What would be a good antenna for a Whistler 10-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just wondering what a good antenna would be to use on a Whistler 1040? The antenna that came with the radio picks up P-25 fine but I have a very hard time receiving analog from the county south and the county's to the north. please give me some sugestions.

Thanks
John

N8IAA

Hello,

Just wondering what a good antenna would be to use on a Whistler 1040? The antenna that came with the radio picks up P-25 fine but I have a very hard time receiving analog from the county south and the county's to the north. please give me some sugestions.

Thanks
John

Depends on how deep in the valley you are. Unless you have an antenna up on the top of a mountain, no antenna attached to the scanner will help.

Whistler_Support

Whistler Representative
Premium Subscriber
firefighter30054, are you looking for a handheld flexible antenna or a vehicle mount antenna?

Looking at your county, you have a lot going on in the 152-160MHz and 450-464MHz range
To the North and South of you I see more of the same

We often recommend our 800Mhz antenna but given the frequencies I see in use for your area as well as the area north and south of you, I do not believe an 800MHz antenna is going to solve your issue. You can have success to locate a portable handheld style flexible antenna that is better for either the 155MHz or 460MHz areas however finding one that excels at both might be more difficult than you think. Hopefully someone on this forum can share their results on a flexible antenna that improved reception of the frequencies you are looking to pull in.

If looking for an economical vehicle mounted magnetic antenna, our WMM-160 works surprisingly well WMM-160 - Magnetic Dual Band Radio Scanner Antenna

questnz

You need some tuned antennas.

This is what I have and it works great even with being inside Amazon.com: Larsen NMO150-450-800 Tri-Band Nmo Antenna

Edit: you also need the mount Amazon.com: 1233-BNC Black 3 1/4" Magnet Mount NMO Mag Mount 17 foot Antenna Cable Roof or Trunk: GPS & Navigation

1+ for that. Excellent combination, get Larsen it exceeds my expectations as a vehicle antenna, alternative there is Laird equivalent to Larsen. I own both on different vehicles and cant tell the difference. Both excellent antennas.

Reconrider

1+ for that. Excellent combination, get Larsen it exceeds my expectations as a vehicle antenna, alternative there is Laird equivalent to Larsen. I own both on different vehicles and cant tell the difference. Both excellent antennas.
Buddy of mine who's been doing this for years recommended me the antenna and mount. I actually use it inside about 10 feet from my window and I get good reception. Going to pick up 2 more when they're in stock again so I can mount it on both of my vehicles

tvengr

Well Known Member
You don't want to use a mobile antenna with a NMO mount and adapter on a 1040. That particular scanner is known to have the solder connection to the antenna connector breaking due to excessive force. Use an antenna with a BNC connector. What are the frequencies you are monitoring?

Reconrider

You don't want to use a mobile antenna with a NMO mount and adapter on a 1040. That particular scanner is known to have the solder connection to the antenna connector breaking due to excessive force. Use an antenna with a BNC connector. What are the frequencies you are monitoring?
The end of the cable goes to bnc. I've been using mine for four months with no issues at all.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I'm concerned about the stress on the connector if a mobile antenna is mounted directly on the scanner using a NMO to BNC adapter (no cable).

Reconrider

I'm concerned about the stress on the connector if a mobile antenna is mounted directly on the scanner using a NMO to BNC adapter (no cable).
Mine hasn't shown any stress issues for the past 4 months, but I'm anal about how I have my cords / wires.

CycleSycho

I've had good luck with this inexpensive antenna on the two WS 1040s I own. Keep one in the house and one in my truck.

:) One good thing (about all there is, one) is that it can be 're-tuned' to the freq currently being monitored (lot of adjusting, homework, getting the mid-band and pulling/compressing the telescopic sections)… OK, joke is over... Who would want a 'telescopic' antenna nowadays????? :)

KG4DRF

Bought a Tram 1094 BNC 3&1/2 inch magnet antenna and BNC coax and adapter from local electronics store. Placed it on top of house's metal roof. Works like a charm. Have received analog transmission from over 100 miles away with it. Weatherproof connectors to keep water out and secured cable to carnice of roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.