What to monitor in Riverside County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f40ph

Feed Provider
Kinda sums it up for most of SoCal...
General statement:
You can't monitor law except for CHP. Fire and EMS are "mostly" what you'll find you can listen to.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
As others have mentioned, sadly there is not a whole lot left to monitor in Riverside County with all LE being encrypted. CAL/Riverside County Fire, trains, air and AMR (if you are NXDN-capable) are about it. Hemet PD is still in the clear, however I imagine it is just a matter of time before they move to the PSEC system.

I had a bit of hope that with Sheriff Chad Bianco being more transparent than the former sheriff that perhaps Sheriff Bianco would at least consider relaxing encryption on just the main dispatch channels, however it does not look like that will happen. I wrote to Sheriff Bianco when he was running for Sheriff to get his thoughts on the subject. He very politely responded saying that he completely understands that monitoring is a very legit hobby that is enjoyed by many, however felt that it was an officer/deputy safety issue and that trumped the hobby aspect of this. I have a lot of respect for Sheriff Bianco and think he has been great for Riverside County, but sadly I don't think he is going to budge on this. I hope maybe at some point he will reconsider....

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Every time I read that encryption is being done for officer/deputy safety I would like people to push back and say" okay so can you please share with the public a study, or statistics that back up those claims. Since encryption have arrests increased, have officer injuries gone down, what quantifiable FACT can you show to buttress the argument that by only have 100% encryption can officers and deputies jobs be made safer". After 40 years a twice retired officer and deputy, I am still waiting for that answer !

pewpew45

Every time I read that encryption is being done for officer/deputy safety I would like people to push back and say" okay so can you please share with the public a study, or statistics that back up those claims. Since encryption have arrests increased, have officer injuries gone down, what quantifiable FACT can you show to buttress the argument that by only have 100% encryption can officers and deputies jobs be made safer". After 40 years a twice retired officer and deputy, I am still waiting for that answer !
I'm going to venture and say your time as an officer and deputy were at some small dept that had 20 people. Here in Los Angeles area, we have people called criminals who won't for a second hesitate to ambush officers as they respond to calls or while sitting somewhere. I have heard of numerous (More then 20 cases where the crooks either had the scanner app open or a scanner in their possession - some even had full two way radios listening to the local pd/sheriff). On all of those cases they were caught luckily because the responding agencies saturate the area even as the crooks were trying to get away because they knew the cops were coming. On several of the occasions shots were exchanged with the police and the crooks openly admitted to knowing the police were coming.
So with that in mind I support full encryption of the police as their safety comes way above anyone right or expectation of right to be able to monitor the police for their enjoyment/hobby. It's called giving the police back the upper hand of surprise and chance to make that difference.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
My first department has 1400 officers, the sheriff office has 500 deputies. As soon as I start hearing sheriff's and chiefs calling for guns to be abolished because it is actually guns as you state in your response that KILLS officers/deputies then I will agree that the rush to encryption is really about officer safety. In my humble opinion its really about the control of information and the keeping of information uncensored from the public. Democracy dies in darkness! Hey encrypt every channel except dispatch and I am all in. Between CADS/MDT's, cellphones, laptops, tablets and encrypted radio's on non dispatch channels all the objections you raised are addressed. Listening isn't just a "hobby", it is a right of a tax paying citizen being able to hear what is occurring in their neighborhood and being done by the people who took an oath to protect and serve them, the citizen.

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
Is 155.295 still the ambulance to hospital channel. Also it is good the Sheriff wrote back to you. How about suggesting that he put his Dispatch Freq's on Broadcastify with a delay for Officer Safety. I think it would be good compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.