What to listen to ? staying near Denver airport for 2 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpritjr

Hello

I will be staying near Denver Airport for 2 months soon. I see a lot of encrypted stuff exists. Using a rubber-duckie antenna only, what Police/Fire/Public Safety comms (NOT aviation freqs) should I load into my TRX-1 scanner. Maybe some county stuff?

Thank you

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Aurora Trunked System - only fire and ems (provided 3rd party by Faulk Ambulance).
Colorado Trunked System - South Metro Fire
Denver Trunked - you'll hear them there as well.
Most law enforcement is encrypted

eyes00only

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
You might try programming everything that would interest you for maybe 20 miles around if your interest is to listen to everything you can without a preference. Colorado has pretty good coverage due to the widely varying geography and therefore you will often be surprised how far you can receive sites. Almost everything nearby uses simulcast sites, so you may find that the closest agencies are the most difficult to monitor.

For police, your choices are restricted to a very small number of agencies in Adams, Boulder, and Weld counties, as well as Colorado State Patrol if your interests are traffic stops all day long. For fire, just about everyone other than Denver can be heard. The Denver Fire VocAlarm uses VHF as noted above for station alerting and you can sometimes hear Fire Dispatch on it when the automated voice isn't airing a call. For the rest of public safety, which I assume means EMS, then you have Denver Health that you can monitor.

A reference to check out is the State of Colorado DTRS Site Map and to try looking at some of the mountain top sites which will give you large coverage areas. The three that readily come to mind are Confier, Lookout, and Thorodin.

KD0DUJ

I have a Harris XG-75 with DIA programmed into it and I have heard DIA while I was in Lakewood and I have also heard Aurora Fire

KD0DUJ

I have a Harris XG-75 with DIA programmed into it and I have heard DIA while I was in Lakewood and I have also heard Aurora Fire
Hello

I will be staying near Denver Airport for 2 months soon. I see a lot of encrypted stuff exists. Using a rubber-duckie antenna only, what Police/Fire/Public Safety comms (NOT aviation freqs) should I load into my TRX-1 scanner. Maybe some county stuff?

Thank you
Aurora Trunked System - only fire and ems (provided 3rd party by Faulk Ambulance).
Colorado Trunked System - South Metro Fire
Denver Trunked - you'll hear them there as well.
Most law enforcement is encrypted
I have a scanner set up for DIA and Aurora I have heard them while Lakewood

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
OP is using a TRX-1 and may have difficulty with simulcast distortion depending on their location with Aurora
and DIA.

DIA has EMS and Fire in the clear. PD is ENC.

Adams 700 simulcast is a possibility.

L3 radios are not exactly wallet friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.