What's going on in PG????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've spent some time in Watkins Regional Park in Upper Marlboro over the past few days, and noticed that the park folks still have VHF sticks on their trucks, as well as one or two folks having VHF sized antennas on their HTs. I have yet to hear them on the PG system, although I readily admit that I am not in PG county all day (I work in Woodlawn) and I have a hard time hearing the system from where I live (1st floor, signal quality is very poor)

I am going to put the old VHF freqs back in my spare radio and see what develops, but it appears not all of the park folks have transferred to the new system yet

best regards..Mike

troymail

Silent Key
I'm well aware of that, but WHEN it is in FDMA the HP1 works GREAT on PG. I added the system manually thru ARC Sentinel. Just because sometimes it's in TDMA shouldn't restrict the database from containing it.

Uniden probably filters it out because MOST of the communications on the system are not able to be heard on the HP-1 since MOST are in TDMA. They'd then have to explain why it doesn't work right to the Novice audience that radio is designed for.... just a guess.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That would be a bad impression. I listen to the PG system on my 396, and like others have said, there is still a great deal of FDMA to be heard. I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but I suspect that the officers (and fire folks) don't understand and/or don't trust the TDMA side of this system yet.

Uniden should get on the ball and include it in an update, if they haven't already. It's just a case of not knowing the system...best regards..Mike

troymail

Silent Key
That would be a bad impression. I listen to the PG system on my 396, and like others have said, there is still a great deal of FDMA to be heard. I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but I suspect that the officers (and fire folks) don't understand and/or don't trust the TDMA side of this system yet.

Uniden should get on the ball and include it in an update, if they haven't already. It's just a case of not knowing the system...best regards..Mike

Of course we're all just speculating but I doubt the users of the system are being given a "choice" of FDMA or TDMA -- most probably have no idea what the difference is.

If you have the opportunity/ability, take a look at the system on Pro96Com or Unitrunker.. there may be some FDMA but you'll clearly see most of the activity is TDMA. A majority of the FDMA activity is based on the fact that an FDMA only radio (usually an out of County unit) entered onto the talkgroup which forces that talkgroup into FDMA for the duration. Even if someone, say a user in AA County switches onto a talkgroup in PG just to listen to a call, the talkgroup will go FDMA until that radio leaves the TG. Being a constant user of the old DOS version of Trunker to watch Anne Arundel County, you'd be amazed how many radios appear on a talkgroup to "listen" when they aren't even on the call/incident. This could be another reason for the level of FDMA still active on the PG system.

I will admit that I haven't watched Pro96Com lately -- I might plug it later to take a look and see if something has changed....

Keep in mind that if a novice user is listening to this system on an HP-1 and they hear activity sometimes and not others, they'll likely suspect that their radio is "on the fritz" - only receiving on occasion. Uniden would get flooded with reports that the radio is not working properly.

Like I said - just my opinion.... we all got 'em!

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Yeah well, here's how I feel about that: The novice user is going to put in their zip code and select "fire dispatch" and "fire tac", they are still going to hear the 490 traffic today. Occasionally they will hear the P25 traffic as an added bonus once that system is included in the download! Once RR decides to un-tag the 490 frequencies because everyone has switched to P25, those users wont have anything to listen to in PG unless the database starts including this system. I don't get it. Just because you can't hear it all the time is no reason to not include it. That would be similar to not providing a channel that is "sometimes" encrypted. Well heck, what if I do want to hear that occasional clear traffic?

chief34a

Haven't been on the forum for a while since I was out in OK/KS/NE on my storm chasing job that I have every spring. To answer a couple of questions that I have read -

Troymail-like you said, we do not know if the radio is operating in FDMA or TDMA or care. ALL, let me repeat that, ALL talkgroups are primary TDMA talkgroups. For the talkgroups that are dynamic, they will change to FDMA if a out of county radio checks up on the talkgroup. It was well known during the design process that the dispatch talkgroup would be FDMA a lot of the time because of out of county units listening in on what is going on.

As for the portables, the latest plan (subject to change without notice) is that the first engine, and each special service in the station, will have a portable for each belted riding position. The second pumper will have 4 portables. If a station wants or needs more they will have to buy the radios. Ambulances will have 2 portables as previously planned.

As of Friday the portables are expected late June/early July and after a training period and some field experience the system will completely change over to 700 and the 490 will be shut down for public safety (there are other plans for the 490 channels). Best guess on that is August/September.

And that is about all I know right now.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the update John. So, Uniden better change that database!

kd5enp

PG County radios

Chief 34A,
Just a question? I was told that Volunteer companies could not purchase radios. And later down the line are volunteers going to be able to purchase these radios and have the county radio shop program these for them? Also whats the new use planned for the old 490 freqs?

