What's better Digital RShack or Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkniii

Regarding digital trunked scanners, which is better, PRO96 or Uniden equivalent and why?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Features of the BCD396T, (that the Pro-96 DOES NOT HAVE or are better in the BCD396T)

-- MUCH smaller size
-- Fire ToneOut feature
-- Close Call frequency capture feature
-- Longer alpha-tags (16 vs 12)
-- LTR trunking (except Passport and MultiNet)
-- EDACS Narrowband trunking (Except ProVoice on any EDACS system)
-- EDACS SCAT trunking
-- EDACS Emergency ID feature
-- I-Calls
-- Patch Tracking
-- Status Bit option (on or off) (3600 systems only, of course)
-- End Code option (detect or ignore)
-- Lockout Talkgroups without taking away available ID channels
-- Up to 200 Talkgroups ID's per bank (vs 150 in the 96)
-- Up to three Base/Offset ranges for VHF/UHF through the keypad
-- More custom search ranges (10 vs 1)
-- Above ranges may be searched WITH SCAN!
-- More pre-programmed searches
-- Data Skip option
-- More priority channels (infinite number vs 1 per bank)
-- Selectable frequency step sizes (Auto, 5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5, 25, 50 and 100kHz)
-- More frequency modes (supports SNFM and WFM)
-- Auto Store during a search
-- Beep Alert for desired frequencies or talkgroups
-- Faster scanning and searching rate (theoretically 100 ch/sec vs 60 ch/sec)
-- Priority Plus option (Scans only priority channels)
-- More channels per 'bank' (unlimited vs 50) and more total channels (6000 vs 500) of immediate use (meaning without having to load from memory or computer program)
-- 20 Groups (as opposed to 5 TGID sub-banks)
-- Above with up to 200 TGs (as opposed to 30 IDs per sub-bank)
-- Computer Control (Not just programming)
-- Reverse Frequency button (Repeater input)
-- Lockout specific CTCSS/DCS during scanning or searching (Tone LockOut)
-- PC Cable included
-- Power supply included
-- Batteries included (3 NiMH 2300 mAH)
-- User upgradeable firmware
-- FREE UASD software
-- Squelch operated backlight option
-- Skips over all encrypted transmissions (PRO-96 only does on 3600 systems and when both sides are using it)
-- Up to 400 systems (trunked, conventional, or mixed)
-- MilAir coverage spec'ed (96 has MilAir expansion abilities at reduced sensitivity)
-- Some TV (CHs 2-20) coverage (none on 96)
-- FM Broadcast support (none on 96 - frequencies can be opened, but not heard clearly)
-- On-frequency support of the FedBand (96 uses 5 kHz steps I.E. 166.1600 MHz as opposed to 166.1625 MHz)

Features of the Pro-96, (that the BCD396T DOES NOT have or are better in Pro-96):

-- Louder audio
-- Better screen and keypad backlighting (debatable)
-- More backlight functions and delays
-- Wider screen fonts
-- More reliable Subaudible Squelch Tail Elimination turn-off codes (debatable)
-- V-Scanner Folders feature (Virtually 11 scanners-in-one or 5500 channels total)
-- Excellent software (Win96 by Don Starr)
-- Battery Low threshold adjustable (Through software)
-- Up to six Base/Offset ranges for VHF/UHF trunked systems through software (Only one through the keypad)
-- Analog volume and squelch controls (BCD396T has 16 digital steps on each)
-- Easier to store found CTCSS/CDCSS tones/codes
-- V-folders can quickly restore a default setup (clear lockouts, etc)
-- Infinite backlight availability without losing timed setting.
-- Can remove from belt much easier if you have other devices on belt
(396 must be turned upside down to remove)
-- Can scan several zones/sites in the same bank. (only need one scan list)

Trade-offs:
-- SMA (396) vs BNC (96)
-- Blue backlight (396) vs Amber (96)
-- PRO-96 has rubber grip issues - 396 may have printing issues (too new to tell)
-- Faster to change 96 battery 'pack' vs only 3 cells for 396 (loose)

Note: This list will be updated as required.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17894

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
There are stickies about this same info...might want to do some searching before asking questions that have already been answered a million times before :)
Also: bravo14 posted the info you need...anything else is just people voicing their personal opinions and should be taken very lightly....just be aware of any posts that say "All Uniden Scanners Rule and Radio Shack/GRE Suck!!!" or "Radio Shack is the best and Uniden Suck!!"...both companies radios have plus/minuses....
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I hear ya. I had the pro96 I didn't like it much. It didn't do tv fm or LTR systems. I have the 396 it does good for me. It depends what that person is looking for I just hate carring 2 scanners one for FD and the other LTR.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
That list looks so familiar to one I made a while ago! hmmmm..... ;)

Here's some corrections:

bravo14 said:
-- Skips over all encrypted transmissions (PRO-96 only does on 3600 systems and when both sides are using it)

The BCD36T doesn't actually skip them, only mutes them.

-- More priority channels (infinite number vs 1 per bank)

The Pro-96 actually has 1 priority for the whole radio not per bank.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
KE4ZNR said:
Also: bravo14 posted the info you need...anything else is just people voicing their personal opinions and should be taken very lightly....

Then what's the point of the forum if he's going to only listen to one or two people and take everyone else "lightly"?

Besides, I just submitted two corrections to the list that are NOT personal opinions but FACTS.

Did I mentioned that list looks very familiar? hint, hint.... ;)

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
kikito said:
Then what's the point of the forum if he's going to only listen to one or two people and take everyone else "lightly"?

Besides, I just submitted two corrections to the list that are NOT personal opinions but FACTS.

Did I mentioned that list looks very familiar? hint, hint.... ;)

Well there are 2 types of info that can come out of this thread:
1) Researched info such as the type Bravo14 posted above...which should give the guy all the info he needs (besides the 2 minor corrections)...
2) Usual crap that shows up such as "Uniden is #1 and all Radio Shack scanners suck so go with Uniden!!!!" or "Radio Shack is the best EVER and don't buy Uniden EVER cause they suck!!!"
I hate to say it but most threads end up with more of the 2nd than the first...and the main point of my post was that this thread could have been avoided in the first place with a little bit of searching past threads before posting :)
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
kikito I saw that list a few months ago and I copy and paste it but left the site with it too. That list is not mine just let you all know that! I did some research before I got the BCD396T. I like the Fire Tone Out I can program the FD stations I want to page out instead hearing all pages. I don't understand why RSpro 96 doesn't pick up TV or FM it comes up with the Freq but can't hear nothing because it is not WFM. I'm sure soon be another radio does better than those 2! I have Alinco DJX10T that picks up all TV stations even in the 600 and 700 range. It goes from 1khz-2 ghz.

car2back

the GRE radios have better audio quality and seem to recieve digital transmissions better, IMHO. (this coming from a Uniden guy)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
KE4ZNR said:
2) Usual crap that shows up such as "Uniden is #1 and all Radio Shack scanners suck so go with Uniden!!!!" or "Radio Shack is the best EVER and don't buy Uniden EVER cause they suck!!!"

I understand and agree totally with that point.

....and the main point of my post was that this thread could have been avoided in the first place with a little bit of searching past threads before posting

That's true. People should research a little more and then ask more specific questions. That's been a "peeve" of mine too.

N3HCP

Premium Subscriber
You need them both!

I have both Uniden abd RS radios going back more years then I care to admit. Both are fine brands. IMHO get the one with the features you like and/or need. or you could do what I do...get both!

Status
Not open for further replies.