What would you like in the next Scanner develeoped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Scanners are as complicated, or even more so, than professional 2-way radios and those have been using personality features for many years. Each channel, site, TG and user id have a personality selection to them, 1-9 and 0 being what are used as factory default, and a TG number then only has a name tag and a personality number to be set. All parameters are set in the personality and any new option or feature are then added to the personality and not every TG or channel. It makes firmware development and user programming so much easier.

The personality for a channel could be what gain or attenuation that are needed in 3dB steps, what filter and IFX to use, the modulation type and what antenna port to use. For a TG it could be delay, recording, alert&lights, delta volume +/- , EQ for more bass or treble.

/Ubbe

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
like a laptop battery in/on a base scanner. Even if you have it hooked up to a backup power solution, batteries in it would still be handy.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
like a laptop battery in/on a base scanner. Even if you have it hooked up to a backup power solution, batteries in it would still be handy.
I'm a base kind of person so battery life has zero meaning for me, I run battery systems that can last several weeks for the radios and any antenna related gear.
Now getting out on the internet is another story but I can usually use a cell phone for that, Worst case, dial up via land line!

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
I'm a base kind of person so battery life has zero meaning for me
I still am sticking to what I said. I want batteries in/on a base scanner. In a SHTF scenario when all of your external backup power sources are dead, the radio would then would still be able to keep going a while longer. Like when I would be out starting the car to charge them back up with an inverter. I also don't give a rats azz what you have, I said I wanted batteries.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I still am sticking to what I said. I want batteries in/on a base scanner. In a SHTF scenario when all of your external backup power sources are dead, the radio would then would still be able to keep going a while longer. Like when I would be out starting the car to charge them back up with an inverter. I also don't give a rats azz what you have, I said I wanted batteries.
For my main radios, i do have aa battery cases just in case.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That's why you purchase the optional AA battery cases companies like Icom sell.

Ubbe

You mean like a profile?
Exactly, but for frequency, TG, Site and user id. Set profile 5 to a conventional frequency and then in the Profile 5 setting you have demodulation mode, record, alerts, delay, gain/attenuation, volume+/-, and so on. Another frequency could use the same profile or perhaps profile 6 that looks almost the same but uses another attenuator setting.

Strip every frequency, site, TG and UID of all info except name tags and move all parameters to profiles/personalities.

/Ubbe

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Exactly, but for frequency, TG, Site and user id. Set profile 5 to a conventional frequency and then in the Profile 5 setting you have demodulation mode, record, alerts, delay, gain/attenuation, volume+/-, and so on. Another frequency could use the same profile or perhaps profile 6 that looks almost the same but uses another attenuator setting.

Strip every frequency, site, TG and UID of all info except name tags and move all parameters to profiles/personalities.

/Ubbe
??????????????????????????????????

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber

/Ubbe
Not sure what you're getting at or why but would sure over complicate everything

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

/Ubbe
Attenuator and IFX settings are already part of the profile. As to the rest, just make an alternate favorite list.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I have two things I'd really like to see. First and foremost TETRA decoding. But hey if an SDR and some software can do it so can a scanner! Secondly a touch screen on something like the SDS's would be nice!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There are two that I've been hoping for, for several years:
1.) signal strength meter
2.)mic-level output so I can hook up a tape recorder for logging.

I mentioned it (via letter) to a couple of manufacturers but God forbid they actually pay attention to customers!

You can accomplish both (and more) using ProScan software if that's acceptable for your needs.

WB9YBM

You can accomplish both (and more) using ProScan software if that's acceptable for your needs.

Thank you for the feedback. I haven't graduated to anything that fancy (at least not yet) but good information for the future!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'd still like to see a full size scanner, similar to the old BC9000-XLT, BC895-XLT or even better like the full size ham HF rigs, with large knobs, good speakers, large displays with DisplayPort external monitor support and built in 120V power supplies.

I'd also like to see Uniden buy the rights to ProScan software and embed it into firmware internally to the scanner with it's own operating system (no PC required) and even put Bob (of ProScan fame) on a contract for remote support.

Full automatic login/download support for all programing, data and documentation. Automatic programming and configuration based on GPS data.

Status
Not open for further replies.