What's a good scanner, It's been 30 years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
Am I a fool for even mentioning this scanner ? Uniden BC355N it sounds like it has local search ? And it sounds like it's digital. Cost was around $150.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
Not sure it's digital
I guess not.

From the link above:
"(Please note: model BC355N is not suitable for trunking or digital radio system monitoring. If you live in an area where trunking or digital radio systems are used, you need to upgrade to a Uniden Digital model (“D” stands for Digital), such as models BCD996P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD325P2, or HomePatrol-2. "

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
Yes I think the scanner I mentioned above is not digital, I would rather have the digital, I think the Connecticut state police are digital, I'm going to take a look at those scanners you mentioned above.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
I guess not.

From the link above:
"(Please note: model BC355N is not suitable for trunking or digital radio system monitoring. If you live in an area where trunking or digital radio systems are used, you need to upgrade to a Uniden Digital model (“D” stands for Digital), such as models BCD996P2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD325P2, or HomePatrol-2. "
For $400 scanners.... I'm starting to think I'm dreaming of a $200 analog scatter. LOL

KG4DRF

Not sure about the ws-1065. Have the ws-1040,handheld and it does pick up phase 2 APCO but not Phase 2 TMDA, had Whistler Tech confirm this for me. So if your area is using Phase 2 TMDA or Motorola DMR then you will have to up your budget and get a higher priced scanner. Also tech said there was no plan to offer upgrade on ws-1040 so figure since the 1065 is base version that no upgrades planned for it either.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
The scanning hobby has changed a lot since the Pro-2006 was cutting edge technology. If you want the latest and greatest equipment and if you want to keep up with the technology, yeah it's going to cost you some money. The right radio(s), the right antenna, multi-couplers, coax, etc. it can add up, that's for sure. When it comes to my hobby expenses, I always say to my wife - "Hey, it beats booby bars and boats and motorcycles!" It could be worse ;)

JD
kf4anc

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
The scanning hobby has changed a lot since the Pro-2006 was cutting edge technology. If you want the latest and greatest equipment and if you want to keep up with the technology, yeah it's going to cost you some money. The right radio(s), the right antenna, multi-couplers, coax, etc. it can add up, that's for sure. When it comes to my hobby expenses, I always say to my wife - "Hey, it beats booby bars and boats and motorcycles!" It could be worse ;)

JD
kf4anc
HAHA ... That's it, the pro 2006 is what I had LOL. I'm only looking to spend $200 maybe 300 max to listen to the local radio's.... It's only something I will use my own home. Not exactly a life or death thing but I would like to get something nice, I have to be the latest and greatest but I do want digital apparently. LOL

da2ricky

There's always the SDR (Software Defined Radio) route if you wanted to do it on the cheap, but there's a huge learning curve there. With the help of youtube and these forums, you could probably manage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.