whats a good antenna for mostly rails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nattybohhoe

hey, im about to get a bcd396t and i ws wondering what would be a good antenna used for railside scanning? here are the freqs. ill be in will be the rail ones, and sometimes on the digitial apco25 scanning local police fire and rescue. i know im ging to need one for the rails, and one for the digital. i guess suggustions for both will help me greatly thanks!

Nasby

Get the Diamond brand RH77CA antenna. It is by far the number one choice of railfans. It offers superior reception over most any other antenna.

K0ATC

I like the RH77CA, i have the BNC for the scanner and SMA for my HT. If you want something for on the house or car, you can cut down a mag mount cb antenna to the proper wave length whether that is 1/4 or 1/2, 5/8 depending on how long you can go. If you use a mag mount at home just remember its only half an antenna if you dont stick it on something metal.

Dorpmuller

Second that on the RH77. Also I use the Pryme RD-98 on my VX-150 or VX-170. That combo blows away any scanner on the market. I hear signals on those antennas, portable, that won't even open squelch, or be poor copy, on the scanner with its outside antenna on the truck.

If you are into rail photography and a poor radio setup will mean a photo opportunity lost, you know what I'm talking about. :)

The stock antenna is not a good way to go for the railroad. Too much attenuation, and if you clip the radio to your belt while shooting, pretty much forget it for quality copy. The Pryme or Diamond antennas lessen detuning considerably.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.