What's going on in Cowlitz Co?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Just looked at the DB and noted some changes for Cowlitz Co. Shows a NXDN link btwn Co fire NFM, apparently simulcasting?
I was aware one of the Fire Districts had gone to a NXDN type system which I thought strange since the entire County is VHF-HI, so that link isn't odd I guess, but there is no mention of any other frequencies.
Then the other odd thing is that 7 Fire TACs which were NFM are now listed as "Depricated". My thought is how odd that is to remove all of the Tac frequencies. Is this some sort of precursor to a new TRS? Or is something else happening up there?

RBMTS

We had a user confirm that FD has moved to NXDN. Supposedly the analog frequencies are no longer being used. We are awaiting input on the new digital tac channels.

If you have any info, please "submit" it via the database (not just here).

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Don't have DMR or NXDN capability, but do get tons of interference with my analog channels which those in the know tell me are NXDN transmissions which apparently do proliferate the Cowlitz Co. and Columbia Co. , Oregon airwaves.

I understood it was only one fire district up in Cowlitz which had purchased from kenwood which had pissed off the County. Interesting to see they got on board with more than a change or simulcasting of the primary Dispatch.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Don't have DMR or NXDN capability, but do get tons of interference with my analog channels which those in the know tell me are NXDN transmissions which apparently do proliferate the Cowlitz Co. and Columbia Co. , Oregon airwaves.

For $15 you don't have DMR/NXDN/P25/DSTAR/FUSION capability?? For shame...

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Last time I checked I would need from $60 - 85 to get the conversion on my 436, depending upon where I purchased it. And what do you know that's available for $15, I'm curious.

I have several P25 capable radios, no DMR/NXDN.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
So who makes that and for what radios is it available? Only "dongle" I have heard of was supposed to be for the 536, but at first several threads thought it simply "vaporware" so never knew whether it ever materialized in reality. What are you referring to?

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
Well, wasn't $15; is not a radio but requires you (apparently since you didn't answer the question directly on which radio) to tie up a computer for that instead of using a radio itself. Didn't know about dongles doing the same thing as the SDRs that were available over 10 years ago struggling to find anything but you write your own software. If I wanted to get into that, I'd get an SDS100/200. But I like to use my computer as a reference tool and to program, etc. I think the "living under a rock for the past 6 years" was a tad snarky as well as impertinent. I had a question concerning what was happening there and not trying to get into a discussion of tech unless someone trying to be helpful. I appreciate Box Alarm 187 for his support. We all have our areas of expertise. Having been in the hobby for more than 50 years I have gone through so many changes in technology it would make your head spin. When Trunking came along the hobby was supposed to be doomed, yet 30 years later here we are. But I don't write code and even though used PCs since 1981, it is not my primary interest. To me it's not a game or fun but merely a tool. My passion has always been with radios. I will truly love to hear informative narratives here but snarky is so Facebookish.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
One major problem with the "$15 solution" is it is NOT mobile. Certainly not as mobile as an SDS-100/etc.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Sadly those instructions are WAY out of date. They're much more simplified today. It's a good starting place though.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
One major problem with the "$15 solution" is it is NOT mobile.

Huh? Ever hear of a laptop? That's a portable computer with a battery. There's also these devices called 'tablet computers' that are very thin and some even have touch screens.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Huh? Ever hear of a laptop? That's a portable computer with a battery. There's also these devices called 'tablet computers' that are very thin and some even have touch screens.
Perhaps I should have used the term portable. Sure if you're in a vehicle a laptop or tablet can be used. But I want something I can carry and monitor with (or can be used in a vehicle). You get what you pay for. The $15 solution is too limiting for me.

PaulNDaOC

Only if you've been truly living under a rock the past 6 years!
Since this is a place to exchange and learn information and you already know it all you should be aware you are wasting your time coming to this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.