What VHIF Frequencies if any is WSP still using along I-80 Corridor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderchaser

My first time posting on the Wyoming forum. I used to listen to WSP in the old days on VHF. SInce WYO Link started, are there any VHF frequencies that are still active along the I-80 corridor? I travel from Cheyenne to Evanston often and also up to Jackson. I am mainly interested in WSP or WDOT.

mpreece

Wyoming Highway Patrol and WYDOT are almost exclusively on P25 WYOLINK which is mostly VHF with a few 800mhz sites. Wyoming State Penitentiary (WSP) in Rawlins is not on WYOLINK but is on VHF, though I doubt that was who you meant!

David628

Premium Subscriber
My first time posting on the Wyoming forum. I used to listen to WSP in the old days on VHF. SInce WYO Link started, are there any VHF frequencies that are still active along the I-80 corridor? I travel from Cheyenne to Evanston often and also up to Jackson. I am mainly interested in WSP or WDOT.

Most of WY uses the WyoLink system which is mostly VHF. Found here: WyoLink Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

WyoLink

System Name:WyoLink
County:4 counties
System Type:Project 25 Phase I
System Voice:APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
Last Updated:May 1, 2021, 4:40 pm (Changed Talkgroup Category: United States Air Force to United States Air Force(United States Air Force))

Just get a Uniden BCD536HP/BCD436HP scanner (or any other P25 Phase 1 scanner) to monitor this system.

wyomingmedic

There is no analog activity to speak of. WHP has the ability to use the old analog Mut-Aid repeater system, and a few others like SALECS and such. But, even though they have the ability, I have not heard them actually use those channels in probably 5+ years between Cheyenne and Rawlins.

WyDOT plows, Game and Fish, and basically every state agency is off of analog almost completely. You can still hear SOME county radio traffic on analog, but that amount seems to be decreasing by the day.

powderchaser

Thank You. Excuse my newbie ness to P25. My radios are old school analog (Spectra, etc.). Can I purchase a new Kenwood or Motorola and program the P25 frequencies and codes into it? I currently can hear WYO Link on my hand held Radio Shack which searches by zip code. It works pretty good when on the road but just wondering about programming a mobile radio versus a scanner. Also, what scanner is best to program specific frequencies with P25 (Portable)? I have a radio shack but it's only useable by searching by city or zip code versus entering actual frequencies.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
No you can not just program a trunking system into the radio. You would need system keys to unlock the programming software and those are restricted to the system admins and authorized programmers. Best to stick with a newer scanner.

wyomingmedic

Agreed with the above comment. There are all manner of tricks to make commercial radios NAS (non affiliate scan), but they can be a real PITA to setup correctly. Especially if you define yourself as a "newbie" when it comes to P25 stuff.

The modern SDS scanner line really does a great job of following these systems better than has ever really been available to scanner hobbyists. And there is no chance of getting yourself in trouble LOL. And their performance is pretty darn close to that of commercial subscriber radios IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.