TRX-1: What was so bad about this Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I'll second the comments about the TRX-1... I love mine, bought it in a Whistler refurb sale not long after I bought a WS-1088 (also a great scanner), which I subsequently sold to my wife's BFF in Scottsdale, AZ... and she loves that one too. My PRO-106 and 197 are the workhorses... the 197 provides my Broadcastify feed (and has been running 24/7 for over five years in that capacity), and the 106 goes where I go around the house, garage and yard, and has worked perfectly since I got it almost nine years ago. Good luck with your new TRX-1! ;)

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Wow. Must be a lot better than my WS1080 that failed miserably in Lake Co IL everywhere up there including Wauconda. Over by the Taco Bell to the west of Wauconda? Nothing but choppy, distorted trash with the Starcom21 system. Sitting at home using a Yagi? it probably would work. Can't hear it in the car over any road noise anyway. Glad I got the G5 though to end that misery.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Here is an example of how I employed my TRX-1 to follow the Ohio MARCS P25 Phase 1 digital simulcast system. Before the SDS scanners came out I used 3 different scanners to monitor my local simulcast system - a Whistler WS-1065, Whistler TRX-1, and BCD536HP - had the 1065 scanning in one direction, the 536 in another direction (ascending & descending) and the TRX-1 switching back and forth. Out of all 3 scanners the TRX-1 followed my simulcast system the best with minimal distortion and gaps in service. It was not perfect, and when it got busy I realized that, but it was the best out of three for coverage until Uniden came out with the SDS scanners.

JD
kf4anc

mmhorn

Don't let the Whistler hate mongers scare you away. The TRX-1 is a great scanner. I use mine to monitor several P25 towers along with all of the area analog systems and it works just fine. Anyone who follows this blog recognizes the monger. I wish he would keep his negativism to himself and just disappear.:sneaky:
MH

eyes00only

Don't let the Whistler hate mongers scare you away. The TRX-1 is a great scanner. I use mine to monitor several P25 towers along with all of the area analog systems and it works just fine. Anyone who follows this blog recognizes the monger. I wish he would keep his negativism to himself and just disappear.:sneaky:
MH
Thanks. I did state that I'm sure the TRX1 is a good scanner. I did just correspond with their support and discovered that the TRX1 does not support ProVoice which is a huge bummer. Also, it doesn't do the auto patching thing that my GRE PSR500 does. I'll probably still buy one down the line if the price drops. I asked about performance in my area on the Colorado forum but haven't received any help yet.

N8IAA

Thanks. I did state that I'm sure the TRX1 is a good scanner. I did just correspond with their support and discovered that the TRX1 does not support ProVoice which is a huge bummer. Also, it doesn't do the auto patching thing that my GRE PSR500 does. I'll probably still buy one down the line if the price drops. I asked about performance in my area on the Colorado forum but haven't received any help yet.

Are you referring to the Denver county EDACS system? If, so, no ProVoice. Just a few Digital TG's. Most everything is Analog. This is according to the RR database. Also, remember that EDACS is being phased out.

With all the DMR and NXDN in your area, I would recommend the TRX-1.

But, then again, it's your choice.

Larry

eyes00only

Are you referring to the Denver county EDACS system? If, so, no ProVoice. Just a few Digital TG's. Most everything is Analog. This is according to the RR database. Also, remember that EDACS is being phased out.

With all the DMR and NXDN in your area, I would recommend the TRX-1.

But, then again, it's your choice.

Larry
Actually I was talking about the Aurora EDACS which I discovered was obsolete. I haven't monitored much more than Denver in many years and have a lot to relearn. I'll apologize in advance for many more stupid questions in the future. The TRX1 is looking better every day.

fredva

Feed Provider
If those EDACS systems are being phased out, then the question is what is replacing or has replaced them? If it is P25 simulcast....performance may be hit or miss, as pointed out by other replies above. For local counties that have already upgraded to P25, it would be good to hear from other Whistler owners in the Colorado forum.

eyes00only

P25 Phase II is the new thing here. That's why I need a new scanner. The good ole PSR500 doesn't cut it anymore.
Bummer that one of the new large systems has a lot of 700 megahertz frequencies which I've read here that the TRX1 is not great
on receiving. As N8IAA mentioned there is a lot of DMR & NXDN being used. Moneys a bit tight in retirement but I really do want
a new scanner. I've always had great luck with Win software but I think there is only one option with the TRX1. I'm going to download
the manual and read a little. There is no Lockout button on the keyboard but I'm hoping the Skip button works like my PSR500.
It's great to do temp lockout and have them unlocked next time you boot up.

rayvelcoro

There's a LOT wrong with these leftover GRE-PSR800 designs. My WS1080 is useless mobile and P25 Simulcast can only be received with a Yagi *sometimes* I got a Unication G5 Pager to fix things. The Whistler sits unused most days. This video by a guy in MI state is what I experienced in 10 counties around me with a P25 Simulcast state-wide system. Unications? perfect all around, driving and at home ... Whistlers? ... pffft. Some people are in a "sweet spot" they never post a video of them riding in a car with the Whistlers trying different areas.
I had to chuckle, Whistler used to have a photo of a large Tornado in the distance with their ads for these scanners. It would be a cold day in hell I'd leave my ass on the line to one those scanners while chasing or relying on important data. I'll stick with Unication.

