Whats a good handheld radio for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Hey gpd2paul4, how're you doing with your new FT-60?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

So far it seems to be a great radio! I just got my call sign on Thursday and have been pretty busy since then, so I only was able to call out on one of the local repeaters yesterday a couple times. Unfortunately, I didn't get any responses yet. I kind of have a feeling that my signals aren't going out properly, but I don't know that for sure. I know the radio's transmitter is working at least a little bit because I made some test transmissions on a simplex frequency, and I was able to hear that on my scanner loud and clear.
I have a friend coming over today who used to be very involved in ham radio and is looking to get back involved, so if he and I together can't figure out why my signals aren't getting out, I will post again on here to see if any of you have any thoughts.

Once again, thank you guys very much for helping me pick a good radio, so far I love my FT-60R!

KC9VZV

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Hi again all,

I think I am having a little trouble connecting to repeaters with my FT-60R. I was able to make my first successful contact today, but the other station reported that my signals were only about 25% clear. I could hear the other station fine. I have tried hooking to multiple repeaters in the western suburbs and Chicago (I happened to be in Chicago for the day, so that gave me a good chance to try repeaters in the city) and each time the repeater "acknowledged" my transmission with the beep or automated voice, but I was listening on my scanner and my voice didn't go through. I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the transmitter on my radio.

If anyone has any insight, I would really appreciate it!
(Also, should I make a new thread for this issue or is this one sufficient?)

Thanks again!

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had that problem too, I just increase the transmitting power and then I get better signal reports. In fact, that happened today to me. I think partly it's the repeater reception of your signal and your surroundings.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had that problem too, I just increase the transmitting power and then I get better signal reports. In fact, that happened today to me. I think partly it's the repeater reception of your signal and your surroundings.

Ok. Thanks. I did check and the power output was on HIGH (5 watts), so I don't know if that is the problem. I think it is probably my surroundings because I have a lot of trees at home and a lot of tall buildings when I went to Chicago... So, that may very well be the problem. Anyone have other ideas of what I could do to get to these repeaters?

Thanks again!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Ok. Thanks. I did check and the power output was on HIGH (5 watts), so I don't know if that is the problem. I think it is probably my surroundings because I have a lot of trees at home and a lot of tall buildings when I went to Chicago... So, that may very well be the problem. Anyone have other ideas of what I could do to get to these repeaters?

Thanks again!

Get a better antenna? Are you using the stock antenna? If your using the radio while mobile you could look into getting a 2meter/440MHz mobile antenna.

LtDoc

It sounds like a simple matter of not being strong enough to make a "solid" hit with the repeater, which is fairly common. There are two ways to remedy that, better antenna, and more output. Probably the easiest/simplest 'cure' is to use a 'regular' antenna and not the 'rubberduck' on the radio. That's not going to be very convenient with a hand held radio, but it's certainly not impossible. More output isn't very practical with a hand held radio, as in, how are you going to carry the required equipment to supply that additional power. Again, not impossible, just not very convenient.
It's caused by there being obstructions of some kind between you and the repeater. Eliminate those obstructions and there's no problem. Or, 'over come' those obstructions and there's no problem. Neither are always possible, so you end up with whatever abilities the circumstances allow.
- 'Doc

Last edited:

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Get a better antenna? Are you using the stock antenna? If your using the radio while mobile you could look into getting a 2meter/440MHz mobile antenna.

Not a bad idea, but I read that unlike most radios, the rubber duck antenna that comes with this radio is almost equivalent to the "better" ones I could buy separate, so I didn't bother to get a separate one. If this would help though, I will purchase a third-party one. I tried operating with a mobile scanner antenna yesterday because I don't have a mobile ham antenna. I figured it couldn't hurt, so I gave it a try. I don't think it worked because I didn't get any replies but I don't know for sure. I may invest in one of those as well then. Thanks once again for all your help!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I do have this telescoping antenna from RadioShack that I originally purchased for my scanner. I just realized that it is also made for handheld ham transceivers, so this might work better. I can use my BNC to SMA adapter to attach it and that may work. Any thoughts?

Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna : Telescoping Antennas | RadioShack.com

How sturdy is it? I don't think that would be a great antenna to use while walking around and stuff.But other then that,give it a try and see what happens.

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
How sturdy is it? I don't think that would be a great antenna to use while walking around and stuff.But other then that,give it a try and see what happens.

It seems pretty good, and I was able to make some contacts on the local repeater with it yesterday, so I think this may do me for a while.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have any suggestions of another antenna for the Yaesu FT-60R? The stock antenna does not work much at all and my telescoping antenna works on and off. I did some searching and found a lot of good options, but I don't know where to start to know which one is best... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

kf4uuz

Go with the Diamond SRH-77CA.
Universal currently has them on sale for $19.95.

Trust me. You will be happy.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

So far it seems to be a great radio! I just got my call sign on Thursday and have been pretty busy since then, so I only was able to call out on one of the local repeaters yesterday a couple times. Unfortunately, I didn't get any responses yet. I kind of have a feeling that my signals aren't going out properly, but I don't know that for sure. I know the radio's transmitter is working at least a little bit because I made some test transmissions on a simplex frequency, and I was able to hear that on my scanner loud and clear.
I have a friend coming over today who used to be very involved in ham radio and is looking to get back involved, so if he and I together can't figure out why my signals aren't getting out, I will post again on here to see if any of you have any thoughts.

Once again, thank you guys very much for helping me pick a good radio, so far I love my FT-60R!

KC9VZV

If you choose to upgrade to a more versatile talkie,
check out the yaesu vx-6r You can have 6m,2m,220 and 440mhz. :)

n9zas

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
Go with the Diamond SRH-77CA.
Universal currently has them on sale for $19.95.

Trust me. You will be happy.

Ok. The reviews on eHam seem to agree with that statement, so I will be ordering it in a few minutes. Thanks for your help!

KC9VZV

Premium Subscriber
If you choose to upgrade to a more versatile talkie,
check out the yaesu vx-6r You can have 6m,2m,220 and 440mhz. :)

n9zas

Ok. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.
Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.