TRX-1: What was so bad about this Scanner

georgesharpe

Premium Subscriber
My TRX-1 is 3 years old, this summer, and I have had very few issues with it. I performs quite well on all my area systems, & works well on air band. Only draw back is that it scans a bit slow. It does better than Uniden on NXDN systems.

eyes00only

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if I should start a new thread or not.
If I hear a transmission and miss holding it, how to I find the last active talkgroup?
With my PSR500 it is simply push the Manual button.
Also, is the left arrow the proper way to hold a TG?
It seems that when I do this it stops transmitting.
Just got mine delivered and getting the case off was so hard I wont put it back on unless I leave the house.
It sure seems more difficult for sure. Missing many keypad buttons / Light, Search, etc.
One more question before I head out to lunch. Is there a screen protector film on the new unit?
I pulled on the small plastic tab but was just a small piece of tape.

hth999

I like Whistler scanners, however, I don't have the TRX1, but have the 1080. I had the exact same problems with simulcast systems. I have 5 in my county in Florida. Lots of garbled audio. What I wound up doing is creating a site " 6 " in the Whistler EZ Scan software. I went to radioreference, and picked out all the CC's and alternate CC frequencies. I put those frequencies in site " 6 " . I locked out all the other sites, so it does not scan those or even try those. So now it only scan's the frequencies in my " fictitious site 6. This seemed to help enormously. Do I still get garbled audio at times ? Yes. But the improvement was tremendous. If anyone is reading this, perhaps this will help. All whistler scanners have this problem. I did buy the new Uniden 100, and that does a great job at simulcast. If you have the money give that scanner a try. I find it works very well.

TailGator911

Premium Subscriber
Hey just about every time I read here that something helps someone in some way, because we are all now well aware of these digital scanners' various peculiarities, I give it a try on one of my scanners just for the heck of it. I had my own way of scanning the Ohio MARCS P25 Phase 1 simulcast system with 3 digital scanners - Whistler WS-1065, Uniden BCD536HP, and Whistler TRX-1 - I had them ascending and descending the same system and the TRX-1 as sort of a wild card, and the best one out of them all, for me, was the TRX-1. I love that radio. For me it's the right tools for the job - SDS does LSM and TRX-1 does everything else ;)

JD
kf4anc

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1 A true 5 site simulcast radio system uses the same control channel and voice channels at all 5 sites.
#2 A multicast system uses different control channels and voice channels at each site and does not have LSM or simulcast problems.

lewisburns

Premium Subscriber
I almost bought one today but had second thoughts and then I get home and read that they are discontinued due to poor quality.
If the main issue was only about one a problem with NXDN as an example I would still consider buying one. BUT, if the main issue is
with all system types I probably wont buy one. Is the scanner still worth $460?
hello. i bought one and it works great phase i and phase ii. i ll admit getting phase ii to work is tricky but once you understand what it's doing it gets easy. it's a really good scanner. the pictures has two shots of phase ii in mississippi and one shot in phase i working in louisiana but it picks up alot, once it's tweaked a little.

Attachments

eyes00only

Premium Subscriber
Phase2 is not my main problem, it's the Simulcast systems giving me headaches. I am learning some tricks.
Not having any conventional frequencies and turning the Squelch full counterclockwise helps. Using just the
Control Channel if possible seems to help on the Denver system. Another big thing is LOCATION. I learn something
almost daily and do think the TRX1 is worth the money. The Record option is fantastic!