What type of solid copper 12 gauge wire for homebrew ground plane 2m antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlong

Database Admin
All,

I want to build a couple of home brew quarter wave 2 meter band antennas with a chassis mount so-239 connector, 4 ground element and the radiator, some machine screws, lock washers and nuts. As I'm looking for 12 gauge solid copper wire to use, I'm seeing "soft copper" and "half hard" bare copper wire. Which type is the most ideal to use to be able to bend around the screws and maintain straight radials once deployed?

I'm looking to build some quick and dirty antennas to sit on top of a PVC pipe with some good coax. Like this project seen here: 2 Meter VHF Quarter Wave Ground Plane Antenna - Ham Radio Q&A - YouTube

Thanks,

cmdrwill

Half hard copper wire would be better than "house wire". Half hard will not bend in the wind.
I used 1/8 in brass tubing on one I made.

nd5y

If you want something cheap that is stiffer than copper and can be soldered to then use 12 gauge galvanized steel wire. I don't know how long it will last outdoors before the cut ends rust.

WB9YBM

The hard stuff might hold it's shape better, but may break instead of bend if there's enough force applied. Haver you thought about metal tubing available in hobby stores?

WA8ZTZ

Solid copper building wire is too soft. It will easily bend as others have mentioned.
Steel coat hanger wire will work and it will take solder.
Cover it with shrink tubing for protection.
Screw a plastic wire nut on the tip of the wire so you don't accidentally poke yourself.

Last edited:

cistercian

I used copperweld for my vertical radiator and #4 for the 4 radials...because I am ridiculous.
It worked pretty well. The radiator flew off once due to a lightning strike so I used finer wire
in wire wrap technique to attach it and then silver soldered it. Over time, performance got poorer and poorer.
When I took it down it was resonant on 170mhz. It had a nice sort of melted ball on the end. Repeated lightning
hits made it too short!!!

Crows would try to perch on the radials and they bent...and had to be re adjusted. Brass rod would be ideal all around.

I use a Comet GP-3 now since I got a dual band vhf/uhf rig. No strikes so far...Yay!

cistercian

I was poor when I got my ticket and sold an old piece of gear and bought a Icom ic-2200h. I actually got my Extra
before I had a HF rig...which made me sad. I used rg8 a short distance to the antenna and the shack was at the base
of the chimney at the top of the stairs. It worked great! And...I could afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.