KD5ENP

chief34a

Volunteer companies can purchase as many radios as they want and piggy back on the county contract. The companys will have to sign the form that we have been using for years, that they will play by the county rules and GO's. At that point they can issue their radios to any member or place them on the apparatus. Individuals will NOT be allowed to put radios on the system. The county radio shop will do all the necessary programming on the radios that the volunteer companies purchase. A couple of companies have done this already (including 34) and are waiting for the portables to come in.

The present planning is for some of the 490 freqs are going to be used on a 490 trunked system for public works, "The Bus" system, animal control and some others. The purpose is to provide a system that doesn't have to be portable capable, and to ensure the new system doesn't get overloaded in the future. Of course these plans can change at any time...............

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some questions;

a. Re the 490 system - I had heard that some of the towers and gear is in pretty rotten shape. Is the county going to refurbish this system for the new services trunk?

b. I'm pretty sure that Laurel, Greenbelt, Riverdale Park and Hyattsville are not yet on the system, contrary to what the trunk db entry says. I do remember someone saying that Bladensburg is on the system, in which case it seems likely that their old 453.9 freq should be dropped from the database (keep in mind that BWI police were also using that freq, albeit with a different PL). I do hear Greenbelt and Laurel on their usual channels on occasion driving around the Beltway heading up 95 going to work

c. I haven't heard anything on the 159.27 M-NCPPC police channel at all - even though the FCC db says that they still have an allocation there (no great shock there...). Has anyone ever heard anything there? If not it too should be dropped...

d. What about MSP Forestville? I don't have a PSR-800 so I can't validate that entry in the trunk system, either. I do hear them on their VHF lo band channel from time to time, though...

e. Where is the city of Bowie PD? I don't see them on either the conventional nor the new trunk, although the few times I did see them, I didn't notice any antennas on their cars...they could be using portables, I suppose...

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

chief34a

Some answers..........

Re the 490 system - I had heard that some of the towers and gear is in pretty rotten shape. Is the county going to refurbish this system for the new services trunk?

Transmitter sites are in pretty good condition although transmitters will have to be changed to accomadate a trunking system. Some of the receiver sites are in pretty bad condition and will probably be shut down. They won’t need as many receiver sites since the system won’t be designed for the needs of public safety (portable coverage in buildings).

b. I'm pretty sure that Laurel, Greenbelt, Riverdale Park and Hyattsville are not yet on the system, contrary to what the trunk db entry says. I do remember someone saying that Bladensburg is on the system, in which case it seems likely that their old 453.9 freq should be dropped from the database (keep in mind that BWI police were also using that freq, albeit with a different PL). I do hear Greenbelt and Laurel on their usual channels on occasion driving around the Beltway heading up 95 going to work

I know Hyattsville has had radios installed but I don’t know the status of the municipal police departments.

c. I haven't heard anything on the 159.27 M-NCPPC police channel at all - even though the FCC db says that they still have an allocation there (no great shock there...). Has anyone ever heard anything there? If not it too should be dropped...

Park Police is completely on the new system. None of the VHF channels are being used by police. Maintenance and Park Rangers are still on their VHF freqs.

d. What about MSP Forestville? I don't have a PSR-800 so I can't validate that entry in the trunk system, either. I do hear them on their VHF lo band channel from time to time, though...

Plans were made for MD State PD to be on the system if they wanted. No State PD units are on the system at this time……..

e. Where is the city of Bowie PD? I don't see them on either the conventional nor the new trunk, although the few times I did see them, I didn't notice any antennas on their cars...they could be using portables, I suppose...

Bowie is completely on the system with mobiles in the cars and portables for the officers.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmm, they must only be using their old freqs when they need to. I haven't heard them in about 2 weeks, so I guess that's the reason why. That leaves Riverdale Park as the lone holdout.

I'll put out a database change rec for the lone M-NCPPC police freq and Bladensburg PD; probably should put something out to drop Hyattsville, Greenbelt and Laurel PDs too - I'll do that this evening.

Thanks Chief and baybum..Mike

paintballpro650

Premium Subscriber
What I am having trouble with is if I import the radio reference data onto my program and sync it without making any changes why wont it work?

baybum

I'd be willing to give it a shot sometime this week.
Would I use the same frequencies that he used in his tables? Or would this have to be figured out for PG specifically?

baybum

Update...

I tried this using his tables. (I used tables 00-03)
Drove to Laurel City.
I can lock up on several PD talk groups,...01, 19, 55, 199, etc.... but I get no voice. The best decoding percentage I could get was around 80%.
The FDMA fire talk groups were coming in, but very choppy.
Sometime this week, I'll go further into PG county for a better than 80% signal and try it again.

Report to follow.

My radio is a Pro-106

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.