What's a good scanner, It's been 30 years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
The BCD996P2 looks like the best radio for the money, however it's more than I want to spend.
So I'm gonna wait for this radio less there is an equivalent cheaper, I don't think there is it sounds like.

BCD996P2 really sounds like a nice radio.

What is the SDR you're talking about?

I have a lot to learn here this is for sure..

da2ricky

About RTL-SDR will give you the quick and dirty explanation of SDR. I've yet to get into SDR so my knowledge is limited.

I have a BCD996P2 and love it, but I plan on doing an SDR setup soon just to tinker with it.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
About RTL-SDR will give you the quick and dirty explanation of SDR. I've yet to get into SDR so my knowledge is limited.

I have a BCD996P2 and love it, but I plan on doing an SDR setup soon just to tinker with it.

Uniden BCD996P2 so far looks like it's the only logical way to go, I only wanted to spend 250-ish. See what happens for Christmas..

W5lz

For me that would be a very easy question to answer! What can I afford?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just put this in your bookmarks for the time being - it's an additional site with more Conn. information...

and our wiki also has some additional Conn. stuff...

And just to get your feet wet - ah heck, let's blow your mind a little bit, I enjoy seeing eyes get glazed over (heh) - our wiki has a great deal of information on the Uniden scanners...you can start here...

Notice that there are links for the Easier to Read manuals, explanation of trunking, links to our glossary (also wiki based) and a lot more. Also notice that we cover most every scanner Uniden has put out that trunks since the early days of the DMA movement. Each scanner has its own set of articles. So if you decide to go with another Uniden, just follow the chain and you'll be good to go.

Mike

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.
Just put this in your bookmarks for the time being - it's an additional site with more Conn. information...

and our wiki also has some additional Conn. stuff...

And just to get your feet wet - ah heck, let's blow your mind a little bit, I enjoy seeing eyes get glazed over (heh) - our wiki has a great deal of information on the Uniden scanners...you can start here...

Notice that there are links for the Easier to Read manuals, explanation of trunking, links to our glossary (also wiki based) and a lot more. Also notice that we cover most every scanner Uniden has put out that trunks since the early days of the DMA movement. Each scanner has its own set of articles. So if you decide to go with another Uniden, just follow the chain and you'll be good to go.

Mike

That's a very good link. Thanks. I can tell you one thing for sure, I will not enjoy programming these scanners. That's something I'll need to look into when the time comes.

victory-rc

Tom In Colchester,Ct.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Your Pro-2006 was a top-of-the-line scanner when it debuted in 1990. The price was about $400 USD. Adjusted for inflation that works out to $785 today. That’s about what today’s top-of-the-line Uniden SDS models go for, even though they are exponentially more complex electronically. In some ways the SDS radios are easier to program than the 325/996 P2 models, at least easier to get started with. They are designed to properly handle digital simulcast systems, which may or may not be an issue in your area. The older 325/996 models can be hit or miss with simulcast. More food for thought.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Exactly, come Christmas time I'm gonna buy that unit in phase 2 I believe it's called and Digital, should be about $350
Your $350 range will likely fit a P25 Phase 2 capable scanner around the holidays. There likely will be some sales that gives you one or more choices in that price range. Occasionally, you might find a deal on Black Friday.

However, if you're willing to be patient & check out available units, you may find a good condition, previously owned, scanner for less in the classifies here on RadioReference, on eBay, Craig's list, or other online sites.

Don't overlook the possibilities of pawn shops, garage, and estate sales. Often, you can find a diamond in the ditch because the seller has no idea what the actual value of the item is. Also, when you have time, skim through this long running thread about scanners and other radios found at thrift stores, like Goodwill. Thrift Store finds

Status
Not open for further replies.