TRX-1: What was so bad about this Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyes00only

I almost bought one today but had second thoughts and then I get home and read that they are discontinued due to poor quality.
If the main issue was only about one a problem with NXDN as an example I would still consider buying one. BUT, if the main issue is
with all system types I probably wont buy one. Is the scanner still worth $460?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I almost bought one today but had second thoughts and then I get home and read that they are discontinued due to poor quality.
If the main issue was only about one a problem with NXDN as an example I would still consider buying one. BUT, if the main issue is
with all system types I probably wont buy one. Is the scanner still worth $460?

This scanner is not discontinued by Whistler, though some retail outlets are not carrying it. And I do not know where you got the "poor quality" from, mine does excellent as do most others I know, some people have an issue on simulcast sites, but I'm not.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
There's a LOT wrong with these leftover GRE-PSR800 designs. My WS1080 is useless mobile and P25 Simulcast can only be received with a Yagi *sometimes* I got a Unication G5 Pager to fix things. The Whistler sits unused most days. This video by a guy in MI state is what I experienced in 10 counties around me with a P25 Simulcast state-wide system. Unications? perfect all around, driving and at home ... Whistlers? ... pffft. Some people are in a "sweet spot" they never post a video of them riding in a car with the Whistlers trying different areas.
I had to chuckle, Whistler used to have a photo of a large Tornado in the distance with their ads for these scanners. It would be a cold day in hell I'd leave my ass on the line to one those scanners while chasing or relying on important data. I'll stick with Unication.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
To all of the people above who mention that the TRX-1 may not work will on P25 Simulcast systems, well it was not designed to work properly with these systems. Neither were any Uniden, Whistler or GRE P25 models before the Uniden SDS100/200. There is nothing wrong with the TRX-1/TRX-2 scanners as long as you don't expect them to *reliably* receive P25 Simulcast systems which they were not designed for. Use the right tool for the right purpose.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have two of the newer models and an older Pro 106. The 106 was designed before simulcast was introduced and doesn't do a perfect job but it is solid for air and other analog uses. Where I live is often noted for simulcast issues, but I have no complaints on the performance of my newer radios.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I've said it before and I'll say it again, my TRX-1 does better on DMR than it's main competitor. I understand that it scans differently and it technically does not track a DMR trunked system correctly, but it follows the conversations and I am not missing anything. My main search QK is set up in the uhf band and there is a lot of DMR traffic going on around here, most of it in the Fairfield Mall area, all commercial. When I go out I take both my TRX-1 and my SDS100 and I have the best of both worlds.

JD
kf4anc

eyes00only

Thanks all. Now that I know the main complaint I may buy one if they get around the $400 mark.
I had no doubt that it is a decent scanner and am interested in learning how MotoTurbo, etc. works.
I am a little concerned about the above statement that it does not track DMR correctly, but then again
I'm not sure what DMR is, YET.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. Now that I know the main complaint I may buy one if they get around the $400 mark.
I had no doubt that it is a decent scanner and am interested in learning how MotoTurbo, etc. works.
I am a little concerned about the above statement that it does not track DMR correctly, but then again
I'm not sure what DMR is, YET.
Watch for Whistlergroup.com scratch and dent sale as they have had them for $330

dem1

I've used my TRX-1 on P25 simulcast systems for 2 1/2 years both stationary and mobile with very good results. Transmissions break up in certain locations, but that is mostly due to strong signal overload from nearby cell sites and affects analog 800 MHz reception just as much.

With analog reception, front end desense and IF filter "blow-by" caused by strong nearby transmitters can be discerned by ear, as can local interference, static, intermod, etc. But with digital reception we don't hear these things and tend to forget they still play a role. A signal is either choppy or it is not, making it difficult to tell whether the choppiness is caused by LSM distortion or one of these other ailments (or a combination thereof).

As has been pointed out in the past, the TRX-1's performance on P25 simulcast systems depends on the specific P25 system (design, tower spacing, etc.) as well as the challenges of one's location. Results vary from excellent to unusable.

