What would happen to people living Dallas and Fort Worth area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
You all know now that Fort Worth police got a new radio system and is encrypted.So you cannot monitor Fort Worth police any more.

Give it a year or two and Dallas police will get new radio system and they may do the same thing. What would people listen to? Are there other large police department or county sheriff in the Dallas and Fort Worth area?Or they all much smaller than Arlington police?

I'm sure hearing small police department smaller than Arlington police is not going to be fun like larger police department.

Any word if Dallas police are planning for full time encryption?

n5ims

There are several large PD organizations in the DFW Metroplex that are either totally or mostly in the clear. In fact, there are many more that are in the clear than are encrypted. It isn't expected that Dallas PD will encrypt with their new system (although some channels like their special operations -read surveillance - may). Plano, Lewisville, Carrollton/Addison/Farmers Branch/Coppell, Denton, and several others are rather large agencies that are in the clear (save the odd talkgroup) and have plenty to monitor. Actually, they often have more to listen to than the Dallas PD channels.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
There are several large PD organizations in the DFW Metroplex that are either totally or mostly in the clear. In fact, there are many more that are in the clear than are encrypted. It isn't expected that Dallas PD will encrypt with their new system (although some channels like their special operations -read surveillance - may). Plano, Lewisville, Carrollton/Addison/Farmers Branch/Coppell, Denton, and several others are rather large agencies that are in the clear (save the odd talkgroup) and have plenty to monitor. Actually, they often have more to listen to than the Dallas PD channels.
Agree.

While McKinney chose to go encrypted for their PD when they changed to P25, and Fort Worth PD has followed the same path. the only other DFW Metro agency that has announced intentions to follow, so far, is Arlington, which apparently will switch when they migrate to the FWRRS. Mansfield moved to that system, as did the NETCO cities, and none of these went for full encryption.

car55

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Agree.

While McKinney chose to go encrypted for their PD when they changed to P25, and Fort Worth PD has followed the same path. the only other DFW Metro agency that has announced intentions to follow, so far, is Arlington, which apparently will switch when they migrate to the FWRRS. Mansfield moved to that system, as did the NETCO cities, and none of these went for full encryption.

I don't think there are any police department with population of 400,000 or more in the clear now.

Other than Dallas and Arlington that may go full encryption when they get new police chief.

Dallas police and Fort Worth police is not known to work well with media .And heck it been long time cops fox or should I say cops on spike have done ride on with Dallas police or Fort Worth police.The chief is not like the way it was in past.

And probably never be another ride on with the chief they have.

Stephen

I believe he was just pointing out that many of the larger cities in Texas are either already beginning to role out encryption or are already using it for example Houston, San Antonio (Using ESK only), Fort Worth, and the discussion of Dallas..

I have been a member on here for over 10 years, and I do not know who Jay911 is nor do I care.. So I do not see how that is silly.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, let's try and stay on topic. I've deleted several off topic posts.

I don't see a problem with Jay from Alberta posting or car55 from the Toronto area posting as long as everything remains in topic.

SCPD

QRT
What's going to happen to the people living there, nothing. Many law enforcement agencies have gone this way and life still goes on. Those who use to monitor those system will have to find something else to listen to, or find a new hobby.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Dallas has no plans to encrypt patrol talk groups. Carrolton's chief has already raised the live online streaming of radio traffic in council meetings so they may encrypt if they ever build a new system.

n5ims

Dallas has no plans to encrypt patrol talk groups. Carrolton's chief has already raised the live online streaming of radio traffic in council meetings so they may encrypt if they ever build a new system.

If you listen closely to the CPD transmissions, you can easily discover that they handle the scanner and online streaming of their communications quite well at present without encryption. Certain dispatches are done with the syntax similar to "Units 1 & 7, copy call by MDT". Today there was a discussion between dispatch and a supervisor about calls in the queue that were awaiting dispatch. Discussion on most appeared to be quite normal, but one was discussed with very minimal information about it besides the fact it was "a priority call that's not over the radio".

CPD is also quite aware of which talkgroups are streamed and which are not. If they need a private (well, non-streamed anyway) conversation, they simply move to one of those that are not on the stream of their system. They also use the chat feature on their MDT fairly often (referring to it over the air when necessary) as well as using their cell phones ("Unit 2, call my beat phone" or "Unit 2, call my personal") to converse between two officers or an officer and dispatch ("Unit 3, public service dispatch"). While I would expect some channels may be encrypted once the new Harris P-25 system goes live (such as SWAT and the various "Special Ops" channels), I would be surprised if they move to 100% encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.