it is not just a Cape Cod issue, even repeaters up into the Boston area are impacted in Power, Antenna Tilt etc

Can hams still not use UHF at all down on the Cape because of PAVE PAWS?

ecps92

All depends - it is how much interference is being generated, not just Power of the TX device
OH...ok...so low power simplex (5 watts) should be fine... :)

Down on the cape now, except my Uniden has stopped working! Going to use my FT2DR for scanning and talking on the local repeaters! Anyone in the Ptown area listen for me on .520!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
If you have a radio that is NXDN capable, I like to monitor this system. I can receive it from here in Ct.
The talkgroups that simulcast marine channel 16 are cool. It repeats stations as far away as Nova Scotia sometimes and stations in my neck of the woods (Long Island Sound) and also Sector SE NE and Sector Boston all the time.
I monitor the Mashpee site (Site 2). You will hear the talkgroups for the Marine Ch.16, like 3201-3204.
I found this to be interesting. Not sure if I can hear this NXDN system from my house, but wondering how I can monitor either a control channel or another freq to test it out. Then I can decide whether it's worth the NXDN upgrade to my radio(s). I am unfamiliar with NXDN and what it is and how it works....looking at the link you posted you just monitor ONE SITE? And you hear all that traffic? I noticed there is a Fall River site. I am close (air miles) to there. I did notice pretty much low activity on conventional coast guard freqs. I like listening to Marine channels and would like to know if the NXDN upgrade is worth it if theres a good possibility I can hear this system from here.

ecps92

When you say "Low Activity" on the Coast Guard, are you listening the VHF Marine Channels ? or the USCG P25 Nets ?
USCG only uses the VHF Marine when interacting with the Civilian and/or other Public Safety agencys.

Try ALL of these [P25] in VHF and UHF
I found this to be interesting. Not sure if I can hear this NXDN system from my house, but wondering how I can monitor either a control channel or another freq to test it out. Then I can decide whether it's worth the NXDN upgrade to my radio(s). I am unfamiliar with NXDN and what it is and how it works....looking at the link you posted you just monitor ONE SITE? And you hear all that traffic? I noticed there is a Fall River site. I am close (air miles) to there. I did notice pretty much low activity on conventional coast guard freqs. I like listening to Marine channels and would like to know if the NXDN upgrade is worth it if theres a good possibility I can hear this system from here.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
When you say "Low Activity" on the Coast Guard, are you listening the VHF Marine Channels ? or the USCG P25 Nets ?
USCG only uses the VHF Marine when interacting with the Civilian and/or other Public Safety agencys.

Try ALL of these [P25] in VHF and UHF
Yes I meant the vhf ones. I will have to check out the P25 ones.....working on that now. Looking at the chart in your link
USCG VHF LMR [Land Mobile Radio] Frequencies ,
The description says both analog and P25 used and sometimes encrypted and in the clear. So how would you go about actually programming the frequencies in this list? Program it as a separate system but how would you do it when it would be impossible to tell which freq is using which mode if it may randomly switch?

Last edited:

n1ti

Feed Provider
there is quite a bit of VHF marine traffic around Buzzard's Bay/west side of the canal. You'll hear railroad bridge openings, commercial vessels checking in with Canal Control, etc. Also if you pass through New Bedford on your way that is a huge fishing port/working waterfront with a decent amount of traffic. You'll also hear New Bedford/Fairhaven bridge control there too. In the mornings you can can hear various boatyard launch services taking people out to their boats in the mornings and scooping them up in the afternoon. Activity comes and goes but there is a fair amount of activity on fair weather weekends. The fishermen conversations coming and going from New Bedford can get quite "salty" at times :) Enjoy your stay!

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yes I meant the vhf ones. I will have to check out the P25 ones.....working on that now. Looking at the chart in your link
The description says both analog and P25 used and sometimes encrypted and in the clear. So how would you go about actually programming the frequencies in this list? Program it as a separate system but how would you do it when it would be impossible to tell which freq is using which mode if it may randomly switch?
I for got to ask if I program radio both the vhf and uhf freqs like you mentioned, how do I make a NON TRUNKED system of P25? Never did that before. I tried in Freescan but it asks for talk groups. And you have to do this manually cause it isnt in the RR database.

ecps92

Yes some of them are still used Analog for various ops or Units.

P25 are not programmed as Systems. Only a TRS is a System
each one would be a unique Channel or object, you can program them [depending on your Radio, for Automatic detection]

ecps92

I would suggest reading the manual closer, for both the software and the radio

Ahh? These frequencies are in the RR DB

I for got to ask if I program radio both the vhf and uhf freqs like you mentioned, how do I make a NON TRUNKED system of P25? Never did that before. I tried in Freescan but it asks for talk groups. And you have to do this manually cause it isnt in the RR database.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I would suggest reading the manual closer, for both the software and the radio

Ahh? These frequencies are in the RR DB
OK I was able to use PROSCAN which was pretty easy. I did find the data in RR database, I first was looking in the wrong place. I noticed it auto detected the P25. So it looks like is up and running. Whether I actually HEAR anything though.......using discone so I should be able to hear something at some point.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I heard what sounded like the Coast Guard on 171.2375. Shows as US CG NET 127 in RR. In the clear. I’m located currently on The Cape in North Truro. I can’t recall how they ID’d. NAC was 293. Quite a bit of activity on Marine of course.

Picking up a lot of traffic on all bands with a J-Pole.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I heard what sounded like the Coast Guard on 171.2375. Shows as US CG NET 127 in RR. In the clear. I’m located currently on The Cape in North Truro. I can’t recall how they ID’d. NAC was 293. Quite a bit of activity on Marine of course.

Picking up a lot of traffic on all bands with a J-Pole.
Yes I would assume Cape Cod is a good area for monitoring. I have my BCD996P2 scanning the P25 Coast Guard channels. I havent heard anything yet. But I am leaving it scanning. I do pick up full scale the Newport Naval Base here in Newport RI. They are patched in to bases all up and down east coast and Great Lakes region. I can hear a lot of interesting things on those freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.