What's going on in PG????

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

On my Pro-106, From Ellicott City, I just locked up on, and heard a slightly readable voice on TG 1133.
It was garbled and low volume...but it was there.
I'm showing anywhere from 32% to 54% on the decode meter.

Mike

troymail

Silent Key
Took a "Sunday drive" down Route 301 through PG County. Had my radio programmed in 4 different VFolders:

North Zone control frequency only
South Zone control frequency only
N&S zones control frequencies (2) only
N&S Zones with multiple frequencies programmed

Kept the radio on config #3 above for most of the drive -- switched to config #2 once I got past Upper Marlboro.

Noticed the radio switching around between the North and South control channels/zones once I dropped below Bowie.

Fire 8A1 (Dispatch) and most all of the police talkgroups were received throughout the drive regardless of being on the north or south zones/control frequencies.

Once in the lower part of the County (below Brandywine - actually crossed into Charles County and went east then north back into PG), I switched off all but FIRE (police are obviously working and present!).

Never heard anything on FIRE other than dispatch (TG 1133 - 8A1) even though there were multiple dispatches onto 8C7 (and I could hear activity on the old Channel 7 regularly).

I'm suspecting that for FIRE, - with exception of 8A1 (Dispatch) the only time there is activity on the new system is when a unit using a new radio.... and today I heard none at all. This matches what I'm seeing on the north side since more often than not, although there is a significant number of assignments onto 8A2 (ch 2), activity on 8A2 (TG 1135) is extremely spotty.

I guess I'll wait until the system is more fully in use by FIRE (anyone know when that is expected?) before burning another $20-25 worth of gasoline.:p

chief34a

All zones in the FD system are up and running. As far as what talkgroups are active see post #1. It does not matter if a new radio is on the talkgroup or not, all the present channels are tied into the new system per post #1 and will remain that way until the changeover is completed.

troymail

Silent Key
All zones in the FD system are up and running. As far as what talkgroups are active see post #1. It does not matter if a new radio is on the talkgroup or not, all the present channels are tied into the new system per post #1 and will remain that way until the changeover is completed.

Hmmmmm....... something's not right here --- you may be forcing me to take back me words and return to the south of PG again this weekend for more extensive testing.

I was sitting on Site 102 with a wildcard programmed in the PSR800. I also had a 2nd radio monitoring the old Ch 7.

I'd hear dispatches on the new system (Ch 1 / 8A1) with assignments to Ch 7 / 8C7.... I'd clearly hear units (dispatch and street units) on the old Ch 7 frequency but nothing on the new system....

Is anyone in the south using Pro96Com or anything else that would show talkgroups active other than what I am already seeing which include 8A1, 8A2(occasionally), 8A4, 8A7, 8A8, 8A9, or 8A11???

Last edited:

rkight

Premium Subscriber
I also had PRO96 running for a couple of hours last night. The only consistent FD TG's coming up were A1 (1133) and the PD TG's. I was also monitoring Channel 2, 3,4 and 7. No TG hits were showing for the channel 2 and 7 activity on PRO96.

I am confused as well.

troymail

Silent Key
I also had PRO96 running for a couple of hours last night. The only consistent FD TG's coming up were A1 (1133) and the PD TG's. I was also monitoring Channel 2, 3,4 and 7. No TG hits were showing for the channel 2 and 7 activity on PRO96.

I am confused as well.

Cool - you just saved me another $25 worth of gas!

ssinglet

Wildcard hits

Is there a place to list wildcard hits in PG county, I don't want to add them to the database until they are confirmed.

The reason I ask is tonight at the drive at 5, I got 8 wildcard hits, I am going to turn on the audio recording to try to figure out who they belong to.

Thanks,

Steve

troymail

Silent Key
Is there a place to list wildcard hits in PG county, I don't want to add them to the database until they are confirmed.

The reason I ask is tonight at the drive at 5, I got 8 wildcard hits, I am going to turn on the audio recording to try to figure out who they belong to.

Thanks,

Steve

I believe the RR admins will only post talkgroups with known usage/users -- but we can always share them here and compare notes.

Note: I have about 115 talkgroups that have shown active at one time or another - I run in record mode all day at work each day and "pull in the net" each night to see what I caught (-;

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Or as I have mentioned on many occasions <sigh>, you can use the wiki to track unknown talkgroups - there's a section reserved for them in this article;

Prince George's County Project 25

I would encourage posting all that info in one place - that way when everything is settled down and mapped, it can be submitted to the DBA en masse, instead of piecemeal.

It's not hard to learn how to edit in Mediawiki - really! All you need do in it's simplest form is to precede each talkgroup with an asterisk in the leftmost column - no need for hard coded breaks or any other messy HTML code. It's done like this;

* tg1133 - multiple fire channels patched here
* tgxxxx - put your description here...

Anyone can edit most any of the pages in the wiki - if you have trouble signing on please send Lindsay an email - the admins do not have access to the password/user id servers

best regards..Mike

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
We may be driving through on Saturday heading to Wilmington by crossing the Potomac on US-301 and staying with it all the way.

In the 800 I have 19 PG TG's, all Law and the rest FD/EMS. I have the same setup in a PSR-600 but understand I'll likely only hear Fire/EMS.

Tell me this troy, you saved 25, could you donate 12 1/2 bucks for my test? :p

Also is it feasible to use 301 all the way. Last time going through your direction we drove I-95, which was a parking lot until exiting in Wilmington. I've used Eastern Shore (US-13) since which is a very nice route after getting out of VA Beach.

troymail

Silent Key
Or as I have mentioned on many occasions <sigh>, you can use the wiki to track unknown talkgroups - there's a section reserved for them in this article;

Prince George's County Project 25

I would encourage posting all that info in one place - that way when everything is settled down and mapped, it can be submitted to the DBA en masse, instead of piecemeal.

It's not hard to learn how to edit in Mediawiki - really! All you need do in it's simplest form is to precede each talkgroup with an asterisk in the leftmost column - no need for hard coded breaks or any other messy HTML code. It's done like this;

* tg1133 - multiple fire channels patched here
* tgxxxx - put your description here...

Anyone can edit most any of the pages in the wiki - if you have trouble signing on please send Lindsay an email - the admins do not have access to the password/user id servers

best regards..Mike

....and there you go!

troymail

Silent Key
Tell me this troy, you saved 25, could you donate 12 1/2 bucks for my test? :p

Nah. I suspect I'm heading down there again in the not too distant future..... and gas prices just keep going up and up.... $90 to fill my tank last Saturday before the trip --- and I probably burned up 1/3 of the Sunday driving down to and around Brandywine....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Good work on posting those tgs, Troy. Now let's see if we can get some folks to step up to the plate and add some descriptions to them...

Watch out when quoting that article - there's a forum bug that creates an invalid URL when the last character is a parenthesis. To get around it, anyone can reference the article by clicking on the PG county link found here...

Maryland Counties - the RR Wiki

best regards..Mike

Last edited:

baybum

I'm wiki-challenged.... so if someone can add these please. I have verified them.

211- Greenbelt City
205- Hyattsville City
199- Laurel City
223- Mt. Ranier

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
A little of topic&#8230;. So what happens to the old system and its frequencies? Can the old system be re used again to some other jurisdiction? Also does anyone have any idea how much longer my Motorola HT1000 portable radio will be of use? With the change of the frequency of the &#8220;dispatch channel&#8221; does this also mean the &#8220;paging frequency&#8221; will be changed as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.