What would you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I want a scanner that has killer selectivity, and can be completely controlled via PC/web. Example: I want to listen to 151.385 while the repeater for 151.400 is two miles line-of-sight from me. Also want to control it via a PC. What would you buy? Got to admit, most scanners have really crappy selectivity/close channel interference rejection.

Thanks !

Jim P

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
I'd buy..

Hi..I love my PRO-96 and you can download the frequencies right from here into the Win96 program from www.starrsoft.com but my next scanner is going to be the BCT15 as it has the I-Call feature I want to use and it should do the job for you unless you want a handheld then the BC46T could do it also..Check out www.scannersoft.com and see what they have, you can get both the scanner and the software for a good price. If anyone else can get it cheaper or a better deal I would like to know so I can check it out. Let us know what you get and how you like it..Cheers and happy scanning..Keithmj

MarkWestin

I have the BC246T, the BR330T, and the BCD396T. (I don't have the BCT15 or the BCD996T yet). If you are going to be using the scanner with a computer, I would recommend the BR330T (handheld) or the BCT15 (desktop/mobile) unless you need to listen to digital. I would then recommend the BCD396T(handheld) or the BCD996T(desktop/mobile).

The BC246T is a good scanner, but I don't think that the computer control protocol is as good as the others mentioned here. An example, using Butel ARC246, is the frequency list and alpha tag list don't seem to match up all the time. The software seems to be making its best guess as to what it is receiving. On the BR330T and BCD396T I have never seen this problem.

Mark

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Forget controlling the PRO96 via the web or PC; no can do. It isn't in the protocol. With the exception of the PRO-2052 (which is really a Uniden product in a GRE case), no GRE scanner can be controlled via the PC. Only up/downloads are allowed.

You hit the nail on the head, Jim P. Most scanners have crummy adjacent channel rejection, so that 151.4 repeater is going to give you some desense or splatter problems trying to hear 151.385. Since you are trying to attenuate a single frequency a bandpass or bandstop filter isn't the answer. I would try a coax quarter wave stub tuned for 151.4, but it might also attenuate the 151.385 transmitter too much.

One possibility is to use a small Yagi - point it at the .385 transmitter and have the .4 transmitter off the side, or better, off the back of the beam. This assumes that the 151.4 transmitter can be nulled in this manner.

73s Mike

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Jim,

The killer selectivity that you provide an example for does not exist.

With strong signals present, there is no way to reject such a strong signal that is only a mere 15khz away. In radio channel land, 15khz is more or less like still being on the same frequency. I'm afraid you're asking too much. The secondary frequency can go unheard only if it is a much weaker signal.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks everyone for the comments. The BCT15 looks pretty good. It has a feature that lets you put 20db attenuation on any channel when you program it. That would help. The Icom PCR1500 and 2500 are pretty darn cool looking, I'll have to look at them as well.

I understand there is no simple solution, but I can get close. Right now I have an 11-element yagi pointing at the distant 151.385, with the 151.400 off to the side of the yagi. That helps tremendously. Most (but not all) of the time the 151.385 comes through OK when 151.400 is transmitting. It is presently hooked up to an older Kenwood TM-261a transciever which I would not like to have tied up just receiving. I'm going to put the audio on the net, and want to be able to control it remotely. The BCT15 looks like it may be just what I'm looking for. I will look more into the Icom as well.

Thanks again all, this has helped alot.

Jim P

gcgrotz

Most good commercial radios will handle that. Get a good used Moto or Kenwood and dedicate it to the .385 channel. Commercial radios, as a rule, have better filtering at the IF level that does the trick.

Other than that, possibly one of the WinRadio units or similar with IF-DSP with variable bandwidth and/or IF shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.