What's a good scanner, It's been 30 years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
What's a good scanner for about $200 ? , $300 tops. ( Base unit scanner not portablenot portable )

The last scanner I had was the RadioShack 400 channel that would listen to cell phone frequencies about 30 years ago.

I think the new scanners are much more complicated setting them up with the trunked-systems, so I would want something user-friendly because I pretty much am nervous all over again.
Just looking to be sent in the right direction, spending the day looking so far it looks like the Unidens have a nice units.

Thank you for your help in advance

Tom

Just looking to be sent in the right direction, spending the day looking so far it looks like the Unidens have a nice units.
Hi Tom.

I am in CT too.

What do you plan to monitor?

A lot of agencies are going digital.

Here is a listing of Uniden scanners. I can recommend the 325P2 handheld or the 996P2 models.

You'll have to check the prices.

Good luck!

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
Hi Tom.

I am in CT too.

What do you plan to monitor?

A lot of agencies are going digital.

Here is a listing of Uniden scanners. I can recommend the 325P2 handheld or the 996P2 models.

You'll have to check the prices.

Good luck!
Just the local police / fire, the state police. Nothing overly fancy but I just wanted to work correctly.
If I remember correctly now they have trunk systems and you have to program the scanners this is all foreign to me now.

Thank you for the input

If I remember correctly now they have trunk systems and you have to program the scanners
True, but there is software that makes it easy. When you have your scanner, I can make a file to get you started.

I use Freescan:

It's free.

State Police will need Phase II capable scanner as they are migrating that way.

The database here has the frequencies listed.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
The GPS switches systems on and off while you drive in and out of certain areas.
That's nice... Very cool. It also sounds like I'm limiting myself by staying with BASE UNIT.. I may want to be going to hand held..
Sorry for sounding stupid but it's because I am here ...

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
Nothing wrong with a handheld. Just the difference in Display and you have to consider batteries when off
a/c.
Scanners with SD cards now WTH LOL. ..... Sounds like I will be stupid to eliminate handhelds. And it sounds like digital is mandatory almost. Like you mentioned.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
People have used it for cross-country trips. I don't use one.

Here is the display of my Uniden 996XT scanner monitoring CSP.

It displays on my PC Monitor.

View attachment 74185
That's a nice scanner, almost $400 if I remember correctly what I saw, I'm trying to get a $200 scanner that's a digital... I really have a lot to learn here

Status
Not open for further replies.