Obtaining truly solid reception would require not only an I/Q phase detector to improve LSM performance (e.g. SDS100), but a more robust receiver as well. That's why commercial grade radios used on P25 systems have so much greater reception range than scanners... and don't need an attenuator! A phase detector alone can't solve the P25 simulcast issue if an overloaded front end has already compromised the signal.

For a more complete explanation of Whistler's DMR tracking, see this thread. My DMR tracking is limited but I've not had any difficulty with it.

kc2kth

I've used my TRX-1 for a couple of years now alongside my Uniden models (436 and HP2) and have no complaints with it at all. I'm more comfortable with the Uniden programming process and software, but that's just personal preference and experience.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I've said it before and I'll say it again, my TRX-1 does better on DMR than it's main competitor. I understand that it scans differently and it technically does not track a DMR trunked system correctly, but it follows the conversations and I am not missing anything. My main search QK is set up in the uhf band and there is a lot of DMR traffic going on around here, most of it in the Fairfield Mall area, all commercial. When I go out I take both my TRX-1 and my SDS100 and I have the best of both worlds.

I agree with this. The TRX-1 is my go-to radio for DMR and NXDN monitoring, much easier to deal with than the Uniden models. It works great on non-simulcast P25 sites too, although I rarely had much trouble with local simulcast sites (being out on the edge of the county helps).

Some people claim these don't track DMR and NXDN systems correctly, but I disagree. . . they just track it differently. In the end, it doesn't really matter how the radio follows the system, just that it does, and mine does just fine.

I use my SDS100 for public safety monitoring, and my Motorola VHF radios for railroad monitoring. Throw in the TRX-1 for DMR and NXDN monitoring and I'm all set.

eyes00only

This scanner is not discontinued by Whistler, though some retail outlets are not carrying it. And I do not know where you got the "poor quality" from, mine does excellent as do most others I know, some people have an issue on simulcast sites, but I'm not.

Hi guys -
I wanted to let you all know that we have discontinued our development on the TRX-100 and TRX-200 as it was not meeting the expectations of the level of scanner we want to bring to you. We have high expectations for our scanners and we never want to disappoint our customers so sometimes we have to make difficult decisions. The good news is we are dedicated to the scanner industry and we already have several other new projects on tap for the future so stay tuned!

Keep Scanning!
Whistler Wendy

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys -
I wanted to let you all know that we have discontinued our development on the TRX-100 and TRX-200 as it was not meeting the expectations of the level of scanner we want to bring to you. We have high expectations for our scanners and we never want to disappoint our customers so sometimes we have to make difficult decisions. The good news is we are dedicated to the scanner industry and we already have several other new projects on tap for the future so stay tuned!

Keep Scanning!
Whistler Wendy
That's the 100 and 200 not the 1 and 2. We've shared our opinions based on our models that we use everyday. Please buy whatever you are happy with, everyone has a different preference. But if you are going to quote my post include accurate info not what fits your agenda.

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Hi guys -

Keep Scanning!
Whistler Wendy

And this has what to do with the TRX-1????

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
What was so bad about this Scanner
I've had a TRX-1 in my home office along with just about every other model of GRE scanner now for about 2 months. My first big issue was just getting it programmed with EZ Scan. If all you want is to import the RR DB, great. But if you want to custom program it, it's a lot of work. I wanted it to match my other scanners and leverage the advanced LED programming it has.

I have the same scan lists running in my PSR-500 and the TRX-1. Plus they're connected to the same antenna system via a multi-coupler. The TRX-1 seems to "like" P25 conventional channels as that's what it seems to stop on the most. Both scanners do well on a phase I system that is about 30 miles from me, but only the PSR-500 picks up the Phase I system about 80 miles away. On the PSR-500 there is an Analyze display so I can see the control channel decode rate/etc, but I don't see that ability on the TRX-1. If I could see what the scanner was doing, perhaps I could "tune" the reception (decoding) to be better.

I am going to post a more complete review of this radio, but I want to take it out and about first. We'll see how it does on NXDN and Phase II systems (as well as distant signals).

Status
Not open for further replies.