Is the programming of the Unication difficult? Are all the required system parameters available on RadioReference?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@ rayvelcoro They have a new import function for Radio Reference database on the PPS (Unication's programming software) It's no harder than the other scanners I feel. If you're a paid subscriber of RRef you can use it. I've seen some people making happy posts about it. BUT this is a thread about the TRX-1-100? The OP is right, I had hopes for Whistler making an "SDS100" type scanner and improving the mess that were the left over GRE-PSR800s WS1080s* with no serial numbers* which is what I got* and the WS1088s. No such luck. Whistler dumped out the P25 Simulcast capable TRX-100-200 idea and it's up in the air. I prefer Whistler VOICE quality, screen font and set up over Uniden stuff. As with all things. Youtube has videos on how to program all of the radios. If phase II is an issue on anyone's local P25? good luck getting that with Whistler. I'm wondering for the TRX-1? did they carry over that lousy method of having Phase II TWO-THREE TIMES as LOUD as the Phase 1 like it was on the 1080-1088s? and you have to use the +2 - -10 controls to keep from being blasted out? what a (fix) ha. Phase 2 on Unication is smooth and 100% perfect.

fredva

Feed Provider
P25 Phase II is the new thing here.

Just to make sure we're clear - simulcast is another aspect of digital communications in addition to Phase 1 or Phase 2. A P25 Phase 1 system can be simulcast (or not) and a P25 Phase 2 system can be simulcast. MOST local systems going up these days are simulcast and Phase 2. A scanner can be advertised as handling Phase 2; that doesn't mean it handles simulcast well in all locations. Whistler's TRX-100/200 were supposed to do that, but they were cancelled.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Just to make sure we're clear - simulcast is another aspect of digital communications in addition to Phase 1 or Phase 2. A P25 Phase 1 system can be simulcast (or not) and a P25 Phase 2 system can be simulcast. MOST local systems going up these days are simulcast and Phase 2. A scanner can be advertised as handling Phase 2; that doesn't mean it handles simulcast well in all locations.

That's a good valid point. I think the feature and specs of these digital scanners should be clear on the simulcast issues and reception pros and cons with P25 digital simulcast. Somebody buying a scanner that purports to be a Phase 2 capable scanner may not very well be a simulcast capable scanner. Food for thought....

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
To all of the people above who mention that the TRX-1 may not work will on P25 Simulcast systems, well it was not designed to work properly with these systems**** Neither were any Uniden, Whistler or GRE P25 models before the Uniden SDS100/200. There is nothing wrong with the TRX-1/TRX-2 scanners as long as you don't expect them to *reliably* receive P25 Simulcast systems which they were not designed for. Use the right tool for the right purpose.
Yes, It would have been nice if we had been TOLD this*** by Whistler before we forked out $480.00 in Sept of 2014. Instead? we hear it on comment boards years later. The truth is costly ... buyer beware. I used to laugh at how bad the 2014 WS1080 was compared to the 2004 RShack Pro96. Even THAT scanner blew the Whistler away on P25 simulcast locally. AND you could actually hear it in a vehicle. I said the vey thing the guy mentions in that video I posted. I had assumed in the DECADE after
2004 that scanners would be perfected and listenable. Guess Whistler didn't feel it mattered. Right tool for the right job yes, that's why I got a G5. I could have spent a couple 100$ more back then and saved myself the anger. Live and learn. I learned.

eyes00only

Fresh batteries daily. If I decide on the TRX I will want to use it a lot powered by batteries. Charging batteries in the scanner is never ideal and I've read the TRX is very slow charging batteries. It's also a bummer to install fresh batteries daily. Question: Will the case get too loose if I install batteries daily? Will the battery compartment door wear out? How long of service are you TRX users getting out of quality rechargeable batteries?

freqseek

The TRX1 doesn't let you create and save you own search objects and store in banks with other objects to scan together like PSR500 did, but the TRX has more digital modes to offer. Also quick access to the light on the PSR500 was better than scrolling thru a menu on the TRX1.
I own both scanners and thought you would like to know this info.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Battery solution on TRX-1 not as good as GRE models. I like being able to hot swap battery holders while I am driving. Can't open up TRX-1 and put in fresh batteries safely. I have a Maha charger at home and other chargers when mobile. I run several sets of Eneloops NiMH batteries so there's always one "on deck" ready to go and never charge in a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.