What to listen to on Cape cod: Provincetown area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be taking a trip up to P town this year and I want to know what I need programmed in my scanner. Obviously VHF marine but what else should I put in?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Might be taking a trip up to P town this year and I want to know what I need programmed in my scanner. Obviously VHF marine but what else should I put in?
If you have a scanner that works on a simulcast LSM system, then the RI Riscon system. But the Cape Cod TRS is still analog and u should be able to hear the Bristol site.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Huh. Okay. Is there anything interesting worth listening to from RI/Marthas Vineyard?

If you have a radio that is NXDN capable, I like to monitor this system. I can receive it from here in Ct.
The talkgroups that simulcast marine channel 16 are cool. It repeats stations as far away as Nova Scotia sometimes and stations in my neck of the woods (Long Island Sound) and also Sector SE NE and Sector Boston all the time.
I monitor the Mashpee site (Site 2). You will hear the talkgroups for the Marine Ch.16, like 3201-3204.

If you have a radio that is NXDN capable, I like to monitor this system. I can receive it from here in Ct.
The talkgroups that simulcast marine channel 16 are cool. It repeats stations as far away as Nova Scotia sometimes and stations in my neck of the woods (Long Island Sound) and also Sector SE NE and Sector Boston all the time.
I monitor the Mashpee site (Site 2). You will hear the talkgroups for the Marine Ch.16, like 3201-3204.
I have my 436 that has the NXDN upgrade. I'll definetly bring it along. Anything else I should pay attention to while i'm there?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I have my 436 that has the NXDN upgrade. I'll definetly bring it along. Anything else I should pay attention to while i'm there?
There are two other "repeaters" that rebroadcast Ch.16 traffic from the cape that I hear. 452.175 and 457.175. Both have a few transmitters from different locations on the Cape I believe because some days I get one stronger than the other and vice versa. Both are analog standalone repeaters. I leave the PL open but I think 67.0 Hz. might be one of the tones.

I myself will be on the Truro, Barnstable and Falmouth repeaters on my way down to P town. Will also be on VHF simplex because I think the PAWS system is still in use and I don't want to risk operating on UHF...

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
I myself will be on the Truro, Barnstable and Falmouth repeaters on my way down to P town. Will also be on VHF simplex because I think the PAWS system is still in use and I don't want to risk operating on UHF...
If you are up at 6am some morning, try checking in to our Cape & Islands weather net on 147.375 PL 110.9
I'm there every morning.
Have a nice vacation.
Bob

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Huh. Okay. Is there anything interesting worth listening to from RI/Marthas Vineyard?
MV is quite strong, however, when you're in Truro, you're going to be quite a ways from there. MV, Dukes County is all VHF High Band, very strong. Can hear it in Bristol County pretty regularly. (Easy to tell you get MV, from the 91.5 PL commonly used).
Bring a really good AM radio, you can get some pretty amazing reception out there. Also be ready, as the outer cape is famous for picking up tropospheric ducting and getting reception much farther than you think.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I’m there every August in Yarmouth for almost 2 weeks , if you want to hear td whole island PD & Fire then program in sites 4,6 and 11 for cape and then put in all the Pd and fd ID’s , there is a lot of action in summertime on the cape

I’m there every August in Yarmouth for almost 2 weeks , if you want to hear td whole island PD & Fire then program in sites 4,6 and 11 for cape and then put in all the Pd and fd ID’s , there is a lot of action in summertime on the cape
sounds like fun, I'll bring my 436 with me, that has everything in it, so I should be good there

Status
Not open for further replies.