What's going on in Lyon Co?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Just got home from a 4th BBQ and hear a lot of strange traffic on 453.400 179.9. They all seem stressed. They are talking about a perimiter, bringing a kit to an apartment etc... I don't monitor stuff to the South much but this doesn't sound normal.

nec911

While running the Command Post at our event, I heard traffic on the KSICS about a HazMat call they were on. If they said KIT, that could mean a large number of different things wrong.

joeuser

The Wretched
HazMat for a fire tho? I'd wonder about maybe a meth lab?

Either way nice find! Must be good listening :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 - Windows Phone 8.1 using Tapatalk

kd0ega

Premium Subscriber

Kind of have my doubts about it being a meth lab....it WAS an assisted living center for seniors...I am guessing 02 cylinders/tanks

joeuser

The Wretched
lol, I didn't know that but I'm leaning towards your assessment now! ;-)

nec911

News station up here just did a twit on social media that indicates that the Fire was started by Fireworks.

The "kit" they were talking about was apparently specialized equipment to get the special folks out of the facility.

The HazMat I was hearing traffic about was at BETO junction and unrelated. Apparently someone decided to run off with a gas nozzle in their car tank. It was only a couple gallons.

A lot of cross traffic. Nothing like having seven radios to listen to at the Command Post the other night to keep SA.

nec911

It is not known outside the HazMat circles, but most of us in the local HazMat response do not do much with Meth Labs anymore. No one is really licensed in the public sector to do "clean-up" and we only do "containment" for the most part. Make sure it can be secured in place, can be guarded and won't impact the public or environment. From there it is the private sector businesses that get to come in and do the clean up as well as collect the monies. If local's did it, we would be still be working on meth labs from four years ago because of the time consumption and expense.

It is too costly for a local department or even a regional department to do anything other than contain and secure and then sit and wait for the private sector boys/girls to come in. If I win the lottery and want to keep working, HazMat is the business I would start because there are a lot of places doing cleanup but there is room for more because regulations are getting more expensive.

Like KAA951, I got training to do both cleanup and containment, but my department cannot afford nor can I afford the insurance to do anything more than contain and secure. Not to mention the equipment, storage and disposal fees. Good money in it, but you have to do it right.

I would rather deal with a NBC incident than a Meth Lab. At least I know the dangers and can plan for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.