• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

What to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I have a G4 programmed with a system that has multiple sites. Initially, I only programmed the frequencies of the site that contained the talk groups I was primarily interested in. And it worked.

I then decided to add the frequencies of a second site, still in the same system, but no matter what I do, the G4 won't hear anything. I can still hear the traffic on the talk groups for the initial site, but not so for the new one.

When I go to PPS and look there, everything is the same, except for the number, system alias and system ID.

Where else, should I be looking for?

doctordave

Do you have it programmed to monitor both sites at the same time? It is possible that the device is holding to the original site (presuming the signal strength is good) and not hopping to the newly added site. You might consider setting up another zone with just the new site (and related TGs) programmed in.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I have it programmed to monitor both sides. However, not sure on if we are talking about the same thing?

See, like I stated before, I have already programmed A system with ONE site and that was working fine. What I did afterwards is, I added the frequencies of the SECOND site, and added the talkgroups that I wanted monitored from that site.

I then set up zones beneath the ones I've already set up for the first site.Other than that, I have no knowledge on how to make those new zones, listen to the frequencies for the SECOND site. Perhaps this is where I messed up?

If you looked at the profile, you would see under the "D" tab; "View/Edit Existing Profile", tab #2; "Frequency and System Setting", 40 frequencies programmed. 20 for each of the sites that hold the talk groups I want to monitor.

Then, under the tab for "P25 Trunking System Setting", the "WACN ID" and "System ID" info for both sites.

I tried entering the individual info for each site and programmed that into the radio with no positive results, except that for each instance, the only time the radio worked was for the initial system and not for the new one. I ended up adding the "FFFF" wildcard (?) hoping that that would do the trick. No dice. And so here I am, hoping somebody would know where I went wrong.

willdanl

Premium Subscriber
If you have certain talk groups associated with certain sites, the only way to choose which ones you will hear is to program each site as its own system, then on the zone & channel setting tab, have one knob position programmed with system A and its TGs, and another knob position programmed with system B and its TGs. Instead of one entry with 40 freqs as you describe, you will have two entries with 20 freqs each. If it is a true multisite system, both of your "systems" will have the same WACN and SysID - but you will give them a different alias and the RFSS/Site ID and freq lists will be different. You will not be able to scan them together. I cannot tell from your description if this is what you have already done.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Right. The G4 will remain locked on to one site, and one site only, as long as the signal quality is sufficient. It will only try to monitor a different site If you change locations or do something that causes the signal quality from that first site to drop a certain level. Only then will it try to find a different site with a better signal.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Right. The G4 will remain locked on to one site, and one site only, as long as the signal quality is sufficient. It will only try to monitor a different site If you change locations or do something that causes the signal quality from that first site to drop a certain level. Only then will it try to find a different site with a better signal.

Think I finally figured it out. I'm away from my pc, but, there's a place in the settings where if you click it you can select the site for the zones. Did that and now is working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W8VI

Once I got over the learning curve of using the PPS software and visualizing what a Zone should look like I am enjoying using the G4.

It can be a little frustrating the first few days but now I'm using the G4 for almost all Public Service monitoring. The Unidens are used for DMR, searching, Mil Air and some local VHF comm's.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
The PPS is pretty good, but needs improvement. There are parts in the software that could use a bit more explaining. Only after lots of trial and error, you start to get a better picture on how the radio works. It is a great device, portable and lightweight, with excellent P25 performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.