What to name a talkgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I want to submit a new talkgroup for the database, but I'm not sure how it should be tagged and described.

Earlier this afternoon, for about an hour or so, I listened to my local PD follow suspects involved in **not sure what** as I didn't hear the beginning of the transmission. It sounded like the suspects were on foot at first and then got in a vehicle since the officers involved were talking about license plates.

Would something like this be tagged as Law Tac and described as Police Surveillance, or would some other description be better? Or, should I wait to submit it until I hear more traffic on this TGID? Today is the first time I have ever seen this TG come up while my 536HP did its ID Searching thing. At first I thought it was on the state system, but when I looked at the display more closely, I saw it was the city's trunk system.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I want to submit a new talkgroup for the database, but I'm not sure how it should be tagged and described.

Earlier this afternoon, for about an hour or so, I listened to my local PD follow suspects involved in **not sure what** as I didn't hear the beginning of the transmission. It sounded like the suspects were on foot at first and then got in a vehicle since the officers involved were talking about license plates.

Would something like this be tagged as Law Tac and described as Police Surveillance, or would some other description be better? Or, should I wait to submit it until I hear more traffic on this TGID? Today is the first time I have ever seen this TG come up while my 536HP did its ID Searching thing. At first I thought it was on the state system, but when I looked at the display more closely, I saw it was the city's trunk system.

Any suggestions and/or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I''d suggest that you post in the appropriate forum as it seems to me this one is definitely not it.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, there's one called "Database discussion" which seems appropriate for what you want.

But I am not an admin, so I might be wrong I suppose...

Yes, you're wrong.

The Database Forum description reads as follows..."This forum is for questions about the database such as how to use it, layout or usability issues or suggestions for improvement. It is not for pointing out wrong information or getting help with programming."

Since my question deals with how to describe / name a TGID and not about how to use the database, its layout or usability, I didn't think it was appropriate for the Database Forum.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Yes, you're wrong.

The Database Forum description reads as follows..."This forum is for questions about the database such as how to use it, layout or usability issues or suggestions for improvement. It is not for pointing out wrong information or getting help with programming."

Since my question deals with how to describe / name a TGID and not about how to use the database, its layout or usability, I didn't think it was appropriate for the Database Forum.

Well, I guess I was the one who was wrong. It seems the powers that be moved my question to the database forum, although it has nothing to do with how the database works. Oh well, what do I know, right? Right.

I apologize Ed; looks like you were right after all.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Would something like this be tagged as Law Tac and described as Police Surveillance, or would some other description be better? Or, should I wait to submit it until I hear more traffic on this TGID?

Moved to Database Discussion forum since this is a question about submitting information to the database which would be an extension of "how to use the database"

It would be best tagged as Law Talk.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
On the original subject, I'd think about the following-

Listen to the talkgroup a little more to discern more about the type of comms taking place. That may point you in a better direction. Also, it's possible with monitoring "regular" channels for the agency, you may hear something like "Switch to TAC X" and then hear traffic on the "mystery" talkgroup.

This one may be a long shot. Note the TGID number. Then look in the RR database and see if there is a TGID number close giving you a clue. For example, Gary IN police talkgroups are 16 apart (Police OPS 1 is 47040 and OPS 2 is 47056). Thus something in sequence to what you found may be helpful. Of course if this was a later added talkgroup, or some type of mutual aid talkgroup, all bets are off.

Ed6698

What is the talkgroup id number? Is it Hammond? I always have a wildcard going and have not picked up anything new lately.

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

What is the talkgroup id number? Is it Hammond? I always have a wildcard going and have not picked up anything new lately.

TGID was 208. Yes, it was on the Hammond/East Chicago system.

I've had one of my scanners locked on the system ever since I heard it yesterday, and have yet to hear it again. I've got the scanner recording, and I'll keep checking every 12 hours or so to see it the ID has been active again. I'm sure it will be eventually.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Just submitt what you have, not all talkgroups are active all of the time, give the Admin the info that you posted here, like talkgroup # and what you heard, the Admin will know what to tag it as like Mike said, sounds like law talk to me. also let the Admin where it fits AKA some systems have police or sheriff's.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Have you picked up anything else on the TGID 208? I have not so far.

No I haven't. I put that TGID into one of my psr-800 radios and "parked" there but not a peep out of it...yet.

I did pick up another unknown TGID the other day. Sounded like Hammond PD was doing some kind of test on remote sirens, and HPD was sending tones over that TG. I wrote the TGID down, but right now I'm not where the scrap of paper is. Once I get there, I'll post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.