What would you want to Listen to on my feed?

What would you like to hear on My Live Feed?

• Peel Police Only

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Mississauga Fire Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brampton Fire Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brampton and Mississauga Fire Only

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • OPP Mississauga only

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Peel Police & Miss & Brampton Fire Only

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Peel Police and OPP Mississauga Only

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Everything?

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Not Interested shut it down?

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jellotor

That has to be a joke, right? The A-Channel? The same Chum properties who laid off around 300 people across Canada (including some friends of mine) the day before they flipped the whole operation over to Bell Globemedia for a cash grab? That A-Channel?

...I've got news (so to speak!) for you guys, don't get too attached to your local A-Channel. The only expansion Chum is seeing right now is the expanding horizon of empty desks in their offices and newsrooms...

Brian, bear in mind that in a coverage area as large as the Toronto market (CFTO, CityTV and Global) potential breaking news stories are plentiful and resources are, if you can believe it, rather limited. The reason that 2 alarm fires aren't making the cast is because even though it may be a limited occurance in your neck of the woods it doesn't necessarily affect or concern the greater market...and time in the cast may be limited. You can argue that this doesn't serve the greater good all that well and I'd agree, but it's the way things are. People to the northwest of Toronto can tell you that sometimes there's lots going on up there but the Toronto and SWO stations aren't interested in covering it. Yet.

Here we'll send someone to practically anything because we have much less to choose from, especially overnight. This morning we had an 'arson' in an apartment building on Barton Street, the pictures were piss poor (in terms of visual value) but if that's what the good Lord determined was going to catch fire this morning, we're going to have to go with it.

In my experience in a coverage area this size, you usually only get a serious fire once every 3-4 months. I've shot two serious ones in the past two years. Stabbings and shootings? There's 50+ of them per year in Toronto, that's one a week. Plenty to talk about.

To paraphrase a producer friend of mine...if you think your neighborhood needs attention from the media, time to start the fires yourself!

mciupa

Chrome69 said:
not a single F - ing word on the news about it?

CITYnews welcomes submissions to their Submit your Story and Submit your footage link at their website.
Next time , don't wait for someone else to do it , contact them with what you are hearing.
Or if you are out and can get a good shot with your phone or camera.

Looks like most people want you to put "the works" on-line.:)

jellotor , good post about the assignment desk and news gathering.:cool:

jellotor

mciupa said:
CITYnews welcomes submissions to their Submit your Story and Submit your footage link at their website.
Next time , don't wait for someone else to do it , contact them with what you are hearing.
Or if you are out and can get a good shot with your phone or camera.

Looks like most people want you to put "the works" on-line.:)

jellotor , good post about the assignment desk and news gathering.:cool:

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

You hit the nail on the head...if you want to see more of a certain story on the news, either flip the station some video for free or try to slug it out freelance in the crazy world of television news.

Incidentally, I've got some equipment that I'd be happy to rent out...

pathalogical

jellotor said:
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

You hit the nail on the head...if you want to see more of a certain story on the news, either flip the station some video for free or try to slug it out freelance in the crazy world of television news.

Incidentally, I've got some equipment that I'd be happy to rent out...
Sorry, I hope I didn't hit a nerve with that A channel comment. I don't follow the buyouts and takeovers. When the Chum president made his speech about selling the company I don't recall anything about layoffs. Your comments are 'real world' not the mumble jumble prepared speeches by lawyers that he read on the air.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Fires arent profitable I guess on the tv news
Besides, how much fire insurance can they sell... most of the local carnage in Toronto probably helps sell car alarms, house alarms, home protection. Fear Fear Fear!
That seems to be the main seller on the tv news, fear (and yes I am cynical but the News is a bizness and they want to make $).
Other than Graeme (lol) I dont really trust 'em much.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
pathalogical said:
Sorry, I hope I didn't hit a nerve with that A channel comment. I don't follow the buyouts and takeovers. When the Chum president made his speech about selling the company I don't recall anything about layoffs. Your comments are 'real world' not the mumble jumble prepared speeches by lawyers that he read on the air.

Isn't it funny how dad dies and the kids are dumping the company so fast? I wonder if Bill Waters is rolling in his grave right now?

jellotor

pathalogical said:

No harm, no foul. No nerve was hit particularly hard there so don't worry about it. I find many people (including many people in TV too) don't understand the financial realities of running a TV news operation. Some people look at the business end of it (and I'm no expert) and laugh when I predict our company will lay people off because of the Chum takeover...they don't see how the economics work.

I could go into further detail, but suffice it to say that news generally is a drag on the resources of the company due to the equipment, facilities and personnel required to pull it off. Any wonder why in the last ten years there has been a grand total of 1 over the air television station started up in the country's largest market and dozens (if not possibly hundreds) of specialty channels? You can run a specialty channel with a staff of 15. Typically, when news departments grow, they grow modestly...not aggresively expanding into another station's area...and you can pretty clearly figure that though they may not cover it 100%, Brampton/Mississauga is strictly CityTV/CFTO land...

Brian, that would Alan Watters, not Bill. Last time I heard, Bill Watters was alive and
well, aggravating current Leafs management with some of his comments on Sportsnet.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
jellotor said:
Brian, that would Alan Watters, not Bill. Last time I heard, Bill Watters was alive and
well, aggravating current Leafs management with some of his comments on Sportsnet.

Yes my mistake on that deal... yes Allen:roll:

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Nope don't think so.....
Update on the live feed it is currently running all including:
Peel Police (sounds crappy)
Mississauga & Brampton Fire
Miss EMS
OPP Mississauga & Ballingfad

I may force the issue here as i may dump the idea of OPP and EMS due to not using a digital scanner or at least tieing up one... we will see... Peel police sounds very staticy sorry guys have to figure out where to place the antenna outside to get it away from it....

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
I am having some issues with my Compter Tower so the feed maybe on or off line while i work on the issue..

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
OK the CPU has called it a day..... the funeral will be tomorrow on the poor little chip... I need to grab another box/case in order to get this going again... So the feed will be off line for a bit...

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Feed Is back up... The 200MMX has a second life... :)

I have removed Peel Police and Peel EMS (they sound very bad here) .... :(

pathalogical

Chrome69 said:
Isn't it funny how dad dies and the kids are dumping the company so fast? I wonder if Bill Waters is rolling in his grave right now?
I AGREE !!! And am also a victim of kids fighting for the family money. I used to work for Miracle Food Mart (warehouse on Rexdale Bvld) in 1988-1990. Old man Steinberg died and left all to three daughters. Eventually A&P bought it and didn't need our warehouse. Sooo, off the the unemployment line. A job I still wish I had today......oh well......

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
That was quite a story the Stienberg family back in the 70's and 80's. I did a theseis on it in University.
Sorry for going 2 far off-topic but where on Rexdale Blvd, Pm Pathological if u can
I work pretty much near the corner of Rexdale and M.Grove

Status
Not open for further replies.