What's a good uniden digital scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury853

I'm wanting to purchase a uniden digital scanner. In the past I have used analog scanners but as we all know we are moving into the digital age and I would like to be able to monitor some local frequencies that are now digital. I have seen some pictures of a uniden scanner with a remote head. Which of the digital uniden scanners are good and with ones allow for a remote display? Give me some ideas and maybe some pictures?

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm wanting to purchase a uniden digital scanner. In the past I have used analog scanners but as we all know we are moving into the digital age and I would like to be able to monitor some local frequencies that are now digital. I have seen some pictures of a uniden scanner with a remote head. Which of the digital uniden scanners are good and with ones allow for a remote display? Give me some ideas and maybe some pictures?
First thing I'd do is see exactly what systems are in your area & what you want to listen to. Having said that, & being a Uniden (& Radio Shack) fan. I would go 396/996XT unless you need P25p2 support then its 436/536 IMHO.

lep

I use the 996XT for the P-25 in a nearby metro area, for my local services I use the HP-1 for P-25, I have another 996 with remote head in my auto. I have another HP-1 for travel. I have a 436 but rarely use it because I still hope there will be a firmware update to improve the screen readability (the HP-1 spoiled me). Despite what you may read in the forums, there are a number of very good Uniden P-25 scanners from which to choose. Unfortunately the reputation of Uniden has been tarnished by some technical faults in the x36 series and some marketing mistakes about keeping uses informed of plans. I could easily afford a 536 but will not make a purchase until Uniden lives up to the "hype" they used to promote this series months ago.

scannerbuff999

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a 436hp and it work great and a 536 it works great also sorry every i thing most of problems are being blow way up , both radios will still work great to listen and here most everything you need to hear i love them both , anyway

joeuser

The Wretched
Yeah... I tried that link for myself. You'd be better off checking the database for yourself, or even better see what monitors in your neck of the woods are using... Scanner Master has a good idea there but it was way off for me & my area...

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012

eaf1956

Feed Provider

The 996 series can be used With the remote head which is a separate discontinued item. None of the Unidens have a detachable head that can be used remotely. Many wish that they did! Note that the remote head does NOT turn the scanner on and off.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
If you can get a 396XT or 996XT at very good price, and cost is an issue, you might consider those two scanners. But if want the best, and you can afford a bit more, I would go with the 436HP or 536HP. The built-in data bases, the record feature, the flexible programming, IMHO cannot be beat. Sure the 436HP and 536HP have some promised features that are still missing, but they will be coming eventually (don't ask me when). The 396XT and 996XT are 7 or 8 years old, and it is highly unlikely that any new functionality will be added to those units.
I use my 396XT and 996XT from time to time, but the display, record, ability to select service types, use location scanning (probably best when away from home) or favorite lists (ideally at home), and P25 decode quality keep me going back to the 436HP and 536HP as my main scanners. I also have the HP1Extreme but use the 436HP and 536HP much more often.
Also, if phase II is a possibility in your area, which if it is going digital will be likely sometime in the near future, the XT series won't do it for you. If your area goes DMR or NXDN, all bets are off these scanners. Then you need DSD plus software.
Now, if you can get a 396XT or 996XT for less than a couple of hundred bucks, then why not. Several have reported picking up 996XTs at about $100 at Radio Shack. But that is a fluke. Generally the 396XT and 996XT are going to run you near $400 or more new. For another hundred bucks or so, I would seriously look at the new Unidens. If you want to spend less, the older GRE/RS scanners are also an option.
Many folks who don't like the new Unidens and have stated so on the RRDB forums have never owned them. There is no way I can document the following statement: but I venture to say that more than 80% (and probably much higher) of those who have actually owned the new Unidens (436HP and 536HP) find them to be great scanners. Are they perfect? No. Are the features missing still? Yes.
Finally, with regard to remote, take a look at new software being developed by many members on this list. I'm using a Google Chrome application with a great display for the x36HPs written by Jeff (can remember his call sign) on this RRDB. Also, another fellow named Troy has written a nice application to consolidate and list the recordings on the new Unidens. There are also other types of these new software programs being written by RRDB members for the new Unidens. Butel and ProScan make commercial software for many of the Unidens, including the new ones, that are quite nice.
Hope I have not confused you Fury853. And there are obviously others with different opinions.
Basically, I am saying that if you are doing to spend several hundred bucks for a new digital scanner, you mind as well go with the newest technology, though it still needs to be developed further with firmware and updates.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.