What version DSP is on the legacy updated Pro-668 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2OVX

How do I display the current firmware and DSP version of the scanner ?
Does any know if the legacy upgrade gives you the most current DSP and what version is the most current?
And does it update the scanner firmware to 4.8 or 4.6 ?
I am trying to decide if it is worth paying for the upgrade or if it will only give me what I already have.

Thanks
Bill

KC2OVX

Thanks.
How well does the DSP update work on decoding the phase 2 digital 700 MHzP25 simulcast systems ?
As good as the TRX-1 ?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
It will work but it will still suffer from simulcast distortion.
No amount of firmware updates will fix it as its a hardware limitation.

KC2OVX

I have to go to the post office and pick up the 668 I just bought. I am going to make sure it works, then pay for the upgrade and ship it to Whistler for the upgrade. I thought about doing the unofficial upgrade, but it says if the date is set after 2017 that. It will brick it. On the web they say they replace the daughter board. I think that is only if it is bricked. I am 99% sure the 668 is identical to the 1080 in every way except for the firmware and something else that prevents loading the ws1080 firmware. The bootloader most likely needs to be re-written with the Whistler one. Once they do the official upgrade I can use the EZ software and set the correct date and not have to worry.

How does it keep the date ? Is there a 2032 battery on the board ? Or does it just loose the date if the battery pack goes dead ?

Thanks

Bill

hill

Premium Subscriber
To display the firmware, DSP and library versions in the radio just push the menu button on the radio just prior to startup. The information will be displayed on the screen.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have to go to the post office and pick up the 668 I just bought. I am going to make sure it works, then pay for the upgrade and ship it to Whistler for the upgrade. I thought about doing the unofficial upgrade, but it says if the date is set after 2017 that. It will brick it. On the web they say they replace the daughter board. I think that is only if it is bricked. I am 99% sure the 668 is identical to the 1080 in every way except for the firmware and something else that prevents loading the ws1080 firmware. The bootloader most likely needs to be re-written with the Whistler one. Once they do the official upgrade I can use the EZ software and set the correct date and not have to worry.

How does it keep the date ? Is there a 2032 battery on the board ? Or does it just loose the date if the battery pack goes dead ?

Thanks

Bill
I will answer the simple question first, with the batteries in the scanner or power supplied to the scanner it keeps the TIME remove both and the clock resets.

For the unofficial hack.... the files needed are out there if you know the right people. Those files work fine as long as you have the first version of DSP 3.1 or older (Dated BEFORE July,1 2017)... anything newer and it will BRICK the "daughter board" this includes the second version of DSP 3.1 or newer yes they made 2 version of of te same dsp firmware to break the scanners using the hacked cpu firmware....only way to tell which version of 3.1 you have is to roll the dice and install it or find that person who may still have a copy of it.

The 2017 date, to be exact using any version of DSP dated AFTER June 30, 2017 will partially cripple the scanner. Pay the $59.99 plus shipping and send the scanner in, then you can update whenever and not worry about the DSP version or creating a more costly repair.

minasha

The programming software for the Pro--68 can no longer be updated from the program itself.
That means if you don't already have a copy of firmware 2.3 or 2.4 you can"t download it using the hacked program.
So if you load the hacked firmware into the pro-668 there's no going back to stock Pro-668 again.
For $60 it's worth sending in a pro-668 and getting back a WS 1080 in a Radio Shack case.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The programming software for the Pro--68 can no longer be updated from the program itself.
That means if you don't already have a copy of firmware 2.3 or 2.4 you can"t download it using the hacked program.
So if you load the hacked firmware into the pro-668 there's no going back to stock Pro-668 again.
For $60 it's worth sending in a pro-668 and getting back a WS 1080 in a Radio Shack case.
That is not true the hacker tool will allow you to download your cpu firmware from the scanner and does it automatically so you can roll it back.

The dsp firmware is actually on the micro sdcard in the ini folder. Either way there are people who have these files.

There really is little benefit to hacking it...you will be stuck because there has been newer cpu updates and DSP updates since 2017 and the only support from whistler you will get if you hack it is a bigger bill to fix the scanner should you accidently put on the wrong dsp version....you will loose dmr doing that and that is one reason the logic board has to be replaced the other is when it gets stuck in update mode.

minasha

That is not true the hacker tool will allow you to download your cpu firmware from the scanner and does it automatically so you can roll it back.

The dsp firmware is actually on the micro sdcard in the ini folder. Either way there are people who have these files.

There really is little benefit to hacking it...you will be stuck because there has been newer cpu updates and DSP updates since 2017 and the only support from whistler you will get if you hack it is a bigger bill to fix the scanner should you accidently put on the wrong dsp version....you will loose dmr doing that and that is one reason the logic board has to be replaced the other is when it gets stuck in update mode.
In the hacker software it allowed you to download the firmware 2.4 for pro-668 in case you want to go back to stock You can't download 2.4 in the greftool program anymore. Just launch the radio shack p[ro-668 program software and try to update the library or the program software
you will get an error message every time. Looks like Whistler killed any updating on the pro-668.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
In the hacker software it allowed you to download the firmware 2.4 for pro-668 in case you want to go back to stock You can't download 2.4 in the greftool program anymore. Just launch the radio shack p[ro-668 program software and try to update the library or the program software
you will get an error message every time. Looks like Whistler killed any updating on the pro-668.
If you know the right people ALL the files needed are available to make the hack work. The tool will no longer automatically parse them. Iscan library updating is no longer automatic and impossible for Firmwares.

minasha

If you know the right people ALL the files needed are available to make the hack work. The tool will no longer automatically parse them. Iscan library updating is no longer automatic and impossible for Firmwares.
I agree that sending it to Whistler for Legacy update is the best way to go

bharvey2

I think the 2017 date you are referring to (bricking the scanner) only applies to the date of the DSP file, not the system clock/date. I performed the hack when it came out and have not performed any other updates since. I can power up my scanner enter the correct date and time and my scanner continues to work. As noted, I'm pretty much stuck with what I have until I send it to Whistler.

bharvey2

Its worth 60 bucks to upgrade a pro-668 to a ws 1080.

I've heard that it is a worthwhile upgrade but it just hasn't made it up high enough on my "To Do" list. I should probably get it done before they stop offering the upgrade.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I've heard that it is a worthwhile upgrade but it just hasn't made it up high enough on my "To Do" list. I should probably get it done before they stop offering the upgrade.
Yes, I bought mine with the $10 discount at Christmas time.

Status
Not open for further replies.