What type of radio do I need??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCrk

I live in central in Mclennan County, Waco TX I am currently using a Realistic PRO-2024 with a GRE super converter 8001 to double the 400mhz freq. to 800 mhz. (Don't Laugh I know it's old) I am considering purchasing a new scanner and I am a little confused.
I read that TX DPS is going to APCO 25 VHF digital and not sure when that is happening or if I really need to consider the digital radios. I could spend the bucks for a digital but do not know if that would justify the $500 cost.
I would like a desktop model with a built in speaker
Thanks in advance for any advice
Bob

mciupa

Database Admin
Hi BobCrk, welcome to RadioReference :)

Looking at your home town and it's trunking system Waco / McLennan County Trunking System, Waco, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

you could get yourself a GRE PSR400 which is analog . (I only see one digital and one encrypted talkgroup listed)

If you want to spend more and have digital for any future changes as in the Texas DPS, then a PSR600 would do the job.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I live in central in Mclennan County, Waco TX I am currently using a Realistic PRO-2024 with a GRE super converter 8001 to double the 400mhz freq. to 800 mhz. (Don't Laugh I know it's old) I am considering purchasing a new scanner and I am a little confused.
I read that TX DPS is going to APCO 25 VHF digital and not sure when that is happening or if I really need to consider the digital radios. I could spend the bucks for a digital but do not know if that would justify the $500 cost.
I would like a desktop model with a built in speaker
Thanks in advance for any advice
Bob
Bob,
TX DPS has already made the digital switch in your area, indeed in virtually all of the state. So, to be able to hear them, you would need a digital scanner. The PSR-600, or it's near identical 'twin' sold under Radio Shack's model # Pro-197 would work. So would Uniden's BCD996XT (the current model) or it's predecessor, the discontinued but still available BCD996T. (The 996XT would be the better choice of the two Uniden's.) All of these are base/mobile scanners, since that's what you indicated an interest in. Besides a new scanner, at a cost near $500 as you already know, don't overlook the possibility of finding a good, gently used one, saving $100 or more. Check the classifieds on this site, or look on eBay.

As mciupa as already pointed out, on the Waco/McLennan County system there's only one digital talkgroup noted, & it's tagged as being encrypted at times. To your north, in Hill County, Hillsboro PD is also digital. So, you're not overloaded with digital as yet. You'll see the number of digital users increase over the next few years, but how fast is anyone's guess.

BobCrk

wasting money

If I didnt want to spend the 500 for a digital scanner would I be wasting my money if I buy the Pro-163

w2csx

Premium Subscriber
You really can't go wrong with the Radio Shack Pro-163/GRE PSR-400. They are the same radio. You can also get the Uniden Bearcat BCT15X which is what I got. But looking back at what I paid for teh BCT15X, I probably should have gotten the bcd996t or 996xt. The Local towns around here really dont have the money to spend on digital radio systems. But that could change overnight as my brother found out where he lives, no one knew about the switch cause as I know it it wasn't in the papers, he listen nomally saturday night and then heard on the radio, in 10 seconds the switch is made and bingo they went apco p25. So who knows. I agree 500.00 for a scanner is well I don't know if I want to spend that type of money on a scanner either. :) I see in your county they have both Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface systems.

mciupa

Database Admin
If I didnt want to spend the 500 for a digital scanner would I be wasting my money if I buy the Pro-163

I don't think so. You get a lot of features for a couple of hundred bucks. Save the other three hundred.

If you really needed digital, you would know, and wouldn't mind spending the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.