What was I hearing at 173.25 mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackJohnsrud

I am in NE Iowa by the River. My frequency counter picked up 173.25 transmitting nearby. I tuned the scanner to that frequency and I was hearing the County's law enforcement repeater signal (which has an output in the 155 mhz range) being transmitted. This lasted for about a half hour and I haven't heard it since. We don't even pick up the repeater very well in the River valley, but this was a very clear and strong signal. The FCC frequency database indicates this frequency is used by a few utility gas companies in Iowa, but none that are based close by. Any ideas?

JackJohnsrud

Well, I suppose it could have been a gas utility trucker monitoring his mobile scanner while his mike was stuck open.

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
If it sounded like Law Enforcement, weather conditions could have been right to pick up frequencies farther away than usual.

SCPD

QRT
I heard some radio traffic on this frequency around Iowa City when I was driving through Iowa on the 21. The transmission I heard were in P25. I sounded LE car to car simplex and sounded like they were transporting a prisoner along I-80. One unit kept on asking the other what rest area they wanted to stop at.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
JackJohnsrud said:
I am in NE Iowa by the River. My frequency counter picked up 173.25 transmitting nearby. I tuned the scanner to that frequency and I was hearing the County's law enforcement repeater signal (which has an output in the 155 mhz range) being transmitted. This lasted for about a half hour and I haven't heard it since. We don't even pick up the repeater very well in the River valley, but this was a very clear and strong signal. The FCC frequency database indicates this frequency is used by a few utility gas companies in Iowa, but none that are based close by. Any ideas?

You didn't say what the normal frequency so subtract 21.4 or 21.6 from 173.25 and see if you are close to the channel. It is possible thaere are new channels for extenders. just listen and see what you might hear.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
KG4WHM said:
I heard some radio traffic on this frequency around Iowa City when I was driving through Iowa on the 21. The transmission I heard were in P25. I sounded LE car to car simplex and sounded like they were transporting a prisoner along I-80. One unit kept on asking the other what rest area they wanted to stop at.

what was the frequency?

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Never mind my last question. lately I have seen some public saftey licenses in that range so it possible someone has a extender on the frequency so that might be what you heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.