• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Whats a good AM/SSB mobile

ForestRunner98

917 SoCal
769C110A-41AF-4C18-AD8B-9309A1943BBB.jpeg

I ran my low this for 6 months. It actually worked great! Make sure you attach the metal decal on the bottom of the magmount before you skip the rubber boot on.

It’s pretty much tuned. Might have to raise the whip up or down a tad. Good set up!

slowmover

Need separate SWR Meter and a short piece of coax to go from radio to meter to make things easiest. PDC 2 a good choice

Tune with doors, etc, closed and away from vehicles, buildings, power lines, trees, etc.

A high and remote spot in a clear field is “best”

AD2477C6-4185-490A-9BBD-A48C2BC20E5F.jpeg

How to Tune a CB Antenna | CB World

SWR

Get the little 1800 case at HARBOR FREIGHT to store meter & adapters and coax

37A97913-B195-45D1-A9A6-3E8DAA28ED30.png

Last edited:

KOK5CY

Ok I'll have look that up and remember it .

btw when I put that mount together yesterday it came with a square sheet of pvc backing looks like aluminum foil ? . Should I add another sheet of foil just for better grounding ? . also do I need to rtv seal the coil or leave it be ?

slowmover

Ok I'll have look that up and remember it .

btw when I put that mount together yesterday it came with a square sheet of pvc backing looks like aluminum foil ? . Should I add another sheet of foil just for better grounding ? . also do I need to rtv seal the coil or leave it be ?

The foil included is adequate and required for good performance.

FiveFilter

I've been using a Wilson 1000 mag mount for many years with excellent results. It's very similar to the Wilson 5000 with the main exception being that it's not able to handle as many Watts; but that would be an issue only for the Channel 6 super boys. :-/

RC4

A10 Stryker one of the best mag mounts hands down and it’s a very quiet antenna on the receive end of things. I love it

wxnut22

good choice on the Lincoln! just got one here, the II +, love it love it, so it's going to be a base i decided. next day ordered a McKinley for mobile use.
20220918_234755555.jpg

Groundhog1960

Wouldn't the nmo-27 be hard to tune ?
My Larsen tuned perfectly. I did have to cut the stinger a few times but, I got the SWR down
to 1.1 to 1.2 from channel 40 to channel 1.
I have it mounted on a Tram 5 inch mag mount. The only thing I done was remove the RG58 coax from the Tram mag mount and replace it with LMR-240.
It's dead center on the top of my extended cab pickup truck. Works very well.
PS. Thinking about ordering the new President Lincoln ll V3.

RC4

My Larsen tuned perfectly. I did have to cut the stinger a few times but, I got the SWR down
to 1.1 to 1.2 from channel 40 to channel 1.
I have it mounted on a Tram 5 inch mag mount. The only thing I done was remove the RG58 coax from the Tram mag mount and replace it with LMR-240.
It's dead center on the top of my extended cab pickup truck. Works very well.
PS. Thinking about ordering the new President Lincoln ll V3.
Out of Curiosity how much coax ofLMR are you using? I have a tri mount I just got and it has rg58 and it’s horrible! I have 9 feet of lmr 240 just wondering if that will work or should I use 14 or 18 feet? I’ll be mostly running a skipshooter s6 or a 102. I don’t think the 102 will do very well tbh because of the swr but I haven’t tried it yet with the new coax.

Last edited: